IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I agree. If there was a way to compensate all of them to be equally measured, they’d do that first and then measure – then we could put them all in the same database! Unfortunately I think it’s impossible. Different tips, level of insertion, slightly different calibrations, and who knows what else.

EDIT: There have been desperate times when even knowing it’s not quite kosher, I’ll photoshop the pictures to the same scale and overlay them to compare IEMs from different squiggers.

1 Like

Not really a good idea.

1 Like

I love the fact that somedy actually went through the process of gathering all those graph :ok_hand:
The fact they share the explanations on why the differences is the icing on the cake.

yeah, its proof that you cant really go compare graphs on different databases. (even though I find myself doing it often lol.)

1 Like

To be honest that actually makes a pretty good case for using it for a very general comparison. Slight differences in mid-bass glide, or exact positioning of peaks would be too far off. But I’m surprised how overall close those all turned out, although far from perfect.

2 Likes

As Dunu said, the treble variation is mainly due to different insertion depths.
I don’t really picture myself how the measuring coupler work, but I imagine we could even dismiss the comparisons between graphs of the same reviewer: depending on his methodology, i’m sure a reviewer can’t guarantee the insertion depths is the same on the measurements of 2 different iem (or rather ‘within tolerances for consistent measurements’)…

thats largely done by matching coupler peak at 8k. Although with some iems, like etymotic, people usually intentionally give it a deeper insertion because thats how everyone wears them.

There’s an actual solution to this. Would be to use compensation files based on mic calibration files.

There was a livestream that crin talked about it with Resolve (I think). The reason it didnt go through was also his squig being paywalled and needing a lot of work to be pulled off.

2 Likes

I cannot wait to get back home and try the 7Hz Salnotes Zero, since it arrived back on Monday. I am not expecting any technical prowess of it due to its given price, but at least expecting something decent that you can survive with, with a limited budget if I am in scenario like that.

Going to hear it how it goes, and will take a break from my Airships for a week, because I have not been using my other IEMs I have due to the Airships. One caveat though, the QC issues I might face with the Zeroes since this is the first time I bought something from 7Hz along with the stories I have heard regarding their QC issues much worse than Moondrop.

2 Likes

I can’t see how you wouldn’t find the Zero serviceable. At $20, they are in a perfect spot that they are significantly overqualified for the price range. Didn’t realize 7Hz had QC troubles like that, but it’s a great price to take that leap of faith at

2 Likes

I am not saying that it isn’t serviceable, I am just being cautious on things lately that is all. For I don’t want to be one of those folks who in the end got disappointed on something that they have purchased, it may be 20USD, but it still money potentially being wasted if the item that they bought didn’t meet exactly the things that they are expecting from it.

You just cannot be sure on things anymore.

1 Like

That’s completely fair. With all the hype around Zero I decided to try it out too, and it’s a fine IEM, but I can’t find a use case to keep it for, that I don’t already have an equivalent (or better) option for.

If I’d bought it to keep, I’d likely be kinda disappointed, so I hear you

1 Like

currently burning in my 7hz zero (hoping it tames that treble spike a bit) initial impressions are good
solid build, while the cable isn’t my favorite it feels really durable better than KZ/Moondrops for sure (how is a $20 IEM having better build + cable than some $100+ sets), not final sound impressions yet but for music that wasn’t hitting the treble spike I was loving it, I’ll give it some time and then probably do some A/B with the CHU

Hey guys,
im into headphones for a few years now. I settled on the Beyerdynamic T1.2 and T1.3 + Hifiman Edition XS.

I want to try out IEMs again ( Had the Tin P1, Fiio FH5 and Tin T2 i think)…Genereally im after the type of sound that beyerdynamic offers…means i like the holographic stage presentation and their general sound signature. The T1 are for sure my favourite headphones.
Is there an IEM that comes to mind that goes into this direction? I dont know where to start tbh.
Comfort was always a bit of a problem. Ive seen custom eartips and i wonder if someone has used some? They would be formed for my ear like a custom shell for an IEM.
The only in ear thing that i use are my Galaxy Buds Pro…for the convienece, the sound is good enough for its use case ( sports etc) and i can wear thjem somewhat comfortable.

