I got the Moondrop Starfields, and they are AWESOME!

I owned the CCA16 and the Starlight sounds a lot more coherent, to me the timbre on the 16 sounded off. They were good at technicalities, but so is the Moondrop. The starlight is also marginally more comfortable on the ear, I could never wear the CCA16 for longer than an hour.

After doing research the cca c16, is a downgrade from the cca c12 when it comes to what Iā€™m looking for. The bqeyz spring 1 might be what I want to get for the $100 or more category.

has anyone listened them straight out of a cellphone or pc without amps? do they lose much quality?

I did it a lot of times and I must say it still sounds good even with my shitty phoneā€™s DAC. Though I would probably recommend still getting a DAC/AMP or something similar to the BTR5K in order to get that overall neutral goodness that everyone loves from the Starfields.

1 Like

Better quality with more power and better tips yes.

I use a Yinyoo 16-core cable that has a blue color and as for the tips, I use SpinFit CP145s and man despite those being Silicon, imo, they are comfortable and blocks outside noises just well for me that I am able to enjoy all of the sounds that I am listening with my Starfields in my ears.

Totaly agree with you. These Spinfits are realy good for Starfield, the sound is more lively.

1 Like

Definitely still sounds good out of my Oneplus 5. But they sound better with more power. Theyā€™re great on the Hiby R5 and amazing on the SP200. Even works well out of the Yamaha AG03 interface.

I got the SpinFit CP360 for mine and they fit like a glove. Super comfortable too, had way too many issues with the NewBee tips or Tin Hifi foams, not to mention the god awful default silicons.

Well worth the money, probably one of my best purchases in recent years in terms of audio. That and they look stunning!

1 Like

I tried the CP360s I was using with some TFZs on my Starfields and never found them as comfortable as I did on the TFZs. That wasnā€™t a great combo for me to begin with but they were definitely a step down in comfort on the Starfields. Different nozzle geometry maybe? I tried Dekonis next which were more comfortable but the foamies really made my L/R size difference distinctly noticeable regardless of which tip size combos I tried. Again, comfortable but just an annoyingly persistent feeling of ā€œDifferent!ā€

After a while I finally took the small risk of going back to SpinFit andā€¦.yep, another CP145 Starfield user here. I kept looking at the dimensions and cross section photos of the 360s and 145s on the SpinFit web site and thinking there was no way the seemingly small difference in the two models could be that significant. My ear holes have proved otherwise. Plenty happy with the comfort and sound of the 145s on my Starfields.

I thought the same. Using the small tips on the Starfields, but I have medium tips on the BL03. I tried swapping them between the units but it just doesnā€™t work. The Starfields go deeper in the ears and thus require a much smaller nozzle, compared to the size and shape of the BL03.

Agreed with that statement as one of the best purchases in audio for I can say the same as well. Not only these ones satisfies the overall sound signature preference that I like, it is also one of the most beautiful looking IEMs out there, in my opinion, now even more beautiful with the cable that I got for it. And yeah, I agree that it needs a bit of power for having this plugged into my shitty S7 Edgeā€™s DAC can sometimes reproduce songs that I am listening to a bit odd, thus I am glad I made a purchase of a portable amp back then that can drive headphones/IEMs up to 300Ohms and it sure helps my Starfields a lot in terms of sounds.

1 Like

Some iems do loves upgrades more than some others, Starfields are one of those.
Was using with my smartphone (very good but a bit ā€œdullā€), then with a dac (tempotec HD pro) and it was better.
And now with a OFHC 24 AWG 6N 2.5mm jack, Spinfit CP145 and a tempotec sonata idsd plusā€¦ they became beasts!

2 Likes

Great choice. Awesome tips.

I am very new into the world of IEMs. I was thinking about picking up there as my first pair of IEMs! Do anyone wear glasses here with IEMs? If so, are they doable and/or comfortable?

Thanks!

I can only speak for myself but Iā€™m a metal frame glasses wearer and have used four different over the ear cables with pre-formed hooks and pretty much never given my glasses even a cursory thought with any of them. That includes the OEM-supplied wire as well as an aftermarket one on the Starfields, BTW.

The weight of the IEMs themselves is actually borne by the tips in your ears and possibly some portion of the IEMā€™s body resting against the ridges within your ear. The weight isnā€™t borne by the ā€œhookā€ portion of the cable that goes over your ear. Thatā€™s there more or less just for managing the path the wire takes. Because of this, you can pretty much do whatever feels right for you with the over-the-ear portion of the wire which is kind of what makes glasses a non-issue.

To be honest, I donā€™t even know what I do. I think the cable ends up between the arm of my glass frames and the inside surface of the top of my ear. Like I said, I really donā€™t even really think about it when I put my IEMs in. YMMV of course.

1 Like

I wear glasses and IEMs donā€™t cause me any problems at all. I guess maybe I can try to take a photo of the back of my ear or something to be more specific about whatever it is I do, but yeah, it works for me! Something to note: I wear glasses pretty much all day, so you might have a different experience if you need to put on/take off your glasses a lot.

EDIT: Also, in case it matters, here are the specific glasses I wear: Warby Parker | Caldwell Eyeglasses in Carbon for Men ā€¦you might also have a different experience if you wear really thick frames or something.

EDIT 2: Oh, and the Starfields are great for just getting started with IEMs! A thought for just getting started: make sure you play around with the different eartip sizes to get a decent seal. The sound difference is very noticeable! (You might even want to try some alternate brands of eartips; I like both Final E tips and SpinFit tips.)

1 Like

Thank you, both!

I donā€™t suspect this will be an issue with me either - looking forward to checking out the Starfields!

To have a better experience, I suggest you to change its stock cable to a thicker one, since its stock one is thin and fragile, though mine didnā€™t broke yet. Also you might want to get the SpinFit CP145s in my opinion to have a better fit in your ears when getting the Starfields.

1 Like

Thank you!

You might consider getting the Moondrop Aria. Although some people say they are different, to some they have the same signature. The Aria has a metal shell, apparently a better cable (cloth one, looks nice), and it is around $30 cheaper. I tell because Iā€™ve been eyeing one, just waiting to sell my Legacy 4s first.

Also, regarding the glasses, also been using my IEMs for some time and never had any issues.

1 Like