How do I hook up my Chord Mojo to my hifi setup?

Greetings HIFI knowledge gods

I have just recieved my Klipsch rp-600m (finally for fucks sake.)

I have my speakers hooked up to the Onkyo TX-8270

I have a Chord Mojo which I’ve mainly used for my headphones but I havent gotten as much use for it as I’d wish.

So I’m wondering can I add it as a permanent DAC in my Hifi setup? I’ve managed to read somewhere online that it shouldnt be a problem to keep it connected to power. My question is: How do I connect it to my reciever?

Thankful for any insights!

3.5mm jack from Mojo into Audio In (1,2,3, any should work) on the receiver. One cable with 1 male jack and 2 male RCAs.

Thanks my guy. Is there a reason you would prefer to use RCA’s over the optical?
That should technically work too right?

Optical is a digital output, jack to 2xRCA would be analog.
If you want to use the Mojo as a DAC (digital to analog converter) you would have to use one of its jack outputs, and feed the Mojo with a digital signal(USB, optical) from your PC or whatever.

Otherwise, not much point in using the Mojo if you want to move digital signal from your source to the receiver, just connect it directly. I don’t think the mojo can do that anyway.

Yes I do want to use it as a DAC. Bare with me here. So if I want to use it as a DAC I need to hook it up to one of the two 3.5 mm headphone jacks with a cable that splits in to two RCA’s and connect them to Audio in on the reciever/amp if I understood you correctly

Thanks for your help

Yep. Just use one of these:

Make sure the colors on the RCA plugs match the receiver inputs, and then you’ll probably have to select the appropriate input on the receiver (some smart ones can auto detect live inputs and use them).

Thank you kind sir. I’ll jet off and pick up one of those cables after I get off work!

1 Like

Just make sure to put the mojo in line out mode when you hook it up to an amp (with volume control)

From the manual:

“To set the output level to 3V ( line level ) for connection to a preamplifier press both volume buttons together when switching on the unit. Both volume balls will illuminate light blue. This mode is not remembered so when you switch off it will reset back to the previous volume stored for safety reasons.”

Yes, good point. So when I get this hooked up… and say I wanna play music from spotify connect from my phone. It will utilize the DAC of the Mojo I take it?

Yes, if the mojo is correctly connected to your phone through usb, it will use the Mojo’s dac to output to the receiver

Just keep in mind the Mojo isn’t ideal as a DAC source for a couple reasons. 1) Leaving it plugged in all the time isn’t good for the life of the battery. You could disconnect the battery, though Chord doesn’t recommend that (for some reason unknown to me).
2) The amp portion of it can’t be bypassed. So the sound coming out of it will be a bit colored.

It will color the sound abit, but not realistically be an issue, unless you want the most transparent dac possible

Marcgii: Isn’t the amp bypassed by putting it in line level output by holding in the two volume buttons?
As far as the life of the battery it isn’t a huge concern for me because the warranty is up and if I do notice it diminishing the battery capacity I will probably just take it upon myself to change it.

Lets say I decide to get myself a schiit modi… would I still have to hook up the source to the dac with a cable to use it just like I’d have to with the Mojo?

What the mojo does is that it adjusts it’s volume to a line level setting, but does not actually bypass the amp. This might be a concern for some, but TBH it’s not going to cause a big problem in your system. I would personally still prefer the mojo as a dac to the modi, but that’s just me.

If you did decide to get a modi or whatever other dac, you would still have to hook up the source through USB or optical/spdif. You could get a dac that you could stream to if you were concerned about that

M0N: Thank for your input. I think I’ll just roll with the Mojo like you say. It doesn’t concern me if it will color the music slightly. Ill hook it up tonight and listen to some sweet music :slight_smile:
Thanks buddy

Let us know how the system sounds lol :+1:

I just hope i misunderstood the setup. From the phone (spotify) → Mojo → Onkyo → Klipsch?

No you understood the setup. Why do you hope you misunderstood it? Is it that spotify is a crappy source?

By the way… just tried the setup and I’m getting a lot of distortion. I don’t know if its the crappy 3.5 mm to rca cable. It’s clearly something that isn’t right :frowning: I used the audio in phono connectors on the back

It’s because the voltage of the mojo is too high I believe. You want to make sure to connect it to an input label CD or something like that or PC. You connected it to an input expecting a lower voltage signal from a turntable

Well it’s pointless and silly using Mojo in setup like that…
Not meant to be used like that - thought it can be “connected and used”. Huge difference.
It’s like Source -> DAC/AMP -> DAC -> DAC/AMP -> Speakers. What can go wrong…

Amp should have Spotify connect already. Why not just hook amp to online and hit play from phone? Source -> DAC/Amp -> Speakers.

I had image that’s like "here is a baked cake. Warm and ready to be eaten But i want to add flour. Cause i want… rest of use are like “WHYYYYY!!!” :smiley:
And, no. Spotify Premium is ok. I like to use also time to time.