IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Yeah, perks of it being mainstream. :wink:

But maybe u should wait until more info is up on the new Samsung Galaxy buds 2 Pro.
(tech reviewers have reviewed it already.)

You may not be a fan of Moonlight or Mahina then. It dips after 2k and only has a tiny rise at 4.5k. Then itā€™s down hill again.

1 Like

Being sensitive to 2.5-4k region, Mahima sounds interesting to me.

I should probably stop visiting these forums, already bought Hook-X, Tea 2, MELE & Chu these past 2 months and my wallet is getting empty faster than it can refill :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Hook-X and Tea 2 didnā€™t jive well with me. Past the 3k to 5k being raised or a somewhat flat shelf like these two just does something. Seems like youā€™d like the OG Tea and Moonlight. I really need a dip after 3k to enjoy a tuning. Wish I knew the technicals for what is occurring to instruments with my preference. Limited research so far says for cymbals the clang/sizzle is in that region and electric guitars itā€™s the buzz. Guess maybe I like more body, girth and meat presence to these instruments. The flat frequency or elavated past 3kā€™ish is possibly bringing in to much upper harmonics for my liking. Someone please correct me if Iā€™m spewing non sense.

1 Like

My Mahina set came Friday and Iā€™ve had some time to listen. Took a while to find the right tips. None of my usuals worked. The stock tips are good, but I think a clear/green set that came with the Serial sounds the best so far.

I really like this set. The refined and balanced sound didnā€™t wow at first, but it grew on me. I didnā€™t think it sounded very good with the m3x, and decent with the link2 bal. I just tried it on my home setup (Ares ii > Sa-1 & k9 pro) and this is was what I was hoping for. For better or worse my expectations were very high. Bass is surprising sometimes, but not too much for me. Between the Ej07m, Mahina, and Serial Iā€™m set on low end.

4 Likes

Hmmm kind of interesting that crin is not that impressed with the Airships and he said it should have been 50USD. But itā€™s 4/5 from him so I can at least agree with him with that rating for yeah, it can be a bit boring to some people who prefer a tune that is more alive and the bass to some can be a bit overwhelming to some depending on the track. As for me though, this is just right for me.

Those are China-only releases for the SA4. Unfortunately, I donā€™t have more updates to provide at this time

1 Like

Getting my initial thoughts in on the Volt. Thanks to an amazing user that allowed a demo exchange for one of my IEMs. Throwing the Mahina in the mix for a some comparison thoughts.

Volt was one of the first tribrids I had my eyes on when coming into this hobby. Ultimately I ended up shying away from it because all the reviewers saying it needed an $800 cable to shine. Not to mention the somewhat limited coverage of it compared to the U12T. Which is what ultimately I ended up with only to eventually sell it as it didnā€™t quite cut it.

The Volt slices and dices my preferences like a fresh of the sharpening stone Wusthof. Tame buttery smooth treble with airy presence. Which ironically calling it the Volt is an awkward choice. Treble heads wonā€™t be electrified with voltage here/. At most youā€™ll get a little shock of static and disappointment. Iā€™m happy to say that Metallica - Seek and Destroy passed my usual test.

The bass is a spectacular show to. Midbass fans would probably find a great sense of pleasure. Itā€™s got an amazing balance of a slight midbass rise over subbass. Whereas the Mahina seems to be more subbass focused. Not to say thatā€™s a bad quality or that itā€™s thin but, itā€™s just more present on the Volt. Hopefully the coming hours will allow me time to gather some more thoughts.

Above was just my quick two cents. What I can say for sure is, unfortunately my bank account will probably cry in the near future. Or if anything comes electric out of the Volt itā€™ll be me cutting my electricity to purchase one. Luckily I wonā€™t need to cut the power cable because this cable delivers the signature just fine. Which makes me think did all those reviewers work for the electric company?

10 Likes

They probably used the wrong $5000 AMP when testing it :roll_eyes:

Joke aside these look stunning! Are the Volts high-volume approved, or too ā€œshockingā€ to the ears? Curious to which is your fav out of the 3.

3 Likes

Sounds like Head-Fi where every third post is about getting the right cable for the absolute best sinergy :smiley:

4 Likes

My observation is this is when the tuning really starts to shine. At lower volumes it doesnā€™t seem to be anything special. By higher volumes Iā€™m not talking about going into dangerous territory though. Mahinaā€™s signature shines more at low to moderate levels. Of course YMMV.

