IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

What tips are you using with it/do you have available to you? Sounds like if you’re using the stock tips, you’re using the blue ones. They are SUPER energetic in both ends. You could use something that wouldn’t push too much in the upper mids/treble.

But you are spot on, with the bass. Whether it’s the overall neutrality emphasizing the bass on the graph or something, the Fan 2’s have more kick than I think is expected from the graph. But not thick or congested. It’s just warm, thumpy blanket.

I’m currently using the black stock tips with the green sleeve. Going to try some tip rolling later.

1 Like

Nah, get off those green tips. They’re bad to my babies. Try the blue tips and see if the bass energy can match the upper energy for your ear. Of the two stock sets, I’d go blue tips 100%

If not, then tip roll. If you have Radius Deep Mounts, that’s where I ended up.

1 Like

Of all the tips I have Deep Mounts are one that I don’t. Is everyone buying them from Japan or eBay? Every listing I’ve seen is $50 or more.

Yeah I got mine from Japan Amazon. I don’t dislike the Tri Clarions on them but they blunt the bass a little. If you have spinfit W-1, I bet those would be winners.

2 Likes

I do have the W1. Will report back later.

2 Likes

Definitely do NOT pay 50 usd for them…thats massively overpriced…

They are around 14 usd on amazon jp.

Oh and FYI; they are quite big, so if you use L usually, you might want to try their M size.

4 Likes

Wow the tips included are hot garbage for the Fan 2 tuning. The W1 size I had didn’t seal that well. Gave the CP100+ a go. Talk about a drastic difference. Fan 2 is definitely tip sensitive and benefits tremendously from rolling. Can now say at least the vocals don’t sound husky. Bass punch and thickness did suffer a bit though.

Overall all it’s a much more tolerable IEM. Balanced everything out more. Still not sure if it’ll stay around. Haven’t really identified anything that makes it a stand out. I will say though I think it’s a great choice for its price bracket. Just not setting any new standards or breaking barriers.

3 Likes

Yup, Fan 2 is a VERY tip-sensitive IEM. It’s specialty, to me, is it’s versatility. I almost always listen to my music on shuffle, with all kinds of genres (trance and EDM, to R&B, to rock, to J-pop, to jazz etc) and I don’t have to change anything with Fan. It is the epitome of a jack-of-all-trades IEM at the price.

It’s not superior at anything but it is just very competent at everything. For me, that is special but I get it if that’s not for someone else

2 Likes

Man if I had the :moneybag: and UK based too :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Replied to wrong thread ignore me :rofl:

1 Like

I just got my EJ07Ms back from repair (or, rather, got home to them) and they got some swanky new faceplates! Same pattern as before (I’m assuming that they couldn’t reuse the exact originals after opening them up), but more of a natural, organic look I think. I dig it!

I’m going to be spending a fair amount of the weekend “getting reacquainted” with them for sure!

19 Likes

Man, those sure look gorgeous. I love the natural imperfections on the new set, like that brown nick there on the right shell. Happy listening, bud!

2 Likes

So, I’ve gotten the chance to spend some time with the new kid on the block under the c-note marker - the Truthear Hexa.

Since they’re so new, and I very rarely get the chance to try something so new to the ever evolving market, I figured my thoughts would be valued around these parts - just in case you were thinking about picking up a pair. Plus, I found this a touch fun, honestly …

A special thanks to @Sonofholhorse as he lent them out to me, totally free of charge and judgement to allow me to try them - then, once I was hooked and couldn’t let them go, he gave me a slamming deal on a basically brand new set. So, thank you, brother - your kindness won’t be forgotten!

I’ll keep it short with some bullet points here instead of dragging on and on like I know what I’m talking about. To my ears:

Pros:

• Exceptional resolution, layering and separation for instruments (for the price tag)
  • Vocals sound natural within the mix, not overly boosted or buried
  • Treble is never harsh or sibilant, it’s quite smooth actually - but has a nice energy to it
  • Fit is fantastic. They disappear in the ears after 10 minutes. Ingres/egress is easy as can be.
  • Unboxing experience is nice for $80
  • Build feels super solid, they’re really good looking in my opinion, with a metal faceplate being held in place by not only adhesive but with a small screw. (Take that Moondrop).
  • While the bass is somewhat lacking for EDM and rap, it has really really nice presence, that doesn’t take a ton of brain power to hear. It excels for genres like jazz.
  • mids are pretty damn clean and tidy - really natural sounding. No bleed, but there is a touch of warmth to male vocals. (See cons for upper mids)
  • Treble is smooth as can be, with a small peak around 7200-7500 Hz. To my ears this doesn’t come off as harsh Or sibilant, but simply adds a touch of clarity to the entire mix.

Cons:

• Mid bass/sub bass won’t be for bass heads
  • Vocals (mostly female) sound a touch thin
  • Cymbals sound a touch thin and slightly too forward
  • Soundstage isn’t incredible, maybe below average? - - For example, the OH10 blows them out of the water with soundstage. I don’t have the Aria or really any other IEMs around this price point unfortunately, so I can’t speak too much on the competition.
  • Last but certainly not least, around 3500 hz it can be a bit fatiguing and actually somewhat harsh. A little PEQ down 1 dB at Q .45 and they are chef’s kiss

I hope that helps someone make a decision and if not, at least it was a somewhat easy and quick read for you!

Thanks for reading :love_you_gesture:

16 Likes

I’ll pull out the Olina and Starfields this weekend and A/B them for ya :+1: Very solid set so far.

2 Likes

Thanks, man. I think that’d be pretty helpful. I’m planning on doing an A/B against Olina SE as soon as I can but as of right now, I can’t really compare them to anything in the same price range!

1 Like

That cable really pops with the Hexa!

2 Likes

Oh man, absolutely - the Kinera Leyding is one of my favorite cables I have. So versatile, soft and supple and it looks damn nice.

2 Likes

Hexa is such a beautiful IEM

2 Likes

Agreed - pictures don’t do it justice. I forgot to mention that the Resin/acrylic part of the shell that touches your ear is a Smokey gray, translucent type material. It’s quite beautiful on first glance.

2 Likes