IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I don’t have the Hekili with me, so this is not to be taken too strongly:

• Bass has better texture/definition in the Canon. The Hekili improved over the Lokahi by having DD over BA, but as far as DDs go it didn’t stick out to me as anything special. It was a little soft around the edges.
  • Treble on the Hekili, as with the Lokahi, is something else. I’m happy to admit that I’m probably the opposite of a snob when it comes to treble. But even I had to take notice of what a difference really good treble makes. The treble of the Canon is an improvement on the Aladdin, to my ears sounds very detailed without ever sounding hot.
  • Timbre on each is about equal, with Canon probably coming out a little on top.
  • The Hekili added some 8k intensity to percussion, as well as having intimate vocals. Although never sibilant, I found it a little overstimulating.
  • I had a good fit with each. The lack of notches on the nozzle of the Hekili can mean some tips either slip off eventually or never fit to begin with, but comes with the upside of allowing deeper insertion as it decreases the overall diameter.

I’m glad I tried out the 101 setting, so far I think this might sound best to me. It could be that my preference for sound signature went from mid-centric → netural with bass boost to… → shallow v? Without me really noticing?

I’d be tempted to still call the Serial (edit, said Canon by mistake earlier) neutral with bass boost - but looking at some graphs made me realize how it really doesn’t stop to plateau in the mids much - which is why I thought maybe it would be worth giving the 101 configuration a go with the Canons. It’s not to do with boosting the treble, but more to do with recessing the mids a little. The relativity of FR curves is interesting.

From this discovery on I think comparison between the Canon and Serial will be a closer call than before.

I should keep emphasizing that playing these earphones against each other right now isn’t at all a game of “which is better”, it’s clear to me that both have excellent SQ, I’m purely working out which is matching my current preferences more. My gut feeling is that more people would actually prefer the Canon, especially given what a large chunk of the audiophile community/forums love their intimate vocal staging, and the general blend it presents.

Listening while typing, I definitely really dig the 101 setup.

EDIT: A quick switch back to the Serial out of curiosity, now that they are both ticking a lot of boxes for me. 101 makes the bass the best so far for my taste, I do notice that in the Canons there is a pervasive wide sub-bass warmth (that would be awesome for soundtracks, Zimmer etc) which doesn’t really take anything away by being absent in the Serial either. An interesting “nice when it’s there, fine when it isn’t difference”.

I’m surprised that without it the Serial never sounds thin, or with thin note weight. Not sure how it does it. Serial bass still an enigma to me. Supposedly it has a fairly slow decay, but it has an edge, perhaps some kind of tactile impact, that is a real strength to it and pairs beautifully with its slower analog decay. Sounds like an actual speaker, in a good way, not fuzzy, warmth-over-everything way.

EDIT: Fell on black days came on, imaging point goes to the Canon.

Edit: Timbre is starting to matter. Even when I’m fond of the overall tuning, I just haven’t been able to get lost in the music, it’s a distraction. This may end up being the winning factor for the Serial. Vocals and many instrument sounds just don’t sound “right” even if they’re at the right levels and in the right places. Maybe I should stop wasting my time on BA hybrids.

It’s a shame I don’t like tuning of most pure DD sets (Oxygen, Zen, 3DT, etc.)

4 Likes

@hawaiibadboy did you end up buying a pair of Penon Serial? Quite curious to hear your thoughts on the Canon and Serial :slight_smile:

1 Like

Back to 100 for now, what sounded like an overly prominent midrange may be accounted for from listening with volume too high.

Bass is different to Serial but certainly very good in its own right. A little rounded on the edges sometimes but quantity and texture are not lacking.

The “liquid” description of the Aladdins carries over, things are very smooth.

2 Likes

Came across these last night, hadn’t seen them before, anyone have experience with them or know anything about them? I know a lot of people are getting interested in planar iems, haven’t seen many planar hybrid iems (with multiple planar drivers as well)

1 Like

Another maybe not quite so interesting…there’s a few reviews out there but have any of you folks had a chance to listen to them?..

2 Likes

Wow, 3 mini planars + 2 BAs. The sheer clarity has to be off the scale!

1 Like

Just needs a DD?

1 Like

Moondrop Chu Unboxing, sounds like a pretty good deal considering it comes with $14 worth of eartips.

1 Like

Does anybody know by any chance what model this might be?
It’s pretty old for sure and as I did not buy it myself back in the days I don’t know if it was one of the better ones or not… Definitely does not sound too cheap and I was pretty impressed when I rediscovered it… But then when I switched to Kinda Lava again I was not impressed of the Sony set any longer haha :grin:

2 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku is the sony fanboy, he will know

3 Likes

sony mdr-ex500lp

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! :blush::+1:t2:
Any idea how much these did cost?
Think about selling them as I don’t have any use for them.
I found on offer on eBay but that must be a joke!?

Overpriced due to it being discontinued and rare, probably not worth in terms of sound but might be worth that much for collectors. Although tbh, I havent seen this model before, so probably not very popular…

Found this super useful parcel tracking website: Universal Package Tracking - The best global postal tracking service | Postal Ninja
Tells you exactly which carrier handled which part of the order. E.g.,

4 Likes

Sound demo time for deep insertion budget IEMs: Tanchjim Tanya vs. Moondrop Quarks vs. Final E3000
I find the Final E3000 the all around best performers. 2nd place goes to the Tanya (best bang for buck) at half the price of the E3000. The Quarks are bass light and more suited for a more neutral experience.

3 Likes

In case anyone is looking to buy OH-10 from IKKO:

5 Likes

Just bought the moondrop Chu after Crin’s video: I can't believe this earphone is $20... - YouTube

Gonna put these bad boys up against the Olina to see how they do :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Canon: For some reason 000 is playing out quite differently to 111. I don’t think I tried 000 before because I assumed it would be identical to 111 with a uniform shift. Changed my Q5K to low gain too.

This sounds great. Bass in Ibeyi - River (Official Music Video) - YouTube is what I’d hope it to be. As I listen through other tracks, levels seem super well balanced, timbre is good too. I’ll try to listen to this for a day or two more before trying the Serial again, to be fair instead of simply returning to what I’ve grown most accustomed to.

2 Likes

Had an early arrival today!

Comes in a nice, tight little package! The IEMs themselves are very light for their size, and are a bit like a thicker Shuoer S12 in shape! I’ll put up some impressions once I have time on them.

8 Likes

Aw man why do I do this to myself. With the right conditions (low gain on Q5K, or just Apple dongle) Canon and Serial are neck and neck for their different sounds. Which means Serials still win due to price difference (that I bought them for at least).

My only complaints with the Aladdins, (which still hold the record for an IEM I loved immediately, length of time that I continued to be excited by them, and all-rounder performance) where that there needed to be a little more force in the mid bass, and better timbre.

The Canon is doing that. (000 setting)
But I have no complaints while listening to the Serial either. Working out where the nuances lie, and which of those matters more to me, is a headache I could have avoided. Both high recap without doubt. Coming to realize that the Canons take the imaging prize hands down, even if stage distance can seem similar.

Listen to the Canon through something that doesn’t have too much power. Skip balanced in favor of SE for example.

The Apple dongle is also making me realize how little the Q5K brings to the table for my use case (that emphasis is crucial). My IEMs tend to be sensitive. Really it’s just the ability to charge my phone while listening (very helpful as I’m running an iPhone 7 Plus) and the occasional benefits to cable layout and being able to switch between phone/laptop seamlessly. Haven’t touched the PEQ. Sound Apple dongle is perfect, with volume never past 60% of the bar.

6 Likes