IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Yep, good shout :+1: . Is this just on AE or all sellers?

Luckily I havenā€™t had any bad experiences on AE - DD , DUNU , XINHS (obvs) , BrightAudio , FAAEAL all good.

well, I have this in my server.

List of (some) trusted stores (* marked stores are on AliExpress and excluding official brand stores):
AK Audio ()
Apos Audio
BrightAudio (
)
CEMA Electro acousti ()
Dudo Audio (
)
ghentaudio
HifiGo
Huo Niu/guang ()
JieTu Audio (
)
Keephifi
Linsoul/DD-Audio ()
LuckLZ (
)
MissAudio ()
MusicTeck
NiceHCK Audio/official (
)
NSC Audio ()
ShenzhenAudio
SoundLink Official (
)
Trig Rain ()
Wooeasy Earphones (
)

3 Likes

Screw me, bought those MESTsā€¦ Would need to wait until the beginning of May probably to listen to them, but I know I would end up in this place sooner than later, so why not. Freaking IEMs more expensive than my phone I am an idiotā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Thanks for the list! By server, you donā€™t mean your googlesheet right? I just looked and couldnā€™t find the list.
Iā€™ll start compiling a list and share when ready

Ohhh dude, NICE! Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re a great set for sure. Enjoy! Let us know how you fancy them once they come in :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Happy for you! Welcome to the life of being a MESTHead!

2 Likes

Ok preliminary list here. Feedback welcome! Maybe veterans can share their lists with me (either as a reply or DM) @hawaiibadboy @nymz @Tonytex_Teixeira. Thanks @Rikudou_Goku for sharing his list already!

2 Likes

I meant my discord server: RikudouGoku

1 Like

Also, I must say ā€¦ THANK YOU for buying them because I was looking at the listing pretty much every day :joy:

1 Like

Haha, I was honestly thinking of you while discussing with tge seller partially hoping and partially not hoping that you would buy it first. He told me that there were 2 people negotiating at the same time, so I needed very quickly to convince my CEO to smuggle it over the boarder for me when he would be coming back from US in couple of weeks :smiley:

ā€œVAORLO Factory Storeā€ on AliExpress are the ones who exclusively showed pictures of the original/odler QKZ VK4 when I ordered, but were actually selling the newer rubbish version. Their use of the word ā€œoriginalā€ in the description only further confused things.

They accepted zero fault, showed no regrets, AliExpess sided with them, and $0 was refunded. Very thankful they only sent the wrong $10ish item and that it wasnā€™t a bigger purchase.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your troubles :ā€™( iā€™ve added them to the list!

1 Like

Dunno if anyone here is on Oluvā€™s Patreon, but he just released the output of his latest tuning project (using the earfun free pro 2). I think the result is remarkable. Safe to say I would recommend signing up and giving it a go. I guess you can quit after a month either way.

Dannggg this looks sexy. And itā€™s reasonably priced too - 319 USD. For 1 + 3, with 2 Sonion and 1 Knowles. Anyone pulled the trigger yet?

I wonder if the tuning switches will work as well as they do in the Canon!

1 Like

Ahhhh haha thatā€™s amazing, man. I am glad I was able to be somewhat a part of someoneā€™s buying journey. I really hope you enjoy them, man. I also really hope they fit in your ears well. I was really really lucky with the Mons and their huge shells. I know they made the MEST MKII smaller than the MKI.

1 Like

The tech involved suggests a nice lush sound. Itā€™ll probably be a few weeks before any trustworthy reviews come out, at the least. Nice design and price.

1 Like

Another night of the Serial. The Canon will supposedly come tomorrow, though I may not get listening in until later. All I can say is socks will have to be blown far afield to outdo what Iā€™m already enjoying.

Im daunted by how many hours of listening will be needed to evaluate the different switch configs.

The Serial is perfect for what Iā€™ve been listening to most, gritty/chaotic psychedelic rock.

4 Likes

Wanted to throw this in here just in case someone was looking for a replacement cable.

The Kinera Leyding is absolutely fantastic. Thin, light weight, feels great, does not tangle and has swappable terminations. Itā€™s slightly pricey at $70 but I have to say, itā€™s improved the fit of the Mon MKII for me tremendously. Sounds great too.

Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll be passing the Canons on. Of course Iā€™ll give them longer first.

Itā€™s certainly not because theyā€™re bad in anything they do, purely preference. Their midrange is pretty much at my intimacy/saturation limit (along with Hekili and OH300). Itā€™s a midrange I imagine scores of people will absolutely love. My bass preference goes to the Serial. The Canon is almost certainly better for treble, itā€™s just not something I notice anywhere near as much as mids and bass.

I donā€™t know how I arrived here, there was a time that I loved the SSR and NM2+, notable for their over-elevated upper mids and relative bass shyness (although the NM2+ has gorgeous texture and decent sub-bass extension). I just really donā€™t want vocals/mid-range guitar etc that close to my eardrum in the mix any more.

Technically there are 8 settings I need to test out before I decide, but in reality far fewer.
:white_check_mark: 100 and 110 = bass boosted, necessary for my preferences.
:white_check_mark: 000 and 111 = all level, worth a decent try especially as itā€™s the stock target presumably
:man_shrugging: 011, 010, 001 = not keen to hear the mix with less bass
:face_with_monocle: 101 = not keen for the treble energy in a v-shape EDIT: Reconsidering this one, itā€™s a way to push mids back a little. Good first impressions.

There are a lot of dead ringers for the Aladdin in various tones. When my Aladdin set return from Hong Kong I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll still have the Canon to compare directly. But I feel like I might prefer the Aladdin at this minute tbh, for tuning preference.

Timbre: Serial >> Canon > Aladdin

Somethingā€™s just different about the Serialā€™s bass delivery, I havenā€™t been enjoying the bass is other sets nearly as much. Itā€™s not a quantity issue. I say this recognizing that the bass on the Canon is good in both quality and quality.

Fit is great, I wish the Serial took a slight more tapered shape too.

Stock cableā€™s very nice, much like what comes with Linsoulā€™s tribrids just sans adapters.

10 Likes

Thanks for the in depth analysis! How would you compare the canon to the hekili?

1 Like