IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Anyhow, I am definitely going to check the WF XM5s out.

At first when I got the WFs I was like “okay” these will do. Sound felt more hazy, less “greyer background” as in opposed to “black background” both Momentums have.

Then I discovered the Sony 360 Reality Audio and I quite hooked on the XM4s now. I am the one who has been sceptical about DSP effect applied to “decent” systems but here it works out great. The imagine and sound stage seems to step out ~ 1 meter, yet I dont find lack of dynamics and detail.

Thanks for the input!

So I have watched the reviews and impressions about the Moondrop Starfield 2, and so far it hasn’t been good overall in terms of the sound signature and just the overall usability of it in terms of listening. Man if it’s true, it’s got to be a downer, especially to me for the Starfield still holds a special place in my heart and also the one that furthered my collection to this hobby. They said it’s bright, very bright as the Stellaris and very fatiguing to the ears to listen to, and I think it’s safe to say that the OGs are much better than the 2’s, for I don’t want to hear sounds that are just overall “treble murderers” for I still want to have my hearing.

Might as well get the Simgot Phoenix instead I guess, or something that is at least close to the Starfield, for I miss my Starfield due to its excellent mids.

3 Likes

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $50.20 | Zhulinniao QingLuan Z4 Earphone HI-FI 10mm Dynamic Drive Wired
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqTQjDy

Looks like someone wants on that sweet, sweet EA500 hype train

Ouch that gain… with either “catheter”

1 Like

Definitely in “slap a filter on them” territory, for sure

I have ptsd from that brand though…

4 Likes

Is that terrible:

Your feelings are valid and we can all understand why you’d absolutely nope on them!

Besides, SGOR Venus still does that signature better anyway

3 Likes

Dunno why they seem to have gone away from their english translated name. And that Jinghong…they released like 2 other versions of it after I got it…

(they dont really look that similar though.)

1 Like

Well no. But if you’re going to have that much treble, as a cheap 1DD that probably isn’t getting worked as much as say you would to tune your earbuds, being that forward in the vocals and that light in the midbass is going to be bright AF. Probably screams a little at 4-5k. So it probably plays as thinner in the bass, more forward, and with more treble energy. Yeah…

Venus has body and doesn’t assault you with the vocals. And it’s still got some spicy on it that lots of people won’t like. So Z4 is scary to me

The Venus is more like a CRA.

The Z4 seems like something like the Zero.

3 Likes

Good luck to them

1 Like

Some interesting thoughts on the NP and bass in audio after an 8 hour car ride. Did about 4 hours on NP and the other four with the car system and the sub cranked.

First NP is a really technical great all arounder with a little extra emphasis to bite and aggression in guitars to my normal preference. Nothing overally done or exaggerated in the upper midrange and treble. It makes some songs actually excel compared to my usual favorites like Aurora and Supernova. The added road noise from the highway had me turning the volume louder which brought the vocals in more clean and gave some extra bass bump. When I slowed down though the treble was a hair to much and I’d turn the volume down. Only then the vocals didn’t sound right and were to thick and husky. So I think it’s a great set for those that may like my flavor and listen in a noisy environment. It’s biggest downfall for me though is it just has no special sauce that wows me. It’s greatest attributes are awesome layering and imaging but, the tuning just is average for me.

Now on to why I brought up bass and the car audio. When I got into IEMs it was straight to bass head sets after some duds I sold or return. None of them hit me though as excepted coming from car audio. Something was always missing. I continued to chase them and most recently looked into Singularity. Do date Glamdring, Aurora and Twilight are the ones that got me closest to the unknown. Today that unknown clicked.

IEMs just don’t give me that chest pounding thump. To elevated without it and the whole bass presentation just seems off on 99% of sets I listen to. So while in a car I crave that basshead rear view mirror rattling sound in an IEM it’s just not right without the chest pound. Glam, Meteor and Twilight are an exception that get me there partially because the bass digs deeper. Especially Glam and Twilight probably because of the driver size and the amount of air it pushes directly to my eardrum. Meteor gets a pass because of the subbass deep which for me gives the appearance it’s not trying to imitate a subwoofer. However though it’ll always be missing that chest pound.

My conclusion today is speaker setups and car audio give me that chest pounding bass I was missing without knowing. It’s absolutely bonkers and I love it. In an IEM it just seems off without the pounding and I’d rather have a refined somewhat elevated bass like Meteor, UP or Aurora with occasional outliers like Glam and Twilight. Any more elevated and it’ll be a no go. With that thank you long road trip by myself that helped conclude this and also to pass on a new Singularity.

8 Likes

Moondrop Space Travel

:+1::+1::+1::+1:

It’s $23 and has same quality with her big sis, NekoCake which costs 2x.

-Decent ANC that works great
-Cute Yuki Mitsuki sys voice that is a lot more talented than LittleWhite or NekoCake’s

-Pairing “ tu tu tu-:kissing_smiling_eyes:
-ANC ON “ :shushing_face: shh “

• Ambient mode “ hmm?”
  • Voice attention mode “ hey :wave:

Driver’s quality is good too.

A great gift option and private use.

12 Likes

This summarizes it so well! I gave up on my basshead search because no IEM will give me that. I do get frustrated sometimes when I see reviews use the worst chest point to describe IEM bass cause it just ain’t happening!

It’s one of the reasons I started looking into speakers but they just won’t work for me

3 Likes

Honestly been waiting to hear something about these

1 Like

I feel you both. The most “basshead” IEMs are more about making my eardrums pound, but it’s certainly the “in your head” feeling kind of experience. There is no chest rumble or room shaking/vibrating.

But I do have my set that makes my head thump, and that’s what I’m aiming for lol

1 Like

Especially for Android OS, if you downloan .apk directly from Moondrop’s developer, you can PEQ all Moondrop wireless products including this Space Travel​:smile::+1:

Here you can find more details (twitter shall have auto-translate function)
https://twitter.com/detroitbcm/status/1652457394989940736?s=46&t=0JEY5S3Hf1wWOxR34LyJdw

4 Likes

We’ve made Butastur (with H570) to achieve this with Macro-dynamism mode😄

Spatial, natural, but surely dynamic and highly textured that you can feel the atmosphere shaking, the heat haze or mirage effect of bass👌

Graph for it:

3 Likes

Hmm! As expected!

Moondrop VDSF.

1 Like