IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Use this type of plate on your phone,

Then attach magnetic tapes Ion your back of DAC dongles.

So you can attach and remove then at your will. It sticks pretty neatly. You can even pull up phone grabbing DAC.

The MagSafe or similar wireless powerbank is to deal with the battery drain of DAC. As you know apple sucks and they only employs weak batteries to the iphones, I’m already having battery :low_battery: drainage without DAC, so this will save you some peace of mind.

Streaming hi-res lossless sucks lots of battery, so you’d better have one of those powerbanks.

1 Like

Why that golden ears discourse lol

There are objective, describing aspects to sound. What you need to be sure is about your personal preferences. Know what you are getting.

2 Likes

Given the recent comments around trying not to make unverified accusatory statements and keep the forum more positive

Perhaps you are unaware of Amir’s background in the testing space and the MANY published audio based tests that he has provided…

Personally I, also, do not pay much notice to ASR IEM reviews due to being limited in their scope and nature. Whether I like Amir or agree to his brusk nature - I can still respect the huge contribution he has made to the audio hobby. If I was a reviewer I wouldn’t feel insulted about being grouped together and mentioned in the same breath - especially if it’s based on sharing high baseline testing results. Evidence that a reviewer has the capacity to actually hear what they are claiming to experience subjectively can only be something welcome, or at least IMO…

6 Likes

I think I didn’t make myself clear. It was not being grouped with Mr ASR that is “insulting”, it’s the statement that most reviewers do not know to listen, just buying, is what I say “insulting”.

For ASR failing Harman listening test, I can’t quite find the source anymore, so I somewhat wonder if I hallucinated the whole thing. I did see Amir criticising generalisability of Olive’s research result, and given how Dr Olive tends to respond on social media of results opposite to his research, I wouldn’t wonder the latter poking at the former as a “failed listener”. Again, can’t find source besides Amir’s poking at Harman research. I personally don’t read ASR review of transducers of any kind. But I do admire the highly technical work done by some users there like Earfonia.

7 Likes

:+1: - apologies I misunderstood

Could very well be. Dr Sean Olive is a member and contributor at ASR and him and Amir I believe have known each other for quite awhile. He takes a lot of technical/friendly jabs there - and handles it pretty well, better than I would :joy::joy::joy:

Regarding the idea of auditory tests for reviewers I am not sure it would ever work as if applied meritocratically it would skew young and create an entirely different divide. Maybe applying baseline pass/fail ranges for different ages/perhaps even genres would be needed and this all feels like WAY TOO MUCH WORK for a niche low revenue hobby…

Personally - after awhile in the hobby you really don’t need a test result to be able to work out who knows what they are talking about from the way they describe things, their enthusiasm, attention to details, etc even if you don’t agree with everything they say.

4 Likes

Nice discussion wrong thread…please if you don’t want to talk about IEM’s then please post your reviewer thoughts here :+1:

6 Likes

So I got the tws horn tips in and they are doing pretty good. Just got done listening to Chocolate Chip Trip with the Quintets and man… the stage height and the realism made it really feel like I was in front of the drum kit as he was kicking ass… I am still happy with no regrets on this yet!

XM5 seems like a mix of the XM3 treble with the XM4 bass. Seem pretty bright and very un-sony-like

1 Like

Just saw Simgot EM6L with a 25% coin discount on the AE mobile app. I won’t buy the IEM because I’m skint but some of you may want to. The seller is DD/Linsoul, so should be fine.

To apply extra coin discount, don’t add an item to cat, just choose “Buy Now.”

9 Likes

I only see 5% with coins, maybe it’s regional?

EDIT: Sorry, has to be found through the coins part of personal dashboard, I see it now.

For me it only applies 1050 coins ($10.50 savings) even though I have more coins than that.

3 Likes

I don’t normally talk about IEM cables but in this case I make an exception.
Thanks for the recommendation of the NiceHCK BlackSoul cable @AmericanSpirit_JP
Got it with 3.5 mm plug for 35€ ( NiceHCK BlackSoul Earphone Cable Silver Plated 5-element Alloy+Rare Earth Alloy Wire 3.5/2.5/4.4mm MMCX/0.78 2Pin for MAKE4 Aria - AliExpress).
It’s an absolute stunner. The look, feel, design and suppleness is top notch. Just ordered another one with 4.4 mm plug. The best thing really is the suppleness. so good.
Disclaimer: I only bought it for the bling. As I’m a firm nonbeliever in the “cables-change-sound” dogma.

Perfect match for the EJ07:

Honor shot on Aphex Twin LP

10 Likes

Awesome choice with the BlackSoul, it’s a fantastic cable that looks stunning :+1:

5 Likes

You avoided death. :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve developed Butastur with BlackSoul and H570 ear tips as well. This cable has very good potential especially for mid​:smile::+1:

5 Likes

Went treasure hunting today and found something by Flicker Ear from Hong Kong.
I am looking forward to the first impression. The specifications are interesting. Has anyone here already had experience with the manufacturer? Their custom options are also many and varied.

Specification
10mm dynamic (LCP+nanofiber+silk diaphragm+biodiaphragm)
Frequency:5Hz-20KHz
Sensitivity:110dB SPL/mW
DCR: 15 ohm

Flow (1DD) – Flicker Ear (flicker-ear.com)

Translated text:

Flicker Ear has always been known for its high CP value, and was the first to create a thousand-dollar customized headset for beginners to try the CM experience. This time, the male model headphones - Flow, bring high-quality sound to more users, bring higher craftsmanship with craftsmanship, re-improve the shell, and use metal as a conduit to make the sound enter the ear canal for final tuning. The single coil design makes the connection of high, medium and low frequencies smoother, and the 0.78 2Pin pin is changed to make future upgrades more convenient. The earphone case is handmade and is definitely a crystallization of one step at a time.
The inside of the moving coil uses a variety of different diaphragm materials to combine to form a moving coil, first with LCP+ nanofibers to improve hardness and provide a sense of speed, and then with silk added to the secret biodiaphragm, the benefits are good toughness, large dynamics, natural sound. A dynamic unit uses different materials to make the audio field that can be expressed wider, and the rigidity of different materials is integrated, so that the sound expression is complete, and the high, medium and low frequencies have good performance.

9 Likes

BWAHAHAHAHA

Set came up with an 898.00 price and I was about to ask if you’ve lost your mind. Then it translated to US currency and I was like never mind, now this makes sense.

LOL

Good luck that it’s treasure hunting and not dumpster diving!

4 Likes

Any one tried Geek Wold GK100? Really tempted to buy it from hifigo.

Love trying underrated iem.

1 Like

I am with you. I have tried a few, and I still think for IEMs my favorite is the BTR5. You can run it wired or over Bluetooth, and who doesn’t like options. I have an older model, but these are typically around $130.

The best budget deals are the Apple Dongle, at $8, and the 7Hz Sevenhertz 71. The 71 is only $35 and my goto for when I travel, and it uses a fairly recent AKM DAC chip.

The connector formerly known as QDC

I am really curious to see reviews on the Simgot EM6L. I loved the EA500, but thought the EW200 was pretty meh.

4 Likes

Jcally JA3 is hard to beat for dongle convenience.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003618977618.html

(tiny af)

5 Likes

I also have a Stouchi with the cx31993 DAC chip, that I bought before I knew anything, and it sounds pretty good. I think they are two for $15 on Amazon. My wife tends to leave buds and adapters in her laundry, so I always have a couple of these around.

1 Like