đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Sundara

@I0000days Seems decisions been made, but I am Loving my Beyer DT 880/600.
Light, comfy, great SS and imaging, and detail to die for (or from, lol)
Still love my Sundaras, but the DT 880 never gets congested in busy orchestral moments. I like the Sundara’s more forward female vocals though.

1 Like

Just got a used pair of Sundaras for a good price. These things can give my Clear Mg’s a run for there money
 Jeez :wink:
Unfortunately, they are not anywhere near as comfortable as the Clears. Maybe I have big ears. But, the Sundara is so smooth. Anyone know how to make them more comfortable?

1 Like

I just bought a new sundara 2021. Cable is too stiff, earpads are too thin, headband scratches the annodised aluminium off itself when you adjust it on the inside side, earcups can’t rotate left/right on your head with ease to uniformly distribute the clamping force around your ears, I don’t like these headphones.

I think that this headband is aesthetically pleasing, but not their most comfortable for me.
The cable is both not as good as a few of the Drop collabs (HE-X4 as one) but not as bad as some of the other HFM cables. Easily replaced, very available termination format. Too much clamp and no swivel are comfort drawbacks for sure.

All that said, listen to them for a bit get used to them and then decide what you think.
Everything that you’ve listed here are pretty widely held understandings and discussions about Sundara. If the sound isn’t worth it for you, send them back or sell them. Hope you have decent source for them.

1 Like

Personally, I find these headphones to be extremely comfortable. I definitely prefer the Suspension headband to that shit they put on the XS. That is a non-starter for me. And since I replaced the cable, they sound better than ever. Still a little bass light, but a little EQ takes care of that. I’m very happy with mine.

Just goes to show, though, no one headphone is going to be loved by all. There is always that leap of faith when we decide to try something. Sometimes it doesn’t pay off. You just never know until you have them on.

2 Likes

Anyone who has an HE 560, can you compare it with the Sundara (assuming you own both)

I’m curious because I’ve seen the 560 go for less than half the price of the Sundara recently on some sites

Anyone knows how to remove the pantyhose layer under the grills? I want them to open their soundstage a little bit.

Don’t you may heavily damage the sound quality

I have a Sundara and a HE560v4 (from adorama). I like both of them, first obvious thing is the build - the Sundara is all metal and has the leather suspension strap headband, the HE560v4 has more of a typical hifiman build like the he400se or he6v2.

The Sundara is a little bit easier to drive so at same volume setting will be louder. The Sundara to me is really resolving, everything sounds super crisp and you can hear alot of detail and separation of instruments, and its a bit brighter neutral, feels like it extends more in the treble. The HE560 to my ears sounds warmer, has more bass, sounds full and rich, but may be a little less resolving, less crisp (but still great like a planar). On my HE560 I swapped out the stock grille with a fabric mesh grille that opens it up quite a bit which I think makes the soundstage bigger and maybe more airy than the Sundara although the Sundara is not bad on soundstage as well

I think Sundara probably is a little more comfortable because of the suspension strap, but I do like the reflective glossy dark navy and black finish on the he560, and its comfortable enough if you have ever tried one of these hifiman headbands.

3 Likes

Question what do you use with your Sundaras?
Iv’e tried them on two setups, an IFI zen stack (Zen DAC + Zen Can) and a topping stack (D50s + E30) Via 4.4mm balanced.

Gotta say i like them way better on the Topping stack, the “cleanliness” suits the neutral sound signature of the Sundara.

One thing i gotta say i was kind of surprised at the amount of power they want, while my T60RPs want more its still a respectable amount.

@Naturallymorbid I use the topping e30 and Asgard 3 and I like that, but have recently added just a touch of low end with the Schiit Loki mini. (a little at 20 and 400 Hz)
Just listened to a list of female vocal ballads last night
heavenly! The Sundara is a bit
more forward in those mids and really brings those lyrics out cleanly. They do like a little more capable power and I noticed a big improvement with Asgard over the previous Atom amp which has power, but was a little sharp and edgy in comparison. I run the Asgard at 10 to 11 o’clock on high gain with Sundaras. Sweet! (note
about 2 o’clock with my DT 880/600.)

totally agree about mids along with the Sundara’s wide sound stage really gives it a unique “taste”.

Ya that looks pretty similar to me. For me the Sundaras are at 12 o’clock on high gain (compared to the T60RP which are 1-2 o’clock on high gain).

1 Like

Honestly Hifiman should at lest label the version of sundara by year.

Just got back from the audio store and was able to A/B the 2019 copy and the new one from this year that the boss just got a demo unit a week back and just finished the 100hr burn in.

The difference is like night and day. The new sundara is more HE400i like in tuning with a more natural warm V shape tonality and much better upper treble control in the upper treble. The 2019 sundara in comprison is much lighter in terms of vocal weight and the bass slaps like wet paper.

Overall a much needed improvement but hifiman should at lest label the sundara by year if they dont want to give a revision number.

Yeah I agree. There is a workaround, though - any Sundara owner can email hifiman with their serial number and ask if it is the 2020 silent revision model.

i was only aware of 2 revisions, the “old” one and the 2020, wasnt aware there was a 3rd revision in 2021

1 Like

Ah sorry I meant the 2020 pad revision! Edited

1 Like

Gave me a scare for a second :smiley:

2 Likes

Interesting good to know.

1 Like

they are 300$ on amazon right now https://smile.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Audiophiles-Comfortable-Fit-Register-Manufacturers/dp/B088T14XB8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1HXV8IW9E1O6F&keywords=sundara&qid=1650265667&sprefix=sundara%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A1GH37DDIGH3L6&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzSjFRTkRUT0VYNUZIJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTEzMzc0UlU5RFpDM1NQNkJMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMTUwNjczOUtHSUZHSlBPSjJFJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Hi, my new Sundara (2020) has a slight loose connector on the right side. I can wiggle/slide the connector in and out for about 1 mm if the plug/jack is in place. It clicks good and firm into the connector, but the connector on the right side has somehow a bit more sliding room/play in and outward. Is this going to be a problem or getting worse in future use?

ps, i called the dealer and they said it’s “normal” and won’t be a problem, because it’s the whole pcb-board from the jack that’s moving, so, it’s not a loose contact or bad soldering
I think it’s still bad quality controll

1 Like