IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Even Andrew rates them :open_mouth:

8 Likes

His opinions line up with mine pretty closely so that’s good to know moving forward watching his IEM reviews. He does say that the treble gets hot and from my experience, it’s more so around 3K - is that considered lower treble or upper mid range? I have no idea - but that’s the only thing that I’ve found.

2 Likes

My understanding is that treble is ≥4000Hz. 3k is definitely late upper-mids though

2 Likes

Have to agree with this, 4-5kHz is kind of the transition from top of the uppoer mids to lower treble IMO.

8 Likes

This is a good graphic to have laying around - I always considered 3K the upper mid range but I guess his thoughts somewhat confused me - makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!

3 Likes

But seriously though, this makes a lot more sense of driver configurations. When Nymz was like Monarch has BA bass and I’m like “WHAT?” seeing that midrange drivers will pick up at the sub-bass crossover makes it more understandable. This is a nice graph to break things down!

2 Likes

There’s a ton of different ones out there, and they all have a little variation, but they are super handy for trying to pin down where you’re most likely hearing spikes or dips either when evaluating equipment or EQ’ing.

2 Likes

Can I tell you all: Kiwi Ears Cadenza has me ready to say some stupid things

In a couple of reviews, just you wait. I feel like I’m about to get dumb!

8 Likes

It’s that good?

2 Likes

Mine’s in the states, so hopefully within a week from me. Big hopes.

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re going to be able to give up say your Serial for them, but they’re a very capable set

4 Likes

Agree :100:

10char

3 Likes

Plussound Allegro…

1 Like

The shells remind me so much of the Campfire Audio Holocenes. Holocene | Universal In-Ear Monitor | Campfire Audio

I just wonder how big those shells are going to be to fit all those drivers. Definitely looks good on paper though. I’d love to get the opportunity to listen to a pair.

I think because you posted this, you should take one for the team and buy a pair so we can arrange a demo tour. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Has anyone unintentionally found something that was potentially mind blowing? Thought altering almost about their gear?

I was messing around while editing some client photos I took earlier, tip rolling the Mon MKII for the first time in 6 months. I should preface this by saying typically, I almost always disregard stock tips. In my experience, they very rarely get the job done better than after market offerings. But through some experimenting, I found that the Hexa stock tips are such an amazing pairing with the Monarch’s … I’m pretty floored here. They were already amazing for me, but with these tips, not only has the fit improved even further (which I didn’t think was possible) but the thump of drum kicks has improved so dramatically, the sub bass is making its presence known and I mean, knowwwnnnn. It also seems like the treble extension has improved, the tail end of notes (most notably, acoustic guitar notes) seems to have opened up. I can’t believe it.

I would have never guessed. The discovery was so profound to me that I needed to share it :sweat_smile:

Ramblings over. Enjoy the music tonight, gents :love_you_gesture:

10 Likes

3 Likes

Yeah, stock tip cross-pollination, not just aftermarket ones, amongst IEMs across all price ranges is underrated.

My unscientific tips/ramblings below:

• For more concentrated/v-shape I go for black silicone tips with thick tubes. I used ALXCD LG Tone Platinum (older bluetooth neckband set) tips on anything I felt needed more bass and/or sparkle.
  • I swear by the 7hz Timeless clear/white horn tips as the perfect in-between for foams and silicone tips. They retain sub-bass presence and bass tactility but also diffuse some of treble. Won’t pull the upper treble as much as foams though.
  • I’m using the foams for the Moondrop Stellaris on the GL-AMT16 currently which is like 15x the price of the former. All foams aren’t created equal either, so it’s fun to experiment.
1 Like

Are you referring to these tips?!

Because if so - these have been my absolute favorite tips since I got the timeless over a year ago. They’ve lived on my Monarch’s since I got them back in April. They are a truly amazing little tip - they are super soft and they helped with the fit, considering large size of the Monarch. I really would love to just buy a whole bunch of them in the M size, as the smalls do not seal on any of my IEMs and the L size is just too large. I can’t find them in bulk anywhere - AE has the entire case of Timeless tips, which only includes one pair of mediums of course.

2 Likes

YEP

I bought four timeless item tip sets from Aliexpress just to get my hands on the large and medium ones. They’re on three of my iems right now.

2 Likes