IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Having this kind of 180 never happened to me yet.
I had different impressions of sets in different conditions, but nothing that would make me like a set i didn’t like before or vice versa.

All the sets I liked, I kept liking them. I may have found some areas of lesser competence, but nothing that would push me away.

All the sets I didn’t like, I will didn’t like them as time passed. But the thing is: when I didn’t like a set, I never pushed myself to listen to it now than few hours a week. So my brain never really got used to it. From the time being, there’s 3 sets I didn’t like: hzsoundv heart mirror, Sony xba-N3, audiosense dt300

1 Like

The only 2 where I’ve completely changed how I feel about the set from strong negative to strong positive are the Sony XBA-N3 and the Penon Fan (original).

My take on the FW01 definitely improved from ok favorable to great favorable.

Interestingly, in all 3 of those cases it started with me finding the mids/vocals too dark/recessed/underwater. So the main area of change is always the same.

Nothing to do with burn-in though, mental or driver - all 3 times it’s revisiting after having had no contact with them for a while.

There have been more sets that when I revisit them after months, or even a year, I feel the same way about them. That’s the norm.

1 Like

Mood is definitely a big factor in the perception and impression of sound.

7 Likes

You make it sound like the brain is an important part of interpreting what our ears deliver…

poker face hello GIF by Apartment Guide

1 Like

It sure is.

The link between sound and emotions | Greentree Audiology.

4 Likes

Cadenza are waiting at home… I’ll try not to let that distract me while the evening at home plays out :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Between you being impressed or you being nonplussed, I’m kinda anxious/excited to see your first impressions

1 Like

The Zeros give me Mega Man X vibes :sunglasses:

2 Likes

From the video game? I can totally see that!

1 Like

Yeah like the sides (or some part of the side) of the headgear or something, I can’t quite put my finger on it but it’s there lol

1 Like

Even though I have 3 new sets of iems to come I’m sat listening to my sennheiser IE 600 with a new cable attached thinking this really is my end game…

3 Likes

Time to cancel those orders! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Maybe for you mere humans, but for me, brain has nothing to do with it.
My ears are absolute. My ears are omniscient. My ears are perfection.

I don’t approve of your so-called scientific studies. This is all but rubbishely biased material.

4 Likes

+1 I am living the good life with my IE600s. I have even gotten my listening down to under 100mV on the Qudelix 5K!! (At one point it was over 500mV so it’s a big deal to me)

3 Likes

I really hope they vibe well with you, brother! I’ve heard stellar opinions - which color option did you go with again? I am a sucker for that dark blue metallic finish :tired_face: reminds me of one of my favorite cars of all time:

Ferrari F40 finished in Blu Pozzi - to my knowledge, only one in existence :drooling_face:

If that doesn’t give you the fizz, nothing will …

8 Likes

In case anyone’s interested, I got to try the Elysian Diva that Precog seems to be so smitten with and I was thoroughly underwhelmed. Don’t get me wrong, they’re a decent IEM, but I find them to be very boring. They have good technical abilities, but there are certainly better for the price. If they have anything they might be best for it would be female vocals. My library doesn’t have a ton of that, but I listen to my fair share of Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald, Whitney Houston, etc and I think this is where the Divas seemed to be most at home. The flipside of that is that male vocals were sometimes left sounding flat or distant in comparison.

Overall, I think the Diva’s presentation lacked the authority for heavier genres and, in general, came off as boring and without character. Let me say that an IEM doesn’t have to add color to be lively or to have character so I don’t want anyone to come away from reading this thinking that’s what I mean. Rather, the Diva somehow manages to take tracks that I find to have a lot of inherent emotional or engaging character and render them somewhat lifeless. I had some high hopes for this set given what I had read from Precog and heard from my friend, the owner, but the Diva just didn’t do it for me. At $1500 there are tons of better options out there, IMO.

12 Likes

This is so me. In the AM when I’m fresh and awake something more treble energetic, than my usual dark choices, and lighter bass hits the spot. Well at least lighter for my taste. Middle day if I’m feeling upbeat I throw on something thick in the mid bass like the Meteor. In the evening when I’m winding down it’s a warm set with lighter treble like the Mahina, SA6U or UP. Maestro Mini is the let’s get this party started mood.

8 Likes

Jeez that’s a shame. Luckily though, you had the opportunity to test them out, just to see what all the fuss is about.

Sometimes that price tag persuades us to think “ya know, they’re $1500 - they must be balls to the wall amazing”. But sometimes, not quite. It’s easy to get lost in the sauce in this hobby - good thing is, you have a great head and ears) on your shoulders. No fancy price tag with sway you!

3 Likes

The price would certainly indicate high performance, but the love Precog was giving them and my friend’s comments about them had me thinking they could be something special. I will say that in the past with IEMs Precog has been stoked on it has been quite hit or miss with me. Sometimes he seems to hear a set exactly how I hear it, but then we will have totally divergent opinions on the next one. However, because my buddy thinks the Divas are pretty good I was thinking they were more likely to be a hit than a miss.

I’m definitely kinda glad they didn’t tickle my fancy because I just don’t need another expensive IEM to come knockin’ on my door at the moment. :crossed_fingers::wink: I’m actually pretty damn satisfied with my current lineup.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I’ve come to the conclusion that Precog is just too damn picky! I hate to knock the guy, I think his very intricate way of piecing apart equipment is a good way to sift through the bs but man - he does not mess around and I am just NOT that picky when it comes to audio. I mean, I’m definitely more specific than the average person but still.

Nice, man! Always happy to hear that - what’s your current rotation?

2 Likes