IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I bought two of the Tripowin Mele, and have no regrets. One in black and one in blue.

1 Like

I did it with tinhifi t2. I told myself ā€œmaybe now I have a little more experience, Iā€™ll be able to appreciate themā€. But this second buy just confirmed I donā€™t like them: I immediately notice the sibilance on them, and it should the fun for me.
It never happened again since, partly because there already have so much new iem to look at.

But now that I have more experience and plenty of tips to roll on it, I could try again the time T2ā€¦

1 Like

Aha #metoo time :slight_smile:

I did it with Timeless too. And TitanS as well. Holding on to my HM and not letting it go.

1 Like

Have you tried Falcon Pro? I think you would like it a lot.

Thatā€™s exactly how I would describe the FP sound. Somehow very natural without being overly warm. Clarity may be a trade off but vocals are really good on it.

1 Like

First time that I bought Aria, I liked it at first but then discovered my sensitivity to upper mids and sold them.
It started to get a lot of hype and I was stubborn and bought the second one just to realized that is a big no for me.

With Timeless was different. I loved it and sold to get S12 due to better fit.
S12 was too bright and sometimes sibilant so decided to get another Timeless but got no luck.
As I live in Brazil, AliExpress is the only optionā€¦ Came it sealed and well packed, with all accessories but without the most important: the earphones.

3 Likes

Is there anyone who already compared Penon Vortex and Olina?

Olina SE is impressive good but after my Mangird Tea 2 arrived (and turned my favorite set) Iā€™m finding it too lean (sometimes boring lol).
Iā€™m thinking to get a warmer set as a beater and Vortex caught my attention.

I donā€™t want to spend more than $200 and prefer a DD set to pair with Tea 2.

@cal_lando

Cal knows what itā€™s like stock (warm) and with an easy mod (warm with sub-bass boosted) so he may be able to help out!

3 Likes

I have an SE on the way right now but I was also considering the Tea 2, what would you say it does better than the Olina? Is it worth the price jump?

1 Like

Buy RBWā€™s Fan 2. Itā€™s exactly what youā€™re looking for, as a warmer Olina SE

2 Likes

I was still working out what ā€œRBWā€ meant while I was liking this. Sorry for the accidental self-endorsement! I was just agreeing that it was a fair description of the Fan 2.

1 Like

Iā€™ll take a 10% commission(or a test drive on something you got) on that sale :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :joy:

But seriously, without any A/B yet, Fan 2 feels like itā€™ll sound like OG Olina with the warmth that would make the intense upper-mids sound JUST on the right side of intense, instead of the wrong side

2 Likes

I would say vortex is much more laid back than Olina. Vortex has better bass in general (stock and mod) and is definitely a warmer set. With the mod the bass hit pretty hard but it pushes vocals back a bit too much to be an all rounder as vocals were never really forward to begin with unlike the Olina. Even though itā€™s laid back it has better clarity and extension than Olina as well. Overall I much prefer the vortex over Olina (mine has the Tanya filter) and would classify the Vortex as warm neutral compared to Olina being more bright neutral to my ear. Lmk if you have any specific questions or tracks you want me to compare. Iā€™ll be back home in a couple of days

2 Likes

I literally just said ā€œwithout hearing it, Vortex looks warm-neutral a la Dark Magician, and Fan 2 is Penonā€™s neutral-bright (but still warmer than the average neutral-bright)ā€

Thatā€™s kinda crazy lol

Iā€™ve been going to my 64Audio U6t more and more lately, and itā€™s got me rethinking how I feel about all-BA sets in general. I predict that Iā€™ll be parting with more units soon, as I think between this, Kinda Lava, MEST mkii, Dunu Vernus and the eventual Subtonic Storm that I may be getting to the end of my road at least until thereā€™s some really crazy disruptive jump in technology.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not good to talk about technicalities, so I canā€™t say one is better than the other.
I think theyā€™re different.
In my experience with both, Olina SE is amazing with jazz, orchestral and acoustic tracksā€¦ Everything feels natural, correct and with good timbre/tonality. But for me itā€™s too lean and lacks body with rock, pop and metal tracks.
Tea 2 on another hand is warmer and gives me a fuller and engaging sound, specially with those genres that I found Olina SE lean. Bass is fuller, impactful; mids has more body; treble is darker but not recessed and without lose definition and extension.
Both gives me detail, clarity, texture and a 3D effect.

I only use the Teas at home and Olina SE is the one that I bring with me in the office work days.
And as I like to listen different genres depending on the mood and not only jazz/acoustics with them, I was thinking to get another set that is warmer and a better all-arounder.

Wait your Olina SE arrive and enjoy it. Itā€™s an amazing set and will surprise you with what it can do costing only $100.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! :love_you_gesture:

Vortex mids sounds fuller and engaging to you? What about the treble? Iā€™m sensitive to upper-mids and sets that caught too much attention on treble tends to be tiring for me (not the case of Olina SE, but Olina OG was aggressive to me).

I know youā€™re asking about Vortex, but Iā€™m just going to say for anyone that might want to grab that Fan 2 (that price is pretty dumb, tbh), the upper-mids are probably closer to OG Olina, than SE, but Fan 2 is definitely fuller in the mid-bass and low-mids than either Olina. It has more body so the upper-mids are on the right side of energetic for me, rather than too intense like OG Olina. Olina SE is a relaxed version of neutral-bright, tbh

1 Like

Fan 2 is the one with 2x DD and 2x BAā€™s, right?

As I already have Tea 2 as a hybrid, I prefer a set with only DD. But thanks for the suggestion! :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Fair play, my dude. But hopefully thatā€™ll help someone else :slight_smile:

1 Like

Vortex has pretty smooth treble and in general is not a very energetic set, definitely not in the upper mids. There is a lot of clarity though due to the treble extension.

Lower mids and mid bass has great texture and is definitely fuller. Itā€™s not a thin sounding set imo. Iā€™m going to put the filter back on now that I have a sub bass set in the IE600 so I can give you more comparisons after that

1 Like