šŸ”¶ Hifiman HE6SE

Iā€™m listening now, this was an awesome suggestion and I think fixed the issue. The lower clip had come loose since there is not a lot of tolerance especially with Dekoni Hybrids.

I did notice SPL seemed to be lower in left channel but thought it was driver-related since many people have discussed this.

I check for channel balance using a phone decibel meter app and online test tone generator to switch left and right and at least get a rough idea if you have an issue. The way to correct for it would be the APO equalizer and Peace front end. In Peace thereā€™s a hearing test where you run it and itā€™ll correct for it and build a custom profile just for your hearing with those headphones on. A simpler way is getting a reading with the phone app and adjust the L/R balance that way. If the balance is an issue at different frequencies, then the hearing test will probably be more useful.
Iā€™ve had them several times and great with the Autoeq profile in Peace. Just the power needed to do it gets pretty epic, worth it though.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried powering the HE6 with the Fossi Audio ZA3? Next time thereā€™s a sale, Iā€™ll pick one up along with the opamp upgrade.
If it doesnā€™t work well, then itā€™ll mostly likely at least be an upgrade for my Rega Brio speaker amp

I have an HE6se and used the HE-Adapter before and it could easily power it, but distortion from a speaker amp might not be worth it. Just get a Sabaj A20h which are very inexpensive and on the balanced side and a 5 volt DAC it can handle them. If you equalize with something like an autoeq profile at -6.9b they will sound amazing, but power requirements soar. Even stock, my Topping A70Pro is at -17db to get them loud, and a preamp reduction like that during quiet recordings will push even that to itā€™s limit with a 5 volt DAC helping.
If you donā€™t plan on equalizing, a lot of things can power them. Try a -6.9db reduction and the extended version of Tonight, tonight, tonight by Genesis and youā€™ll realize just how much power you need. Even my Topping A90 was at the end of high gain. To use a speaker amp and HE-Adapter it just wasnā€™t worth the sound quality tradeoff.

1 Like

If I recall correctly, Zeos found the ZA3 specifically (monoblock mode) to work great with the Modhouse Tungstens. So I figured it was also worth trying it on the HE6.
I have a Soloist 3X. So I donā€™t require a new amp for it. But it would be nice to have the extra option for when Iā€™m in a different room.