I hope you are all doing fine

You just take it 1 day at a time and do the best you can to do the right things. All you can do.

1 Like

Itā€™s already over in China. :slight_smile:

Nice curves (giggity) :

1 Like

Our ā€œfunnymanā€ Auzzie brother mirrors my sentiments at the moment and also just happened to open my eyes to the possible ā€œsourceā€ of this virus, wtf, that thing looks like an alienšŸ¤Ø and why the hell are people eating those things? Every time i think iā€™ve heard or seen it all humanity manages to ā€œdisappointingly surpriseā€ me yet againā€¦anyway, take a few minutes to watch Ozzymanā€™s take on our current situation, it will be well outdated within a week. Stay healthy and safe, happy listening, for too many it will be their last days and thatā€™s so very sad and really NOT funny.

2 Likes

Wherever you are, be australian :smile:

Also I just found this. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Coronavirus Partyyy!

1 Like

the one thing we MIGHT be nervous about is that this is china giving this informationā€¦

so they COULD be lying

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so. Curves are flattening in Japan, Korea, Singapore too. I also saw an article yesterday about someone from here (Quebec, Canada) working in China, saying ā€œitā€™s over in Chinaā€, i.e.: Itā€™s more or less back to normal for (at least some) companies, theyā€™re no longer working from home etc.

If you really want to worry about a country, worry about Russia. No statistics. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

So Iā€™ve not posted on here in a while, so figured this thread would be as good a place as any to do so. My situation is that my company put us on WFH for the past two weeks and continues to enforce this globally at least until Mid-April. I work for an American company, and looking at the way the situation is over there, despite Trump stating that ā€œweā€™ll all be back in work by Easterā€ - I highly doubt it.

My wife fortunately is also WFH for the foreseeable so weā€™ve pretty much not left the house for the past two weeks except for 2 trips out for shopping etc.

If Iā€™m honest, Iā€™m somewhat concerned about if I will get it. The problem is that there is just ā€œtoo muchā€ information going around out there, and it is impossible to discern solely from that what could happen if I contract it. Now, my immune system - at least at dealing with everything else in my life - is fucking badass. I havenā€™t taken a day sick in something like 12+ years (that wasnt elective surgery I had, that doesnā€™t count). I very rarely catch a cold, and if I do I feel like shit for 1-2 days then Iā€™m through it. From that perspective that helps. However, I am not the fittest of people, am overweight and not by a little (but not so bad I canā€™t get out the house, before you ask) - I could easily lose 50lbs at this point, and thereā€™s a lot going around about overweight folks catching it.

On the other hand, there are going to be a number of folks that will be totally asymptomatic - so this fucker can either do nothing and you spread it around (which, lets not joke around, is still serious) ranging to mild cold to fever to full on pneumonia or fucking death. This shit is not messing around.

Iā€™m concerned for my father. Mid 70ā€™s, diabetic, overweight, has a pacemaker - pretty sure heā€™d be in the top risk group. However, he does live alone, so heā€™s bossed self isolation for many years. Iā€™ve not seen him for 3 weeks at this point which sucks, but even in his own words ā€œincarceration is preferable to deathā€.

I can take food and supplies to him so that isnā€™t a big deal. Unless I get sick.

Ah, 2020 is fucking amazing. (But, for now at least, I am fine)

6 Likes

Yeah, I wouldnā€™t worry about it. Obviously itā€™s not like the flu, itā€™s not the flu, (I mean, if people want to call it the Chinese flu ā€“ no racism intended ā€“ call it Chinese pneumonia instead), but the people who should worry about itā€¦ are the people who already worry about the common flu and/or common cold, more or less (like your father, yes).

2 Likes

That is where my many thought processes lead to. I hope that is correct.

I think I had a flu once, about 20 years agoā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to disagree but here in Spain are dying people in their late thirties, forties and fifties as well. Police, doctors and others with in some cases no previous medical conditions. Please donā€™t take anything for granted and be careful.

1 Like

Not belittling the situation but we do need to keep things in perspectiveā€¦

1 Like

TBH this is a good wake-up call! We have become soft, we have become weak, we have become complacent, we are frankly entitled.

The upside is on this global pandemic the death rate is 1% - 1.3% and not 25%+ like Hanta and 15%+ like SARS. This gives us an opportunity to learn & adapt. Simply put we will lose many people but in the process gain an understanding that this isnā€™t just the stuff of movies. If the medical community says the risk is X and do Y then XY needs to happen.

2 Likes

Yeah right. Letā€™s be honest, this is probably going to make that segment of society even worse. Oh.

That segment is most likely to be wiped out besides the elderly and immunocompromised.

1 Like

Wow, thanks. Excellent, excellent article.

1 Like

The issue isnā€™t really the mortality rate, itā€™s the capability of health services to handle thousands of sick people. Yes, many many more people die of the flu but the health services already know that and build their infrastructure around it. Covid19 came out of nowhere and at time when seasonal flus were already taking up their normal capacity.

2 Likes

Agreed but has no one ever done a virus scenario?..the inability of the world powers to cope with this is unbelievable?? No?

Itā€™s not inability, itā€™s unwillingness. Thereā€™s plenty of money for decent healthcare capacity and disease research, but they donā€™t have enough lobbyists. As Hal Holbrook once said: follow the money.

1 Like

They did, but taken measures costs moneyā€¦ And here we areā€¦