How are you holding up?

As your economy opens up and recovers you may be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to find a job. As the economy re openned here my companyhired on like 4 new technicians, and the job market overall expanded in my line of work at least, pretty much a cross the board all over my province

Yeah I guess so, though my dad is telling me I should relax for a bit and I donā€™t need to rush immediately to find a job xD and yeah he has that rational thinking. Thanks to my dad, I have been listening to a lot of Pantera lately and I cannot believe that I didnā€™t listened to them more a lot as a kid.

But better late than never after all.

1 Like

Funny how the older I got the smarter my parents seemed. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Itā€™s really a matter of what you define is smart. There are things that my parents are just straight up ignorant about and I have to help them with whether it be investing and growing money or their political views, but contextually it makes sense. But I have learnedany invaluable things from them growing up.

Yeah dude donā€™t rush things. If you want to look good on your resume you can learn online how to really get your resume down, Iā€™ve seen some atrocious resumes from fresh graduates with no guidance, or even do some extra courses that take a couple of days to a few months to get you certified I know there are none running right now but even just doing CPR training goes a long way to putting you ahead of another candidate

1 Like

Touching base with everyone with a little thread revival here. Some of you guys are seeing your second waves, some of us are still technically on our first with the colder indoor season closing in slowly but surely here in the northers hemisphere.

One of the labors of love I took on during these months has been to convert my library to FLAC or better where possible and where it makes sense. I upgraded a lot of my old classic CDs that had high resolution masters available of them. Dark Side of the Moon, Parallel Lines, Face Value. I also bought every album from Little Dragon and Khruangbin and picked up digital copies or bought new CDs of artists that Iā€™d listened to a lot but hadnā€™t actually ā€œboughtā€ their music over the years since the Napster days had me winding up with a lot of tracks or albums that I hadnā€™t actually paid the artists for.

Going forward my new criteria is buy high resolution albums as I add to my collection or if no Hi-Rez downloads exist, order the CD. I was surprised at how many albums that I didnā€™t buy had play counts in the hundreds for a bunch of tracks. So I made it a point for those to buy a new CD or digital copy so the artists would see some of it or most of it now with direct downloads. Iā€™ve owned so much stuff over the years, that I no longer have. So many of my CDs were either missing or had no disks in them and for those I didnā€™t ā€œbuyā€ replacements unless they were things that I really wanted to have back. Like Heaven 17 stuff.

Today though I have a modest collection, just shy of 6k songs after a lot of editing and cleaning house. Out of those, only 48 are less than FLAC because you simply canā€™t get them any more for whatever reason. God knows Iā€™ve tried on some but Iā€™ll have to live with the fact that theyā€™re just not available even pirated as FLAC.

I wonā€™t bother to total, but Iā€™ve bought at least 150 CDs new or used, and perhaps another 30 or so in high resolution format. So Iā€™ve got about $1,000 to make my collection complete again and going forward it should be a breeze to keep it safe and sound. M.2 backups rock!

How are you guys holding up?

1 Like

Here I am finally, all of that hard work during my years in my university with all of the failed subjects that I used to have now finally all passed. I got delayed for a couple of years but with the push and inspiration from my parents and friends, I finally did it for I have graduated officially. There will be no ceremony though but at least I will able to get my graduation picture and diploma, and itā€™s safe to say that my parents once it has been confirmed that I am officially a graduate, they were happy and all proud of me and I did it even though it was hard and full of tough challenges.

Right now I am just waiting, for the following things from my graduation are to be delivered instead and itā€™s kind of a bummer when there will be no graduation ceremony will happen for me due to the wrong timing of this pandemic occurring to all of us, but at least I did it. Times are going to be much harder once I will get into the world of business and things from there can be rough but hey we all had been in rough situations.

I am not seeking for a life, lifestyle, house, materials and even vanities that exudes luxury, for all I want is this and it might sound funny or ridiculous to everyone, I just want to be happy. I just want to live in a house where I can sleep well, live well, simple and just give me good audio and PC things I can live for a concept of having a mansion or having the so called ā€œluxuryā€ are things that I just donā€™t see myself getting nor I will be able to comprehend as such things.

So yeah right now, I will just have to do my best, thank the people who have helped and loved me and most of all, trying to find that happiness I want. To the people who are in the same shoes as me, I hope you will get it for you deserve it with all of that hard work you did.

6 Likes

Over it, when is the new flu shot droppin? I miss having my human rights violated at the airport.

Question, how much do you have to spend on gear to hear the difference between CD and hi-res ?

To be honest, I cannot remember since it has been long time that I have used a CD player to play my music, and that was the time I was not into high-fidelity audio back then. When it comes to spending money? I donā€™t know and that is the scary part of this hobby. Though I think you can get to your so called endgame by just getting the right item for the price and I think that is enough that you have reached at that point.

I mean there are some considering the Koss KPH30i as an endgame item and that one is affordable, so yeah, itā€™s hard to know the exact price.

Iā€™m not sure. When I first started in the hobby, entry level gear, topping D10 DAC, O2 amp and HD58X I could tell the difference between a 320k mp3 and a FLAC quality about 70/30. I could easily tell the difference between them an a 128k mp3.

With a PC sound card and SHP9500, no difference between 320k and FLAC. Now I can easily tell the difference between the two and I can certainly hear a diffence in high rez and FLAC butā€¦ ONLY with well recorded source. Thereā€™s absolutely no way to make shit recordings sound good. On the contrary, the more resolving the gear the worse poorly recorded songs sound to me now. How much varies but to get the most out of high res you need a GOOD dac as part of the chain.

I donā€™t actually play the CDs. Donā€™t even have a CD player, I just rip them.

rip too, i mean ones & zeros will always be ones and zeros, right ?

Yes and no, sometimes you can get better sound out of a cd transport into a dac over the files being played back on your PC into a dac, really depends on your setup at hand

Itā€™s why there are $20k CD players. Thank you @M0N for reminding us that thereā€™s always moā€™ better, for moā€™ money. :wink:

Us 7digital if youā€™re in the us or Canada for better overall prices on hi res flac compared to other online stores

1 Like

I mean it really mainly comes down to a quality cd transport just creating a more accurately clocked and lower jitter spdif output, also cleaner than most pcs as well. Similar effect you have experienced with your ddc. I know for my living room my streamer outperforms my cd transport but I donā€™t have the same tier cd transport as streamer, so basically you can get similar results from a streamer or ddc (with a properly set up pc) as you can from a cd transport

1 Like

Manā€¦ just think how much easier our lives would be if it was simply about transferring ones and zeroes, huh?

One DAC to rule them all :crossed_swords:

It is just about transporting 1ā€™s and 0ā€™s, problem is, you have to get the timing right.

Source is someone debugging an I2C signal, just like I am right nowā€¦

2 Likes

Dammit, this is just as miserable as buying a turntable. Lol want my cake!

ALL about the timing! Thatā€™s become painfully clear to me what I was missing out on. I hear it said recently, forgot by whomā€¦

ā€œinacurate timing causes jitter, what does jitter do? It smears the sound you hear making it less clearā€

I thought wow, what a great way to simplify why timing is so important.