IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Awwww… This made my chuckle. I love my cats.

1 Like

i bought so many 5-20 dollar IEMs…

every time they lasted about a month

my cat is a chewer

2 Likes

put the cables in a box / case. Real easy solution tbqh. I have two dogs that do the same shit and I avoid it by putting my shit away properly.

Don’t buy a shitload of 5-20 dollar iems. Buy a couple good $200-400 dollar ones imo. More bang for your buck.

Ha ha! So cute. I hear ya. Yeah, might wanna go with the Blon Bl-03? For 26 bucks it’s a great IEM and it has a detachable cable.

Agreed. All of my IEMs are put away in their cases when I’m not using them. If you value something, you gotta take care of it.

i dont have 200 dollars.

i just use them so often even when I’m in bed that I just leave them on in my phone near my bed… yeah probably a bad idea but I don’t think… I’ll probably go with a final audio E3000/4000 because they seem to be nice and bassy and impacting enough for me

2 Likes

I definitely would like to try some Chifi and I do recommend them to people who ask me for something within a certain price range. I was definitely at that point where most people on these forums were at, but the goto in ear at the time was the Shure SE215 lol. Now I have the Campfire Solstice, soon EE Legend X, and some others so I’ll keep an eye on some of the higher end Chifi models once QC improves and I have money to spare since now I am into mechanical keyboards (which is another rabbit hole).

Yeah the beauty and unfortunate part of this hobby is everyone’s ears are different. Even if something is hyped a lot or is popular, not everyone will like it and that still applies to the Andromeda as you experienced. I always try to recommend to people if they can to try the audio gear they are going to purchase especially if it is expensive before they buy because of the experience that you mentioned.

2 Likes

I hear a lot of people in general recommending the FiiO FH3 which would be in your price range. Another one to consider.

its basically impossible to buy them tho

Agreed. I wouldn’t have been happy at all if I had bought it new, unless the used one I heard was not representative of how they sound new, or was damaged somehow. Who knows?

I’m used to hybrids with DD bass. I’m addicted to good bass slam. That was one of the big things I felt was lacking. I don’t care as much about treble detail, as long as it’s not sibilant or painful. Example, the FH7 goes overboard for me and a lot of people compare the Andro’s to the FH7’s tuning. I prefer a more relaxed upper frequency response with a strong bass presence.

Due to where you live? In the US, they’re on Amazon.

oh now i see it sorry… i was just googling them and didn’t see the amazon… just that a while ago it said it sold out at linnsoul and that the fiio link is to some weird shit in chinese

1 Like

:heart: mine to death, and they are some of the most inexpensive IEMs I own. Price doesn’t = better sound. I prefer them to the FH7 and Andromeda.

2 Likes

Have you tried the CA Vega? They’re probably only on the used market and would be a good price imo

Nope. The Andromeda are the only CA I’ve heard yet. This is why I was posting in this thread about the value/cost thing. Seeing those pictures of the insides of the CA IEMs made me consider if the price is inflated for what you’re getting.

czalarenta put everything into proper perspective though with his post concerning value, and I completely agree. If someone is willing to pay a certain price for a product, then it’s worth its value to that person. It’s all relative.

For me, I haven’t found the CA that I’m willing to spend over $1,000+ bucks for yet. I’m excited for any IEM that makes me want to drop that amount of cash. I have headphones worth much more than that as well, so I can afford it. ChiFi brands have just been making it more and more difficult to see the value in other brands. It’s just easier to get burned. I have been burned by Thieaudio with my custom Legacy 3 set. I received one of the sets with heavily rolled off treble.

Did you try contacting them about the sound issues?

Hopefully you find it someday! If you can, it is definitely worth going to an audio show. You can also audition the MEST on Musictech’s website since that could be up your alley as well if you can’t wait for an audio show.

Yeah it’ll be a big force in the industry once they have good QC and gain more traction among bigger names around the internet.

1 Like

Nah. They just don’t get used.

That would be awesome. I’ve heard from people I trust the MEST could be the current endgame for most of us, if we ever got to hear them.

eh i think i’ll probably just go with final audio because it seems like a respected brand, has some more positive reviews, and the E3000 though attatched cable IS cheaper than the fiio when i dunno what to expect from chifi, BA drivers, or any of that stuff (plus recommended by steve guttenberg)

2 Likes

Here is my take on what is the optimal and ends up being the best and cheapest for you if you are going to be into this hobby for a long time:

1. Find out what signature you prefer and dislike, you can do this by just simply getting stuff in the 0-50 usd range that all have different signatures. For example, getting the neutral/bright-neutral Tin Hifi T2, Warm L-shaped Blon 03, V-shaped KZ iem.

2. After finding out or at least narrowing down what you prefer/dislike, begin trying out the same signatures but with different driver types. Price range around 50-150 usd, since some drivers in the budget range have a lot cons more than others (like hybrid setups vs single DD) and that budget range doesnt have exotic drivers like planars and magnetostats.

3. Once you find out what driver type you like/dislike you can begin move up the price ladder. This way you be more likely to buy something you like when you already know what you want.

This is what I have come up with when I look back at my own journey.

4 Likes

so buy like 5 different IEMs (blon, tin, kz, fiio, etc… whatever will have a different sound) and then… find out what to do with the rest of the IEMs after i find out i like one specific sound and then take in another one in a higher lane a la tin, shuoer, shozy, final, 1more, etc