IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I have been curious about those for a long time, since there are some claimed that one is basically the “Anti-Moondrop Aria” and I want to hear it for myself if that is indeed true for I love my Aria when first got my own set. (Only 2nd to my Starfield and 3rd to my Kato though.)

Then again, there is the Tin T3 Plus which I have heard to some that it is currently one of the best to get for its price and I want to give Tin a chance for lately they have been lackluster, and so far the best IEMs I have from them would be the T2 which I still like to this day.

Found this video today on reddit. Someone disconnected the two 6mm drivers from the KZ DQ6 and they still measure the same. So it seems only the 10mm is used. Wouldn’t even be surprised if that is true. Reminds me of these very cheap Chinese phones with fake cameras.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/sp7hdj/strange_situation_concerning_the_kz_dq6_it/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

7 Likes

I made that video… honestly having the 6mm dirvers there or not is the same. I will open up another DQ6 that I have so as to confirm this issue.

9 Likes

Hey Tony, i remember hearing about this some time ago…I’m failing to remember if it was on Facebook or here. I agree it’s puzzling - hopefully KZ will respond to you

2 Likes

Makes me wonder about all those multiple BAs in their other models. Hmmm…

5 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

Any more thoughts on the Lotoo LE-M1?

Musicteck has a sale on them and you wrote a stellar first impressions on them.

How do you feel now?

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m thinking of buying a TWS set and I’m looking at the Galaxy lineup at the moment. I was wondering if anyone has the pro’s and could confirm whether regular tips work on these, for instance some spinfit cp-100s. The pro’s can be bought relatively cheap of you purchased a returned set, which I would be all in for if I can change the tips. However I heard something about oval shaped tips so I’m afraid they either would fall off or don’t fit the charger.
Any reason to prefer the plus or 2 over the pro?

Edit: to answer my own question, yes you can use regular tips instead of the oval ones they come with. My set of cp-100 caused no issue for charging.

I just re-listened to them to solidify how I feel about them listening on and off, and I can say the following:

• A great neutral set
  • To my ears nothing seems to be lacking
  • Non fatiguing EDIT: I’d say it’s on the edge of detail/brightness without crossing the line.
  • Good timbre
  • Small shell but decent length nozzles for a good fit (if not using the stock cable, for me the curves it comes with don’t work for my ears which is often the case with preset hooks)
  • Not at all dull/sterile, even though they seem very close to netural
  • Soundstage/open feeling still rocks

I don’t have the training to say why, especially without the DM in hand, but they are not a baby Dark Magician. They do take volume well due to a similarly flat tuning with gentle mid-bass bump, at least that is in common.

This is yet another case of “if I could afford to keep many sets…” I would, these would be my more or less neutral set. Believe it or not what I may try to reduce things to would be one of Penon’s offerings (I would never have thought that but tip-rolling genuinely transforms them) and the Olina when it comes out. If I could have a third slot for neutral this could be them.

So that being said I will be letting mine go, for a low amount as I know they’re still so largely undocumented.

EDIT: Something I mentioned earlier that is definitely worth following up on: The occasional very high pitched artifacts must have been down to source. I was using my Apple dongle which crapped out completely within a week of those comments. No issues using single/balanced from Hiby R3 Pro.

2 Likes

I totally agree with your impressions on DQ6. I love them more than FH3.
Do you still love Aladdin? I almost purchased them. They are on the way. I love mid centric sound signature with good bass. I can compromise with bass if the vocals and instruments sound good with natural timbre.

I do still love the Aladdin, I put them in again last night and there’s just something magical about their vocals, and the clear, smooth space around things. I would say they are mid-centric with excellent sub-bass amount and texture. If anything I think they take a very slight hit to timbre, but only when directly compared with DD sets. Although I’ve been listening to the Penon Serial more for the last week or two, Aladdin has better vocals, and more mid focus in general.

4 Likes

The aladdins are my endgame set. Incredible vocals

3 Likes

any good USB cable for audio (I need it for Mojo) to recommend?

Thank you, those two statements have put into words the reason why I rarely get excited about BA sets in general. Vocals aren’t the part of the music I listen to. I am definitely there for the instruments, so the timber probably matters more to me, and that trade off isn’t one I want to make. I had recently came to the clear determination that DD and planar were what I kept putting in my ears, but I wasn’t sure why.

I am certain that the Aladdins sound great compared to anything with a BA in my current collection. The ThieAudio Legacy 3, is the best hybrid set I have any real time with.

1 Like

Glad to help! It really isn’t bad at all, but other sets are even better for timbre, if that’s your main priority. Almost always DD sounds best, for my taste in timbre at least. It’s one of the reasons I’ve been reaching for the Serial most of all lately, and will be excited to receive the Olina (based on the Oxygen when a good fit is finally got).

On a separate note, but still about a DD set at least, I cannot understand the response to the CRA. Across the board it’s being heralded as wonderfully tuned and a big change in KZ’s approach.

All I can hear in it is the usual KZ metallic sharpness, and really nothing remarkable about the bass beyond its quantity. It sounds clean I suppose, but sizzly and not at all an appealing tonality to my ears. Certainly not natural, and not worth the fatigue.

5 Likes

I am getting Olina and CRA in the same shipment.

I am guessing I won’t really listen to the CRA anytime soon, since I really ordered it out of curiosity. My favorite KZ is still the ZS10 Pro, and the OG ZEX is enjoyable too. For most of the others I agree about the sharpness. If my middle aged ears are sensitive to that, I am surprised that customers half my age think they sound acceptable. I know better, but nobody ever sees themselves as the outlier. :wink:

1 Like

I think @Szymon would agree with you: The Crack Spot - Szymon's Impressions Thread - #7 by Szymon

4 Likes

What ear tips do you use for your aladdins?!

1 Like

So far I haven’t found a better balance (and treatment of the bass) than the stock tips.

Oh ok, found them a bit uncomfortable and I’m using the CP100 in small and get a perfect fit

These are the most expensive iems I have bought and absolutely love them for my library. Such a mature tuning.

Thanks for the reply

2 Likes