3 Likes

I got my Tri Starseas yesterday and have been listening to them/playing around with the tuning switches, and I kinda canā€™t understand how these just fell by the wayside and donā€™t get love.

Theyā€™re not perfect, for sure. You definitely have to go through tips (either the stock tips or your personal stash) and roll your way to a good fit. Theyā€™re not plug-and-play that way. And the pressure build up issues are real. Every few songs (especially if Iā€™m not just sitting down), Iā€™ll have to take the left ear out and re-seat it. So I can get how that would be a dealbreaker.

But, these earphones are REALLY good. And the fact that the switches are legit and you can honestly go from a fun V-shape, all the way to neutral-bright is really cool in terms of adjusting to your listening mood or wanting something different. In the pure or balanced settings, they are smooth too but with nice energy, so they can be a very nice complement to an energetic 1DD set. Among the sets I have, it strikes a nice balance of the smoothness of the T3+ and the energy in the upper-mids/treble of the Aurora

One example that Iā€™m currently stuck on is Dax Johnsonā€™s Fundamental Elements of Madness: Dax Johnson - Fundamental Elements of Madness Ā§ Turmoil n Turbul Essence - YouTube

When the full range of the piano is played, the soundstage can really open up and it feels like the bass keys are playing in the lower left, the main keys in the center, and higher keys in the upper right of the stage. I canā€™t say Iā€™d ever noticed that kind of height and/or depth playing tricks on my brain like that.

Which is really to say, Iā€™m having fun with these and at around $100, I dunno why they didnā€™t get more love!

5 Likes

Off-topic but, HIGHLY recommend Tea-cult members to try this EQ:

End-result isnā€™t going to be 100% the same for everyone, but wow Iā€™m impressed by this tuningā€¦

2 Likes

I can definitely see the appeal to this tuning. You can really get some bass rumble out of the teas. Seems like with the mid bump the thereā€™s a bit more clarity too.

1 Like

I am on the same side when it comes to cymbals, snares and hihats being too hot and fatiguing.

I really donā€™t know where are they on the FR graph, but I can tell you that the Sennheiser IE 300 were really wonky to my ears. The elevation after 6k made them feel too V-shaped. I bought them thinking that the graph seems relaxed. It was not hot or fatiguing, but everything was sounding weird, very artificial.

I think that Crinacle made a great explanation about the IE 300 wonkyness in his video about the IE 600. I totally agree with how he described the IE300.

Regarding the whole tuning, I donā€™t think that it can get better than the Z1R. They have a deep around 2k, I donā€™t know how much it helps, but it really makes everything sounds great to me. Maybe I am more annoyed about trumpets, and high pitched female voices.

The FHE sound great to me, I like them, but they can get somewhat hot at some songs. Graphs may be good liars, because I think that the Z1R has more bass than the FHE, not just better quality, also more quantity of itā€¦

2 Likes

I pulled out the UP from the box ready for sale last night. Trying to help @Jawsq with a comparison between UP, Mahina and Moonlight. The unfortunate down side of bringing it out again is Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m ready to sell it. Finally got around to ordering ePro Horn tips thanks to @rattlingblanketwoman and tried them on the UP. Really does something special. The bass impact is lowered by a slight amount but, the texture is more prominent. Maybe one of the most textured presentations Iā€™ve heard. Vocals also pull forward a slight amount and have a bit more emphasis. Overall though the treble still remains tame to my liking.

The below Rush track really highlighted the differences for me. CP145 and stocks tips were my go to before on UP. ePro Horn tips really bring texture to the bass guitar. Seems like these tips are really doing amazing justice to the beryllium driver and tuning. Looks like the UP had some hidden qualities behind my other tips and isnā€™t quite ready to possibly give up our relationship.

9 Likes

Our ears do not work the same for everyone. Then there is a sound we find pleasing and like wine that differs person to person. That is why there are no absolute bests in this hobby. Audiophilia (name of a magazine) There is no A solute Sound ok I am done. Your own ears are what count .

3 Likes

got my EJ07M todayā€¦ is it just me or was anyone else blown away by how snappy and clear they sound (I have a Mest MK2 and didnā€™t have a ā€œholy shitā€ moment like this from them)

9 Likes

I got that ā€œWOWā€ factor from both of them but yeah, the EJ07M is kinda silly for the price IMO.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any knowledge about the
Acoustune HS1670SS been thinking about getting them are they still contenders?