IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Not too sure about that but he does love a U12T as do some other folk on here…

1 Like

For some of us, that’s a reason TO trust him.

5 Likes

Here is my review of the 64 Audio U4s!

4 Likes

I think that for $1100 ChiFi has better offers. Even for 1/2 of $1100, tbh :wink: .
The form factor of all IEMs on 64audio is terrible , tbh too :beers: .

2 Likes

possibly although I haven’t heard anything in that price range that matches what this does from a technicalities standpoint. While it might be align 100% with my preferences its a very addicting listen. The mid bass on this is a ridiculous high quality and the best I have heard to date. Other sets I have heard that a bring a similar quantity of midbass don’t have nearly the same level of space and imaging. If the tuning works for you I feel like its hard to improve on what they did here. While the fit isn’t bad for me and definitely not uncomfortable, it did require a lot of tip rolling and also I would like something more form fitting for the price.

if the base rise started closer to 200hz vs 300hz and kept the rise through 20hz I think this would have added some air and been the perfect tuning for me

1 Like

Here is my quick take on the Blessing 3! TL;DR Moondrop shot themselves in the foot

3 Likes

Thanks Goober… Yes, I will probably go after the EA500. It has a lot of praise and it is reasonable price to do blind buy. I’m kind of worried about being to lean or bright for my taste, but I’m still trying to figure out wich is my kind of tuning.

I listen mostly to DnB, but I usually listen to Pop/Rock, other EDM, jazz and metal.

My collection so far:

Sennheiser HD650
Like: Relaxed and warm presentation for long listening sesions. Great vocals rendition. Great tonality and timbre of acoustic instruments. Good details for a warm tuning.
Don’t like so much: lack of quantity and quality of sub-bass. Not so good for some electronic music. Kind of “in your head” sound, not expansive. Sometimes I miss punchiness and dynamics (I don’t know how to describe it)

7hz Timeless (my first good IEM and planar)
Like: detail retrieval (amazing), fast driver and great layering. Nice extension of sub-bass and treble. Some Drum and Bass tracks sound incredible.
Don’t like so much: I feel like some tracks have recessed mids. Treble might get hot sometimes (I can’t get what part of the treble to be more specific). Planar timbre is not bad, but it is different from a DD, and I feel like some music genres don’t feel right with planar. It has a narrow presentation.

7hz Zero:
Like: cheap ¿?. DD timbre.
Don’t like so much: Everything else I think… Too lean for my taste. Some tracks are shouty for me. Ok technicalities, nothing special.

Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro (gen 1):
Like: Warm Punchy tonality. DD timbre.
Don’t like so much: Bass bleeds slightly into mids. Lack of treble extension. Decent technicalities for a bluetooth tws, but nothing special.

Sennheiser Amperior (from memory, I’ve lost them :smiling_face_with_tear:):
Like: quite punchy and dynamic bass (and quality bass). Decent technical performance for a on ear headphone.
Don’t like so much: not enough sub-bass. I remember treble being hot in some tracks.

The EA500 might be bright for me, but as i can’t quite get wich part of the treble is that triggers that hotness in my ear, it might be OK. And so far, from other reviews it checks some of what I’m looking for (dd timbre, decent technicalities, speed, punchy bass, a little more foward vocals than Timeless…)

I wrote a lot… hahaha

Have a nice day all :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Might be worth checking out the simgot EW200?

4 Likes

Any thoughts on Fiio FD11, I have a deal that I can get this FD11 with only 30$, is it good for the price?

1 Like

Fiio FD11 is a fun IEM, I highly reccomend it. Some included me had to tip roll to get secure fit.

I guess FIIO signature sold for 30-40usd(my first FIIO), boosted low end with good quality, mids that are quite lush on vocals.
Treble is detailed but not overly so. Why I call it a fun set, a Korean friend took it with him for a meet and they guessed on price. Most guessed around 200usd, not sure if I 100% agree, but it’s a very good value if the sound is for you.

Metal build is good, and tips. Cable is okay, but if your going to cable roll you will have to mod the cable.

7 Likes

Thanks to my good buddy, the ever gracious and generous @MMag05, I’ve had the opportunity to listen to a 64 Audio product in my own home, within a quiet environment on my desktop stack for the first time.

The U4s is a very decent IEM. I’ve given up the full write up gig thing, as I’ve found my self either enjoying an IEM, or not. If I don’t - move on. No need to over analyze. If I do? I can break it down into basically 3 parts;

Tuning.
Dynamics.
Timbre.

Are all of these checked? If so, I enjoy em. End of story. The special characters like, the P1 Max or OG Tea deserve a little more of a deep dive but I can confidently say that the U4s has great dynamics, extremely correct timbre, and the tuning with the M12 modules is right up my alley.

Stand out things I can say; the resolution is very good, that’s probably the first thing that stood out to me. According to my HRTF, there is very little masking, and little to no glare in and around the upper mids (about 3.5k, that’s my hot spot). Details in the foreground and the background are clearly heard. Stage is decently spacious, with a strong center image.

I can understand why as an audiophile, these would be an enjoyable experience. These are good, maybe even great, but not special. And at $1100, for me to give them a full rec, they have to have a special sauce to them. But hey, that is just how I’m seeing the hobby at this point in time.

Thanks again, @MMag05 :+1: you’re the man.

18 Likes

To all 711-coupler veterans. I ordered the OG EJ07 from a retailer and graphed it immediately upon arrival. The left channel graph looked broken (bass curve falls off under 200 Hz) so I returned it to the seller for repairs after regraphing 2 more times and double checking with other IEMs and cables in order to make sure my equipment isn’t faulty.

Now the retailer claims after his own FR measurement that the set is working perfectly fine:

Is there any scenario where the 711 coupler could be that way off? Has the EJ07 some special characteristics in the crossovers or whatever? Unfortunately I didn’t check the bass signature with my own ears before sending it back.

2 Likes

Nope, unless you accidentally blocked a vent when you measured or something like that. It should not be that bad.

But, did you also hear it?

I should have but was too agitated and rushed back to the post office.

With how the bass shelf looks, it looks like either the inner venting is broken or something is wrong with the crossover.

You should have tried it. I guess you would feel that difference :smile:.
It seems unreal bad to me personally.

Yeah, decent rival to this.

:joy:

4 Likes

Oh right I forgot, but that could be possible if you had a poor seal while measuring it.

I just asked for a refund. I’m in no mood for a retailer back and forth in epic proportions.

3 Likes

I measured 3 times. Each time putting tips on and off left and right.