I have not heard the Beyers T1, only the 990 but Fiio FD5 seems like a good option for you. It’s got a wide stage, good imaging and solid bass.

If you are willing to experiment, then Shuoer S12 or if you are like me and sensitive to upper mid sibilance then Raptgo Hook-X are other good options.

I only have experience with ~16 IEMs, so you should probably wait for some more experienced users here before making a purchase decision.

1 Like

Grab the 7hz Zero ($20) and see if you like that tuning. Currently my rec under $100 and an incredibly well-tuned IEM. If you want good staging then that would be the EJ07M (~$600) and Olina ($100). Staging wise Olina to me is similar to the FD5 (FD5 has more bass) but due to the FD5 costing 3x more I’d take the Olina for value:

As for planars I personally didn’t enjoy the Timeless or the S12 due to their light-note weight, thinness, and harsher treble at higher volumes. They have great stage air (and detail), but not holographic/3D like the Olina. I’m currently revamping my list, but check it out if it helps I have a section for staging there: JAY's IEM Ranking List - Google Sheets

Here’s @nymz and @Rikudou_Goku list as well: nymz's Ranking List - Google Sheets
RikudouGoku's Database - Google Sheets

And @Precogvision: Precog's IEM Ranking List - Google Sheets

2 Likes

@Coma I have seen people recommend the Fiio FD5 to Beyer users. I think u can try the KZ DQ6 to get a feel on it.

1 Like

I second the rec to try the DQ6 out if you want to start at a low price point and test out your tastes. Olina is a solid rec at $100 for sure too.

If you’re willing to go to $130, the TRI Starsea has staging I’d put up against the Olina (Olina is a little deeper, but Starsea has more verticality), and it has tuning switches that work, and you can test out different sound signatures to see what works for you (I’d suggest you go straight to the Amazing Vocals setting).

1 Like

In TWS news, I got some Mifo 07 off of Mercari after not too much research. Carbon nanotube dynamics. First impressions is that they’re far better than any other TWS I’ve heard, super bassy but mids are clear. Entire tuning is unoffensive. Also something I can’t always count on - easy fit in my ears and very secure too. IP ratings are high and should shield them from my sweat.

Very very happy for the overkill SQ they’ll bring to workouts, I can see plenty of times when I’m popping out of the house I’ll be able to grab them for convenience.

I got but a few minutes of the JVC FW01 “woody” in before that, very dark and relaxed tuning and I liked it, but these actually seem a little bit… better, to be honest! Takes a while to set the FW01 up with a good fit, but fine once that’s found each time.

A really pleasant surprise, for my tastes these are genuinely well tuned.

(Not IEM news, but I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32Ω to try. I was surprised how for a relatively low headphone impedance they push my Qudelix 5K in order to get loud. The relevant details is that they’re the first headphone that aren’t dark until I stretch my ear - I can widen my jaw and wiggle my lobes and there is no change to sound. I’m not nuts about the tuning but it doesn’t seem awful either. Just quick thoughts on it, if it becomes something I have more to say about it I guess I’ll have to meander into the headphone forum!)

I mean if you want to get back into IEMs but want a safe choice that it almost has everything you want from an IEM? Go with the Seek Real Audio Airship, for those to me are one of the best IEMs that I have ever got and most of the reviewers who reviewed it are right about it, not only it sounds so good with its tuning, but its technical aspects as well.

Then again, if you want a cheaper version of that you might want to get the Olina instead, since the Airship and the Olina both are in the same sound graphing being shown by a lot folks who graphed those 2 IEMs. Also you can add the double mesh filter mod to the Olina in order to make it similar the Airship, for the Airships are basically the Olina without any modding done.

2 Likes