IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Thanks buddy!

Consider Starfield. itā€™s too warm for me so iā€™m selling a mint coondition set. I would describe the sound as warm with good bass with clarity and relaxed treble.

How is the fit and comfort on the Tea 2? They look to be decently larger compared to the Olina SE. I tried the Tri Starsea, which look to be a similar size to the Tea2, and it felt like they were too big for me (or I just hated their air pressure).

Itā€™s very comfortable to me. Fits perfect in my ears and I prefer it to Olina SE, specially regarding the isolation.

Theyā€™re large but not too large like Blessing 2/Dusk for example.

2 Likes

Boys - I think Iā€™ve found a god tier combo here.

IKKO OH10
Kinera Leyding 2.5mm
Acoustune AET08 copies from timeless
= magic.

I cannot believe the sound Iā€™m hearing from this. I was again tip rolling with the OH10, and I decided to try a pair of tips Iā€™ve never even considered with any other set and Iā€™m blown away. The amount of soundstage ā€¦ itā€™s breathtaking.

5 Likes

I went with stub tips to get hella bass slam, good to hear they scale the other way too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Which tips have you gone with, brother? Iā€™m curious

stock stub tips, tanchjim T300ā€™s and Azla short Sednaā€™s were some of my faves

1 Like

I think Iā€™m buying Timeless again. The new AE version looks promising though.

Are any reviewers with sqiugs going to cop the Penon Fan 2? I know @nymz has Penon PTSD, but would anyone else? Itā€™s a pretty good IEM, but itā€™s hard to suggest something that nobody else who might like it has a frame of reference to.

Or at least getting graphs so people can make their own choices?

2 Likes

waiting for deliveryā€¦Estimated delivery period 13.11.2022 - 03.12.2022

1 Like

Yikes on that delivery window thoughā€¦WHEW BOY!!!

Not me or our teamā€¦

1 Like

5 Likes

Wrapping this up with some final thoughts after a couple days of listening and comparing:

• The 6.0/4.4 nozzle with no mesh is my absolute favorite with my trusty 7Hz Timeless horn tips. The mid-forward congestion backs off as you go wider in nozzle diameter where it backs off completely with the widest config. Where I thought the IEM was being overwhelmed by busy tracks was just a tuning issue alleviated by switching the nozzles out to my preference.
  • On the note of nozzles, while the iem is compatible with the many other nozzles on the market like ones for the LZ A6 & A7, they are mostly narrower than the narrowest stock nozzle for the AMT16, hence, they make the iems sound godawful no matter which one is used. (The nozzles being longer likely affects the sound as well)
  • Switching to the balanced termination with my QP2R (High Gain) lets me hover around 70~80 which is a much more acceptable level to me.
  • They sound effortless and tack sharp, especially in my above-mentioned configuration. After two days of doing comparisons between this and my qdc 8SL (siblings of the Gemini and Anole VX), Iā€™m a lot more confident saying that the AMT16 edges out even the 8SL in the technicalities department. Incredibly natural sounding with deep-reaching bass, but itā€™s also tack sharp where you can hear every little noise in a recording with ease. String instruments and field recordings are uncannily real on this set.
  • I prefer intense AMT treble compared to BA, Planar, and Peizo treble, but I still would be hesitant to recommend these to non-treble-heads.
  • Depending on your source, 6.0/4.4 is probably leaner in the mids than one would usually like, going smaller + mesh brings them up sacrificing detail retrieval. Tinkering with sources and potentially EQ is something to consider when getting this. The crazy treble extension can give vocals a metallic~ish overtone.
5 Likes

I am home now so lmk if you still want me to do some comparisons this week

1 Like

Alright, so I decided to get a db meter and set it up for IEM use so I can definitively determine if my Q5K is working correctly.

Main points:

• My Qudelix is working correctly
  • I have been listening to music VERY loud apparently
  • It didnt seem loud at all to me
  • Im pretty sure I donā€™t have any hearing damage since I hear great at pretty low levels (whispers and such), I have never had ringing in my ears and hearing has never hindered my day to day but I should probably at some point get a hearing test.

Before I go into more details I want to add that since questioning if my Qudelix was working correctly I started listening at lower volume on my IE600. Whereas before I was doing almost 530mV I started listening around 350mV, which I now know is still pretty loud.

Test Details
I ran a pink noise video on youtube to find what db level 356mV was through the IE600 which turned out to be 98db! Even though I have been very comfortably listening to music at that level the pink noise video was uncomfortably loud which was surprising. Especially because when playing some songs in my library i was getting readings between 92-101db.

After that I wanted to see what mV resulted in the pink noise video being at 85db and it was 95mV which was very surprising. while my library was definitely listenable at that level it wasnā€™t enjoyable in the least to me. Bass barely thumped and songs just lacked the energy that makes me tap my toes when I listen. Videos at this volume were fine but music just came across as boring and dull and honestly I dont see a point of listening to music if I have to listen at that volume

One final thing I will say is sound is weird. the ASHA website has examples of things that produce certain db levels of sound and they donā€™t line up with my experience when comparing to how loud my IEM sounds at apparently 98db.

According to the list above, my IEMs should sound louder than a Subway, lawn mower and vacuum cleaner and as someone who took the subway for 8 years and to this day vacuums with my IEMs in I donā€™t believe the level I am listening to music is louder than both of those. I would say its comparable to vacuuming but no where close to a a subway unless they are talking about how loud it is to be on a subway and not the sound of a subway passingā€¦

3 Likes

All I can think of is that the mismatch between how an IEM sounds to you, and how an ambient sound should register at the same dB based on the chart, could be out of whack due to anatomyā€¦ maybe something about your ear canal subtracts a bunch of dB, that the measurement device (which has no ear canal) picks up directly.

You have suction effect with several IEMs, correct (was Canon one?)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s definitely a thought. Idk the biology of the ear well enough though and yep, the Canon was impossible for me cause of the suction effect

To be honest I would go to the otolaryngologist to get your ears checked and verify your phon curve.
It may be the anatomy of yours that causes that difference in perception up until some point, but I am not sure whether it can justify this level of volume blasted on your ear drum in the long run (and it may be like a positive feedback spiral loop). Or there are even apps available to see how your hearing thresholds look like for different frequencies (like in build in Peace APO for Windows) or Free hearing test on line Ć¢Ā€Ā“ Equal loudness contours and audiometry

2 Likes