IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

LOOOOL

Senfer copying Sony XBA series pretty hard.

so, i ended up getting medium and large size spinfit cp145s to try. Since i have this issue with my left ear, i first grabbed one of each just now for the it00s. Still had the issue of the left on falling out. i was like ā€œyouve got to be kidding meā€. Then, grabbed a second medium one, popped that on the left, and its actually staying in, finally. Find this a little odd because the medium cp100 wouldnt stay in, but, im happy that something other than foam is working. Its definitely not as secure as the foams, like if i move around a bunch it MAY fall out, but this is still the best silicone tip experience ive had so far. Thanks for the pointers.

1 Like

The FH3 bass is impressive. Powerful, yet controlled, detailed, and well textured. Given your overall sound preferences, if you really want to get an IEM with the Sonion ESTs, I recommend that you look into the Shuoer EJ07 (I think the Tri Starlight is the same). It has an impressively loyal following, imaging is often described as holographic, and the main criticism against it is ā€œrolled off trebleā€. Those that really like it donā€™t find the treble lacking though, and for those with a lot of treble sensitivities, it may just be perfect. It has clean and sub bass focused bass. It seems to be very popular for metal.

1 Like

Shuoer EJ07 :+1:

Thanks. It kept posting before I had finished proofreading :roll_eyes: :grin:

MMCX ā€œinterfaceā€ lol!

Accurate product descriptions are not on the top of ChiFiā€™s to-do list.

Well they dont have the belief that it will give them more oppoty to sell more stuff.

1 Like

For the IT00 nozzle, you need the CP145 series. I find the sizes arenā€™t the same between CP100 & CP145. The CP145 series run smaller than the same size equivalents of the CP100 series. The silicone is thicker and more opaque on the CP145 tips and it is much thinner and more transparent on the CP100s.

I use CP145 Medium on the IT00.

You can usually get away with using either series on most nozzles since they are similar sizes if you need a little bit bigger or smaller tip fit.

The advantage of Spinfit tips is I find the silicone to the softest and best sealing Iā€™ve found. Because of that softness the tip size is quite forgiving as long as you have a tip that is large enough. I suggest getting all the sizes and try each size on the IEM going from smallest to largest. Hopefully the smallest sizes wonā€™t seal. Keep moving up until you get that seal. Then move up one more size. If that feels uncomfortable, go back to the one that first sealed.

In addition, because of the soft silicone material, I prefer the sound I get with Spinfits. I find other tips can kill the livelyness of the IEM. Spinfits allow the sound to resonate a bit more than other tips.

You can always go back to a foam tip, but now you can enjoy both and hear the difference a silicone tip can make for your IEMā€™s sound.

Thank you! Itā€™s awesome to hear I helped you out.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. ā€œrolled off trebleā€ is literally music to my ears!

I actually laughed out loud. Nice one!

Remember to ā€œNEVERGIVEUPā€ ā€œMUSIC AND DRIAMSā€

1 Like

Oh wow, yeah that is a very nice graph especially for my tastes. I love that extended sub bass into those flat mids. I was also considering the Thieaudio Clairvoyance. Looks like Iā€™ve got some homework to do.

This is really helpful! Thank you.

Just compared the Shuoer EJ06 to the Thieaudio Clairvoyance and boy oh boy this could be a difficult decision. BGGAR named the Clairvoyance his new favorite tribrid over the EJ06. DAMN! Iā€™d like to be able to try these before I buy.

EJ06 = Mangird like tuning
Clairvoyance = FH7 like tuning

1 Like

does balanced connection actually do anything with IEMsā€¦ if they are low impedence i dunno if they NEED the louder noise of a balanced connection

Its usually not the balanced connection itself but the amp that you are connecting it to that makes the difference.

Most daps for example, have much higher output power with the balanced port than the SE port. So if you are connecting a single DD or a Planar, that extra juice is helpful for it to improve the bass quality.

But if you are using a full BA iem with low sensitivity like the Audiosense T800 then the priority is to have as low output impedance as possible. In a case like that, going SE might be better because they usually have lower OI than the balanced port.

This is purely from a DAP perspective where Balanced = higher output power AND (sometimes) higher OI

5 Likes

That was explained in a way I think I could understand. Thanks!

1 Like

My Tri i3 needs about 70 percent power on my Dx160 single ended. 40 percent if balanced. I doubt I could hear the difference between SE and Balanced in my Dap but is convenientā€¦

I found this article very helpful in understanding balanced vs SE. One thing, which we discussed earlier, is that amp designers usually focus mostly on one of the outputs. If only SE is available, youā€™re good, but if both are available, chances are that more of the focus was placed on the balanced output.

1 Like

thanksā€¦ now i know i dont need to get a balanced cable when i get IEMs because they are like 19 ohms

Actually the resistance isnt the only spec you need to look at to decide that.

For example the Tin Hifi P1

20 ohm but sensitivity 96 db. That is pretty low. So it needs power (and if you know it has a planar, you will know it definitely needs more power than usual).

So going balanced will often help it.