đŸ”¶ HiFiMan Susvara

Just an unbox

Man
change the damn crap cables
Box could be Pelican type in this range.

In hand it is like a well worn classic.
Recs for an affordable Reciever to tap sought

I picked up the Hifiman speaker adapter when i bought my 6SE a few years back. Works well enough for $100, but apparently they used to include it

https://www.hifiman.com/products/detail/84

1 Like

Wait. Pendant powers susvara? Cause that is cool as hell if so. I didn’t expect it to handle them well at all given the crazy current demands

Yeah. With gusto. Just looking at the power specs, I didn’t expect Pendant to be such a workhorse, but I don’t need to push Susvara past 12 o’clock on the dial. It’s a fantastic pairing, too. I still like solid state for orchestra music (classical, scores, etc.) because the timbre is so spot on, but for most other genres I really enjoy the tubey goodness.

2 Likes

I’m circling a pair of these like a hifi-hungry shark. A shark with ears.

Anyway.

@SpeleoFool has had success driving these with a Pendant which is really encouraging as I also have one, but I’d also like SS options. I have the GS-X Mini, and I have a Jotunheim 2 on the way when Schiit get production back underway, but you do often hear how a speaker amp is the best way to go with these (after all, the Jot 2 is about as powerful as the Mini). Just how essential is it to use a speaker amp? If it really does take them to the next level, could anyone point me towards some options I should be considering?

Thanks as always.

So, here’s the deal–I picked up an A90 around the same time as I got my Susvara based on reports from several people that it does justice to Susvara. I can confirm, it’s good–bass quantity and control is excellent on A90 (anemic, poorly controlled bass seems to be a common symptom of underpowered planars).

So, you don’t need a speaker amp for Susvara. But if you’re going to go for Susvara, are you really looking for “adequate” amplification? More likely, by the time you go to the trouble and expense of no-compromise headphones, you’re going to want a no-compromise playback chain.

Mine is Holo May → Goldpoint stepped attenuator → McIntosh 8207 (zone B) → Susvara

The difference between that chain and A90 is both unmistakable and extremely minor. On the big chain the bass is ever so slightly tighter, and separation seems improved. Essentially, it’s the best version of Susvara–but Susvara on A90 still pretty much trounces everything else, anyway.

There seems to be quite a following for Benchmark AHB2, and I have seen several people championing the Bakoon 13R. I haven’t heard either.

The main requirement seems to be an amplifier capable of delivering as much current as possible, and with enough headroom that you’re not pushing the amp to its operating limits to drive Susvara, which are tremendously insensitive.

2 Likes

Thanks for such a comprehensive response, much appreciated.

2 Likes

If I may, which tubes are you using with your Pendant?

No Problem. :slight_smile:

I ordered the optional NOS tube upgrade when I ordered my Pendant. The actual tubes vary based on what’s available, but they’re basically “picked by Zach” to pair well. At the time I ordered (spring, 2020) that NOS set was some green-label Baldwins (12AU7, 6BQ5, and EZ81 in the back).

I’ve been catching grief recently for not tube rolling more, lol, but this set has sounded perfect to me, and I haven’t been inclined to mess with “ain’t broke.” :slight_smile:

Seems kinda sus

If the ZMF pendant has a 12AU7 swap it all together for a E80CC and never look back. Electrically the same as the 12AU7. E80CC Tungsram’s can be picked up for around 25USD and its an incredible upgrade even over the NOS tubes provided.

2 Likes
6 Likes

Part of me wants to listen to one - the rest of me suspects that I would not be able to walk away from it if I did

5 Likes

I have had the Susvara for a while and kept going back and forth with what I thought about it. I thought it was very good but found it hard for me to really get into as it was too laid back, polite, easy-going, and unengaging (sagra → formula s).
I recently got the dave/mscaler → wa33 and prion4 cable and it had a huge impact on the ability and my enjoyment of the susvara. Unbelievably 3d, holographic, organic, etc, etc. It also made the susvara come across as more forward largely due to the dave and mscaler (more depth, layering, more nuance, ergo more engaging).
This was also my first time comparing cables to see if they make a difference and sigh they do. The prion4 is much cleaner and better separated than my silver dragon although the silver dragon is warmer and more laid back which I do like. With the prion4 and new chain, I think the susvara has somehow gone from too laid back to too forward if anything, also it is a bit thin/sterile compared to what I would want ideally. Unfortunately the effects of the cable were enough that I’m not sure I can fairly compare other flagships to the susvara on an even playing field without also getting upgrade cables for the other flagships.
Keep in mind this radical change in opinion on the susvara is solely due to source gear and cable changes (and I was using a pretty respectable chain already) and I am not someone who had previously lauded source gear upgrades all that much.

Overall, the susvara is easily the best thing I have heard (sorry 1266tc, lcd5) other than maybe the mysphere; I am waiting for the mysphere 3.1 to come in from loan to make that comparison

My current thoughts is that most people fall into one of two groups, either the susvara is magical or they haven’t found the right setup for it yet.

12 Likes

Cable :+1:

Things I wish I never learned myself

2 Likes

Any of you fancy Susvara owners know what a Susvara costs before markup costs? I feel like I’ve heard it’s around $4500 new but how do you go about actually getting that price? Need a business license or do you have to be a retailer?

Ask a dealer to give you a good price basically, if you develop a good enough relationship you can get it for less sometimes as well

4 Likes

Anything sold through high street retailers will have at least a 40% markup, direct to customer sales the manufacturer won’t undercut that (because then they would have no dealers), dealers are usually not allowed to advertise discounted prices.
But dealers will give you some of their margin to move merchandise.
How much depends on availability, Their own stock level, inconvenience to them and how well you know them.

3 Likes

I personally just use an over eager broker. Just know if you get a call at midnight to pay a stranger you never talked too for multiple thousands on PayPal, you just do it.

5 Likes
2 Likes