šŸ”· Holo Audio May

Zeos is very ā€œscientificā€ and also fairly stingy so if there is cheaper for a moderate amount he will take that

Also might be payed by geshelli and maybe just doesnā€™t know any differences in DACs compared to hearing a headphone and wondering ā€œdoes it sound like Iā€™m listening on speakersā€

Highly likely not the case knowing Geshelli. Suggesting that is kinda rude my guy. Though not wrong that he is likely getting paid by someone.

1 Like

He is getting paid by someone. His patrons. Every month. Itā€™s almost like heā€™s doing this for a living or somethingā€¦ I know, crazy right.

Sadly, doing something for a living and being honest/having integrity do not correlate with one another.

1 Like

A lot of reviewers have problems with conflict of interest. Not a unique problem sadly.

Undisclosed ā€œsponsorshipsā€ in online videos can land one in hot water in most western countries. Here is a longer video on the subject.

The biggest red flag is when reviewers (or review sites) run ads for the very product segment they review.

It took longer than 40 minutes for sure. But itā€™s here!

After this video kinda lost interest in Zeos DAC reviews. One that cannot make the difference between a R2R juggernaut and a Chinese chip-based DAC should not review dacs

6 Likes

Lol. @Souldriver it takes at least 40 minutes to make sure all the pics and working links get imported into the forumā€™s post editor when a review that long goes up.

Thanks for the plug, Dago.

4 Likes

If anyone wants some engineering orgasm, feel free to take a look. This is very impressive, I can definitively respect Holo Audio for this design. Making a full PLL for your own internal clock is NUTS.

If it wasnā€™t like 4 or 5 months of my wage I would 100% consider, just to look and study this thing.

2 Likes

The Spring 3 is supposed to get pretty close to the May and is a bit more attainable. Used would be better but thereā€™s hardly any used for Holo stuff, at least rn.

Yup, Patreon, Subscribestar, affiliate links to at least Amazon and Apos along with YouTube monetization of 3 or 4 channels?

I wonder how close it will actually be, since Iā€™d assume the spring 3 isnā€™t going to have the much beefier psu like the may, which likely plays a big role in the mayā€™s sq (outside of the other changes in the design that will likely be carried over to the new spring like the better fpga code and improved digital side of things like usb and other changes the may had vs the spring 2)

Tim from Kitsune told me itā€™s about 95% to the Mayā€¦In addition, thereā€™s an optional pre-amp for an additional $500 which he claims is ~80% to the Serene. I saw that the May had volume buttons on its remote but havenā€™t confirmed with anyone whether it actually has a built-in pre, nor do I see an option on the website. You probably know, @M0N?

Now, Iā€™m well aware he has to sell the thing of course, but who knows - he may be genuine in his answer.

Spring 3 should be released this month if anyone is interestedā€¦

1 Like

I mean, well it would be interesting if that was the case, but realistically as a business it would make no sense to make it that good, unless it was priced closer to the May. But who knows

Now that is cool, a built in pre would be a pretty sick thing to have in a 2ch setup

Didnā€™t have a volume control on mine, so likely just reusing the same remote

Thanks for the info :+1:

1 Like

Wel if true there goes my upcoming audio purchase plans. I donā€™t need a new Dac nor a pre but that combo would be sick.

1 Like

What were your plans before the Spring? The May?

Just to add to your temptation Iā€™ll copy/paste what Tim told meā€¦

ā€œItā€™s similar to May, maybe 95% roughly
It has the exact same dac module used in May albeit May has two and is in dual mono, so the sound staging is improved a little on May. But tonally they are pretty close.
The spring3 is superb value especially with the preamp module! Only 500usd for full discrete preamp module it wonā€™t be as good as our serene preamp which was designed for May dac and to be the most transparent preamp possible. Itā€™s truly something special and will give you the most from the May dac without a doubt. Most preamps on the market will be either colored or lacking in transparency to some degree if used with the May dac.ā€

I currently have the spring 1 KTE that Iā€™m happy with. Was going to get a nice streamer (auralic aries) + Flux Volot (hp amp) + focal solo6 monitors for my desktop rig.

If I had any funds leftover a Manley Chinook tube phono was the 4th purchase this year.

Based upon what you said about the spring 3 I might want to sell my KTE, pass on the Volot and just get the spring 3 and a cheaper hp amp (say soloist 3XP) and a cheap streamer say BlueSound node.

Anyway Iā€™ve been saving for some time and am just waiting for a few releases and reviews.

2 Likes

I guess I shouldnā€™t mention that theyā€™re also coming out with a headphone amp called ā€œBlissā€ later this yearā€¦:grin:

1 Like

2 to 3 times my wage is not that better. Worse if you consider I need to ship this here and pay a 60% in taxes. So yeah, I think I wonā€™t see any Holo audio so soon. Still, thanks for the info.

I mean, if youā€™re happy with it, why bother changing it? Maybe go first to other items, then consider trying the new DAC. I donā€™t know, I prefer to enjoy what I have unless itā€™s to try something really new or different enough. That said, I am still in budget territory so maybe itā€™s just a reflection of where I am in my journey.

I guess you shouldnā€™t. After all, ignorance is Bliss. :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

man holo audio is my favorite audio company. beauty and brains in a sexy package. for everything. high price though. im wondering what the best bang for the buck is as far as their products. do they have a speaker amp? would the DAC change the sound the most? or would their headphone amp change the sound the most from a 200$ schiit DAC. and a iemagni amp and ncore speaker amp.

the ncore amp gives a bit too much class D sound for me, the IEmagni sounds great but is cheap OP amps based design . and the schiit modius is a neutral DAC but its either a bifrost 2 DAC upgrade or a speaker or headphone amp upgrade. im looking to add warmth and space to my gear but not warm like tubes . anyone have suggestions for holo audio components that would change the sound the most in any way from the gear i already have? i know they are ā€œtransparentā€ but it still changes sound or upgrades sound from cheaper stuff so i dont mean ā€œwarmā€ sound but i do like warm. let me know thanks. Or should i just get some denafrips ares II and their speaker amp and call it a day .