How old are you?

Well I’m a high school teacher and I’m pretty sure my patience grew infinitely because of it.

4 Likes

haha i bet. kids are tuff to deal with. And teenagers are impossible

I’m in my early 50’s, got into Hifi when I was in college.
Had a couple of multi year Hiatus’ over that time as things have changed in my life.

2 Likes
  1. Man that sounds old!
    Discovered music at 12 years old. Started buying gear in my mid teens. Home ownership spurred massive two channel system which then led to 5.1 home theatre system to shake the bedroom. Post home ownership led to selling the 5.1 system and the NAD amp for the living room. Still have the tower speakers, but they hardly work at all as I bought an AVR for all the electronic goodies.
    Started to get heavy into headphones five years ago. 2019 was overkill, but I promise I’ll be better in 2020…
3 Likes

Empathy and connection go a long way and fortunately people of all ages love music.
On the other hand, I’ve had to live through every gear-grinding trends (i.e. bottle flipping, fidget spinners, etc)

2 Likes

haha fidget spinners was quite the weird one when it got popular, bottle flipping? havent heard that one. guess some time has passed since high school/

1. Haven’t been in the audio equipment hobby for that long, around 3 years. But have been into music since I figured out what I liked in High School. I know enough about it that I’m a good person to have on your team come trivia night.
1 Like

Nothing wrong with keeping both either they compliment eachother well

1 Like

21, somehow heard about hifi and bought a he400i and fiio e10k when I was 15. Sold those and dipped out of the hobby for a couple years, and have been back in force this year.

That’s unusual, I think. I don’t think of Audiophilia as a teenager’s hobby. Music for sure, but not the equipment as much.

Damn am I the youngest one here? I’m 20.

I was 16 when i got the shp9500 and a smsl sd793

I mean when your entire family is into it for my case I can’t think of a time where it wasn’t an interest to me

1 Like

Just by a year tho haha. Not bad plus you got into a it at 16 which is impressive and surprising. Family member?

Turned 29 recently. I’ve always liked listening to music and the various ways to play it, equipment to enjoy it with, different formats, etc. But I had always had a very narrow view of what existed, and had never really put the time into researching more into this hobby. I was in the bubble of knowing what my family had used/enjoyed and also what gamers typically used. Previously the only companies I knew of that made decent headphones were sony, audio technica, and sennheiser. Also bought creative labs sound cards because I always thought that was the only choice for better quality audio from a computer, for a gamer, etc. But this was the year that I learned about dacs & amps, iems, all the other companies making cool headphones, and lots of other really interesting stuff. I wouldn’t have called myself an audiophile before this year. I knew a bit but hadn’t taken the deep dive into the hobby. But I mean, I went from just a gaming headset to a holy shit this is sex zmf headphone, got a dap and a couple iems, got a proper dac/amp for my desktop and have been enjoying the hell out of my music. Been quite a fun journey. :slight_smile:

1 Like

None of my family members are into audiophile stuff like i am. I think I discovered Zeos around that time. Had to persuade my parents to buy me those stuff and thankfully they got it for me as a Christmas gift.

Now I have a modi/Magni Heresy and just received the m1070. Im ballin now lol

1 Like

Haha oh damn. Spending that money! Interesting that you found zeos tho, were you interested in specific headphones or something? Like how did it start?

That’s pretty tight! Was it because of gaming then that you wanted to upgrade originally?

Youtube recommended is a magical system. I know before i was watching “best gaming headphones” videos and I guess YouTube was tryna do me a favor lol. I wasn’t interested in headphones till i heard Beats believe it or not. I think I was 12 when I listened to a friends.

I got interested in the hobby when I was grade 9 learning from my friend who had it good and had HD 598’s and the fiio e10 k I always wanted and in collegewhen I had a bit of disposable income I Blough the k240 and since then I did alot of research but this year Is when I really dived hard but been readingand watching vids about gear for years