IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Is there any way to get involved in the sorta “internal” HFG IEM tour some of you guys do? I’m not heavy into testing/graphing dozens of units like you guys, but would like to try out a couple mid-fi units to see what I’m missing.

Apologize if this is a taboo thing to ask about but figured I would give it a shot.

To each their own. I however to not prefer to have my brain pierced with needles and my ears bleeding after only 5 minutes. Funny to because my hearing already isn’t that great and can only barely identify up to 14k on frequency sweeps. Around 12k is where it’s pretty solid and noticeable during music. Some of the sets a lot of people enjoy that aren’t even really considered bright are just to much for me. Mainly because of over emphasis on certain frequencies in the 2.5-4.5k unless you blanket it with a lot of lower emphasis like Meteor.

It just becomes all my brain can focus on and becomes distracting to the overall song. Give me a nice thick blanket of bass over upper mids and it’s game on for the most part. Of my current rotation UP and Supernova aren’t in this boat but the whole upper mids and presence region don’t really add extra emphasis to anything. Then Aurora just has this nice gentle hump over the bass and sounds so smooth and silky.

5 Likes

tbh, the bass of Hype2 is a bit tricky to classify. It does not have a whole wall of bass, kinda fuzzy mushy, but fun like Legato. It is not lean, focused sub bass “jab” like Symphonium Helios. And it is certainly not the cloudy sub bass with no clean punch like Monarch II. It’s has the sub bass and quick “jab” of Helios, but with more audible mid bass rather than just physical impact. It’s likely that the presence at 5kHz also help with the “snap” of the bass.

This IEM is very tip dependent. Use tips with soft stem or no stem at all to reduce the impact if it is too much. But you should ensure that you have perfect seal, because if the lower mid escapes, the sound signature can be a bit too “Harman-ish”.

I’m very curious about the description of the Monarch III’s bass by FC-construct’s review. I wonder if ThieAudio transplanted the whole woofers setup or they have changed something, because the Monarch III’s description seems a bit bloaty and blunted, which is not what I hear with the Hype2.

OH, and I did A/B against the Helios. Nah, the Hype2 puts up a good fight but it is still a bit less resolving than Helios. The resolution is good enough for me to stop whining, but not enough for me to sing praise.

9 Likes

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005906166710.html

Did anyone order this? I ordered it from tao (14 usd), gonna pray I can salvage the tuning, should have a TON of potential with that bc driver.

2 Likes

Yup, joined in on it. Ordered it, will be 6th CVJ I have.

Dirt cheap, so can be worth to mod and experiment with. lets just hope that vibrator unit don’t tickle our ear canal :rofl:

1 Like

I think it will do more than that.

1 Like

Its interesting, no idea how it will sound like. I have had headphones with vibrator motors, and it was kind of miss.

That video is just insane :rofl:

Skullcandy Crushers?

No idea anymore, probably around 15 years ago. Probably within some cheap consumer brand, so could have been Skullcandy.

if its that old, then its not the Crusher lineup at least afaik.

The tale of the eagle who soars high in the sky. Circling your head screeching violently. Your nightmare slowly fades in. With each circle you hear a small dull thumb as it’s wings beat against the air currents. It gets closer to your head with each moment. The screeching volume gets louder with every second as the decibel rise. Despite its beauty you can’t shake the fear away. Nothing about this dream is coherent. In attempt to take yourself away from the nightmare you try to look towards its beauty. An eagle is powerful, refined and the top bird of the sky.

This eagle though is different. It’s hungry and out for blood. The screech gets louder and it drops in a turbulent fall towards you. Time seems to slow and the speed of the sound from its screech is out of rhythm to the beating of its wings. Suddenly it’s claws are now spread ready to sink into you. In one final descent it strikes. The blood :drop_of_blood: flows from your ears and suddenly you are awaken. Thankful it was all a dream.

Sorry everyone the beers are flowing and I gave the Eagle one last try. This is the thoughts that unfolded while I was listening. Now to awaken from this nightmare I’m going to happy place with the Aurora.

14 Likes

Definetely feeling @MMag05 on this. Haha it’s like poetry.

2 Likes

80$ vs 2800$, i bet if you put a gelileo in your left ear and a solis in your right ear and play the same song from 2 different sources you wont notice the difference.

2 Likes

Hello Hifiguides community! I’m new here.

I want to shoot off a True Wireless question first.

Has anyone got the new Sony WF-1000XM5? How do they stack up to the competition?
P.S - I owned the Momentum 3 TW and now have Momentum 4 (over ears) and WF-1000XM4.
Any other suggestions would be welcome. I am really into Wireless due to practicality and ergonomics.

They are probably not technically the same :slightly_smiling_face:

Havent seen anything from people in the “audiophile” community but here is a graph.

It looks to me like they tuned the XM5 with a mix of the XM3 treble and the XM4 bass

2 Likes

More energy in the treble from the FR chart. I think they have a new and bigger diameter dynamic driver, which might translate to higher quality bass.

yes, its an 8.4mm driver instead of 6mm. Although the XM5 driver is also a bit different from the usual DDs out there.

So not really sure how it is IRL.

2 Likes

Wait… Am I imagine it or is this driver similar to HD650 driver in design. It kind of remind me of how this one looked. (Obvious size difference as side.)

Not really.

2 Likes