šŸ”¶ HiFiMan Susvara

Currently listening to my new to me Susvaras through a pair of Parasound JC1+ Monoblocks with the Schiit Yggy+ as the DAC and Iā€™m really kinda blown away. The monoblocks setup has taken them to the next level past the Parasound Halo JC5 I was using last night. I also think they pair better with the Yggy (which is the OG version) than they did with the Holo Audio May KTE, Chord Dave, or Mola Mola Tambacqui (sp?). The Yggy introduces a noticeable increase in dynamics and gives the Susvaras some of the most natural decay and live instrument presentation I have ever heard. Overall, I think I still prefer my DCA Expanse off my Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and May KTE rig by a decent margin, but this is the best I have ever heard the Susvaras sound out of the many sessions zi have had with them. Iā€™m contracting Wells Audio to see what they rec from their lineup for the Susvaras, but assuming that falls through, I think Iā€™ve found something Iā€™m quite impressed with with this signal chain.

I have to say, the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos actually did an excellent job as well when I used it as the amp with some of the higher voltage settings, but the JC1+ monoblocks rig just takes it a step further.

5 Likes

:+1: the JC1+ are beasts

Could see that as well, donā€™t think the holo presentation meshes well with the sus + parasound combo myself either

Personally I think with the susvara you just need something that gives a lot of directness and energy, along with really strong macro and micro dynamics and a more expansive but organic presentation. I think without that, they end up being a bit overly smooth and a bit duller, they really come alive with something more incisive and energetic yet organic pairing wise

1 Like

So far, given my experimentations, I couldnā€™t agree more. They really seem to pick up on increased energy and dynamics from the signal chain. Moreso than any other headphones I have owned that I can think of at the moment. They also do well with a surprisingly wide array of music. After having demoed then a few times I always thought of them as being suitable for gentler less aggressive genres, but the Susvaras have some nice kick when asked for it and given proper supporting gear. I tried them on the Mola Mola Tambaqui the owner I purchased them from was running them with and they sounded thick, slow, and lifeless. Like they were a totally different pair of phones than when theyā€™re on my JC1Ā±Yggy combo.

As long as I have you here, do you have any other DACs in mind I should see about giving them a shot with? Iā€™m really happy with the JC1+s performance so Iā€™m definitely gonna stick with those for now, but Iā€™m open to trying other DACs if you have any recs.

Really great all rounders, at this point if I just want something to sound good and be a jack of all master of most, the susvara is what Iā€™ll grab for lol

Oh so like straight out of the tambaquiā€™s headphone jack? Or tambaqui ā†’ jc1? The tambaqui is a nice dac (not my personal fave) but the headphone out sucks, something Iā€™d only ever suggest using as a dac on itā€™s own. Iā€™d consider that multiple steps ahead of the yggy in technical ability dac for dac going into a jc1, but different sound for sure

If you like the yggy, I think you might like a wavedream (or wavelight, but go wd if you can), they sort of go for similar things in different ways, both pretty dynamically alive with solid impact, both a bit more forward leaning, both bass emphasis, both being a bit more exaggerated in space. I know a lot of people who felt like the og yggy a2 ā†’ wavedream was an upgrade along a similar path (they donā€™t sound the same to be clear though, I think they just scratch similar itches in different ways)

For other options, thereā€™s a lot of ways you could go, if you wanted to lean more toward the neutral and refined side of things but still have that energy and liveliness I might actually consider a bricasti m1/m3 or potentially berkeley alpha s2, for something a bit more rich without getting bloated or smooth a lampizator baltic 3 is a nice combo with the parasound. Thereā€™s some other pairings I can think of that Iā€™ve had good success with the susvara but likely wouldnā€™t mesh as well with the jc1. All really would depend on the price range youā€™d be looking in, what youā€™d want to focus on, and what your digital source would be

Side note, I also really think grabbing something like a dhc prion4 is a really nice boost to the headphone in terms of what it can do on the energy and liveliness front, and you can also get a matching speaker tap adapter as well lol. I donā€™t think Iā€™d want to use the headphone as much without it lol (at least on my current chains)

Actually Tambaqui to my Parasound Halo JC5 since I didnā€™t have room to lug the monoblocks to the guys house with the Tambaqui. It was definitely a good DAC but it somehow made everything sound like it was unnaturally toned down or something.

Okay, so I just ordered the Rockna Wavedream from Verdant Audio since they gave me a discount (I have ordered from them before) and I get a 30 day return window so Iā€™ll let you know how it goes. I paid for express shipping so I should have it on Tuesday, but Wednesday at the latest. I have been wanting to try the Wavedream or Wavelight for a long time and the big bonus I just got made this the perfect time so I bit.

As for the Lampizator BLtic 3, I have heard it in a friendā€™s setup with a WooAudio WA33 as the amp and wasnā€™t impressed, but he has wanted to try my Yggy in his chain for a while so maybe Iā€™ll trade him so I can try it with my Parasound setup and see how it goes. I have owned the Bricasti m1 and thought it was a terrible match with the May KTE, but I can borrow it back from the guy I sold it to if you think it will be significantly better with the Yggy. I havenā€™t tried any Berkeley stuff so I will have to look into that.

Ah gotcha, and yeah Iā€™d agree, itā€™s got this weirdly smooth and contrast-y sound to it that Iā€™m not personally the biggest fan of, feels artificial. Sure itā€™s technically capable but not my jam, really same way I felt about the Dave to some extent

Nice, will be curious what you think about it, remember to give it a few days to warm up initially

I think Iā€™d fare better in your setup rather than the woo, admittedly the wa33 is kinda a boring amp despite how capable it is lol. Would also depend on the tubes of course (for both)

So Iā€™m a bit confused here lol, what exactly do you mean by match with the may since theyā€™re both dacs. Also one of the newer m1 with the MDX upgrades or one of the original m1s? Or like a mid year m1se?

Sorry I meant with the Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and the GS-X Mini for that matter. I had so many DACs going through my head that I mistyped lol :joy:

I did think the Bricasti matched better with my Burson Conductor amp, but thatā€™s long gone.

What do you think about the Wells Audio lineup of amps as a possibility @M0N? Also do you rec stock pads for the Susvaras or is there something better out there I should try?

Oh and P.S. Hifiman speaker to headphones converter box degrades the audio quality to an astounding degree.

Ah yeah, would agree thatā€™s not really a great pairing with the oor or mini

Iā€™d stick with stock pads. So for the wells stuff, Iā€™m personally not the biggest fan since I thought every time Iā€™ve heard their amps it sounded too much like a brute force approach lacking nuance, was a bit overly warm and smooth for me with the susvara. I do think that the headtrip sounds good, but not whatever they charge for it good.

Yes direct taps all the way lol. Iā€™ve got direct taps for all the amps that can handle it, and if I want to run them off a tube amp that wouldnā€™t play nicely with the load I just put high quality resistors across the binding posts (but I donā€™t have to do that with any of my current amps)

1 Like

Yeah, I have always used a taps to headphones jack converter I made myself and it has always worked fine, but I ended up getting the Hifiman box for free with the Susvaras and it is laughably bad.

I figured stock pads were the way to go, but wanted to make sure I wasnā€™t missing some secret special sauce or something.

Thanks for all your help @M0N ! :pray::metal::sunglasses:

1 Like