IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

that’s odd, i’ll still be using linsoul anyway i won a $20 off coupon :P, that graph looks awful but interesting enough to try for just $40

@Tristan_Krafft

Did you read this “review”?

https://min.news/en/digital/d2b29e677d20f6fe300907e59840b590.html

I’m thinking to try DMAGIC Solo, I don’t need it but I’m curious how can sound, same for Simphonio RX10 that @hawaiibadboy got some months ago.

2 Likes

Hey yeah just read it now and found a YouTube reviewer who unboxed it recently

I think he might put out a review soon, just accessories and design wise I’m liking it. Interesting how slow the info process is for this earphone, I’m guessing they don’t send review units out or something.

1 Like

QDC DMagic Solo takes on Hana 2021 / Moondrop KATO - YouTube :ok_man:t6::man_shrugging:t6::palms_up_together:t6:

2 Likes

Dumb question: Is there a gear for sale section on here that I am missing? I am planning on selling my Unique Melody 3DT, but it doesn’t look like there is a category? And I don’t see a lot of sale posts.

2 Likes

Well, obviously, I am blind. Thanks!

1 Like

For some reason the search on the site hates trying to find this thread, and no dedicated section for it or anything so it isn’t the most obvious where it is

3 Likes

Maybe it’s time the DQ6 had its own thread.

I think I’ve found my “fun” set!

Click for modding photos

With some cotton (FDX1 style) to take off some of the lower treble peaks, this plays Skott - Glitter and Gloss and Led Zeppelin - In The Evening in a really entertaining way, at high volume.

While being my “fun” set though… it also showcases what good timbre really is, and I end up more engaged with the following album than with any other set I have:

I like that album, but it’s much more moving through these. The cellos for sure, but not just the bassy instruments, the harpsichord too.

So it’s a rather eloquent and erodite life of the party. Twenny bucks.

Blur - Tender just came on. And it’s sounding really great.

EDIT: These fulfill all the dreams I once had of what the H40 would sound like. When I did listen to the H40, I really wasn’t blown away. At all. But these are actually producing the space/bass/timbre I had really hoped for in my mind’s ear from descriptions of it.

EDIT2: Tip-rolling paid dividends. These moved from “fun” to “supremely balanced yet engaging”. With FAudio “instrument” white tips on, the bass is as present but cleaned up and much tighter, mids really sing… I’m staying up because I can’t resist listening to whatever the next track may be.

EDIT3: Although the majority is enjoyment and pleasant surprises, there are moments where the price shows up in treble tuning or technicalities. But if you had to get by on a $20 set, maybe to get some medical or car bills paid, this delivers almost all of what a FiiO FH5 does but with better timbre and for hundreds less. Progress is fast with IEMs, noticeably faster than other hobbies I’ve been involved with.

7 Likes

That’s basically like my tuning foams mod.

1 Like

I expect so! I didn’t want to wait for foam to come from China, I had cotton pads from my vaping days. I like the idea of having a “clear” central core, but I’d be surprised if it actually makes much of a sonic difference.

I have an old pair of those, and the newer ones are the “Pro” they cost 2x as much and have Aptx support.
The biggest differences are the codecs supported ( AAC ), the noise floor, and the associated sound quality. Oddly my KZ ZEX sound quite good on the KZ AZ09 as long as I am at my desk ( close the laptop I pair with ).

Thanks for the detailed showdown, and your conclusion is spot on. I need to decide if I am willing to give Moondrop another try, my Aria didn’t leave my desk and failed in under 4 months, and that was after the paint chipped Starfield that I sold. I was hoping they would get away from that recessed 2 pin connector, that they didn’t mount correctly on the Aria, but the Kato looks like it is the same case design.

I went with the 7Hz Timeless as my step up and have been pretty happy with it, but not everyone likes the smooth planar sound, and it does lack impact. I listen to the Mele when I want some good old DD slam.

5 Likes

Heads up :+1:

KZ ZEX ONLY 15$

Store link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/mpc/A3KFVP2FNCFW8X

Discount code: 50CRLA5T

Start day:12/11/2021

Expiration day: 12/31/2021

4 Likes

Looking for a bullet style iem rec for us$50 or less. Preferring something with a similar signature to the Tin T2 if possible.

I had the Tanya’s but had to give them away, I found them ok but not really for my library(jazz, osts, classical).

The only one I can buy locally instore here that are available is the Final audio E1000, which I am leaning towards. Or I was thinking the Quarks via online.

Moondrop Quarks. Absolutely incredible for its price.

4 Likes

For the qualifications that came with the request, these do seem like a good match for @astrod.

I’m not familiar with many bullet-shaped IEMs (besides older models like the Cambridge Audio SE1 (strong recommendation)). One that I see getting praise is the CCA CST, but my first guess without reading about them too much is that they might be too bassy for your preferred application (like the Tanya was).

The Quarks would be leaner on bass, and have an upper mid-range lift that can help with jazz/ost/classical. Hence why I second the rec for your case.

EDIT: The CST may not actually have too much bass. Here’s a relevant extract from a review (nimweth on Head-Fi)

The BBC Philharmonic’s version of Hubert Clifford’s “Kentish Suite” is a fine Chandos recording. Part 5, “Greenwich” brings to bear the full orchestra in a dynamic performance with prominent strings, brass and percussion. There was plenty of verve and attack on the CST and the layout of the orchestra was nicely portrayed. The brass and percussion did tend to dominate, being just a little too bright and forward, affecting the balance and the violins displayed a slightly thin timbre in the loudest passages. The slow movement “Pastoral” on the other hand, was more to the CST’s liking with the woodwind solo floating over the harp and string accompaniment in a most attractive way whilst displaying a more natural tonality.

1 Like

I’m a bit puzzled by this, I suppose I’m just wondering whether there’s something I’m missing, or whether I’m rightly puzzled. This is from a review of the Falcon Pro (an IEM I wouldn’t expect I’d like bassed* on mid-bass response)

Anyway what puzzled me: “Single DD timbre” listed as a “con”. I know poor BA implementation has a tell-tale signature timbre, but isn’t one of the main strengths of a DD their timbrel accuracy compared to other driver tech? What timbre does a DD lend to the sound that of itself is considered a con?

The main drive for people liking single (when coherency is sought as well) or multi DD IEMs is… timbre? Right?

My experience would go along with that as far as the very best timbre I’ve experienced always coming from… single DDs.

I know a lot of this sounds rhetorically phrased, but I am genuinely interested if someone has light to shine on it for me, or an explanation of what “single DD timbre” could mean, besides being used as a plus to explain why the timbre’s so accurate.

*I’m going to play the dad card as to why this pun was left in

3 Likes

+1 for Quarks. Great for classical and vocals.

A lot of reviewers complain about the cable or the build quality but in my opinion these traits are better than on Final E series, especially comfort worn over ear because they are so short therefore the cable aligns really well with the ear.

1 Like

Thank you all! Quarks it is then :grinning:

2 Likes

I lol’d. 10/10 meme