IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I’ve gotten to a point in my IEM journey and collection where I’m extremely content. The HBB Maka and the EJ07 are about the only ones I’ve got my eye on. EJ07 is still the one IEM I’ve yet to hear that I really want to. Treble seems like it be one of the most idea presentations for me. Most likely it’ll be my next purchase when my IEM funds are replenished.

7 Likes

I think left side seal is broken on huawei there’s a significant imbalance on it.

Found the best planar iem out there, no contest.

:rofl:

5 Likes

that U tho.

1 Like

Thats graphed by Super Reviews (MRS). He is at Canjam atm and graphed it there.

That’s one heck of a graph. Sub bass off the chart and bright to balance me likes a lot.!

Wow!

Whoever tuned the TANGZU Shimin Li needs to be slapped. I mean, it is a perfectly functional IEM that isn’t amazing but steps pretty correctly.

And then at 4k, they decided to just quit tuning it and stuffed it with dampener. I simply do not know how you could put this into production and think you were done. This is easily the worst treble I’ve listened to.

Did I mention, wow!?!?

2 Likes

STUDIO REFERENCE TUNED?

Recording Studio Reaction GIF by American Masters on PBS

2 Likes

Banger write up, my friend. I’m very content with my Mon. MKII but I’ve started to get the itch to look for another set. Probably not in the same price categories as these but it’s always interesting to read the views of others.

1 Like

Well. I was very close to listing the Maestro, just the Serial matching my preferences overall as usual…

But the last couple of hours I’ve been listening to them. Low gain, 2.5mm via Qudelix 5k. I’m not only loving the full range of the tuning, but I’m really really
impressed with the technicalities…

This brings me in to an observation I don’t have the expertise to say more about: “high gain”.
Whenever I’ve had a set of IEMs that I’ve either read “love power” or otherwise can infer need it (giant DD, planars), I’ve set them to high gain. Not just on Qudelix 5K, but various DAPs too. Well in almost all cases, I’ve found they all sound better on low gain raised to a higher volume.

“High gain” setting just sound like they take the sound and V-shape it, like EQing the last stretch instead of genuinely relying on power. Perhaps
It’s simply what more power genuinely does, but matching volume on low gain seems to have a different result?

In the Maestro’s case disabling it just really unified the sound, the treble stood out a bit on HG.

Some tracks that have sounded phenomenal in the last session (vocals, staging, bass, coherency, atmosphere, detail). Bolded = extra stand-out

Radiohead - Exit Music (for a film)

Ewigheim - Wir, der teufel und ich

Dire Straits - Lady writer

Rammstein - Los

Eqigheim - Shlaflied

Plaid - Rat’s step

Weyes Blood - Mirror Forever

Beach House - The Bells

Chairlift - Met before

Jordi Savall - Bach, JS: Sonata for Viola da Gamba in G Major, MWV 1027: IV. Allegro moderato

Incantatem - Einsame rache

Kim Gordon - Don’t play it

Purity Ring - Pink lightning

Judas Priest - Grinder

Hans Zimmer - Blade Runner

At this point, unless this session is a one-off fever dream before starting a week with the grading done but 0 classes planned for, I’ll have to retract words to the effect of the Maestro being a one trick pony. I hope the ePro Horns’ length are enough to stop me worrying about the gaping nozzles.

8 Likes

Unless you are really maxing out the voltage output on the low gain I don’t really see a point of switching it to high gain mode. In q5k you have good example where you can check the RMS voltage out from the amplifier and compare in what ranges you land with both low and high gain for comfortable listening level (max android level first or at least keep it constant).
Most likely it would be 100mV or less for IEMs, so the high gain adding this extra 1V of headroom does not really mean a lot, and added noise distortion in high gain is the real deal. Even in the app they recommend leaving 1V mode on unless you are not happy with the loudness level :slight_smile:

I am not sure about the high gain sounding more V-shaped though - I just propose the good volume matching

2 Likes

It very much seems to vary on the implementation that the amp creator has made, sometimes their amps will sound best with the lowest volume/gain combination you can get and other times (Schiit being the main one I think of) the amp will sound better with the highest gain setting and matching the volume to account for that.

1 Like

:policeman: Source Police :policeman:

Woop Woop

2 Likes

Yes, there may be cases that in some ranges of operation of an amp (likely near max and min of the range - I would say by rule of thumb out of my ass first 10% and last 10%) it does not control the output properly. And this is when you think of changing the gain. I am not sure about different implementation of different amp gains honestly within one amp, but that is just me.

Then there are transients (high outstanding peaks of volume → power need) in highly dynamic music recordings, but I am not sure that those are often the problems (I dissected couple of my “well-recorded” songs in audacity and I cannot find many examples of them)

Yep, this is my personal mission to fulfil until I really hear something “scaling” with power output of the source :smiley: Don’t hate me for that, I had very tough weekend with my daugher

1 Like

Xinhs x Akros Erasmus graph below - looks very similar to MIM Dark Magician V2 up until the treble!
I would have a listen by the end of this week.

3 Likes

and it has switches (00 and 11). It sounds like the graph looks like. Delicate, neutral with tasteful bass boost. Almost too good for a first collab. Akros hit a homerun here.

3 Likes

Any similar sets that you would compare it to sound wise?

Dunu Vulkan

3 Likes

Nice, I wanted to buy that one (due to the looks and configuration mainly, but still)

1 Like