IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Not afaik.

its certainly useful and its a good way to check if your unit matches up with others as well as check the channel balance.

1 Like

The only thing I can think of is if @nymz happens to have the original measurment files that he used to upload the squigs he could send them to you and you could use REW to create the average or he could create the average and send that to you as well.

Or you can just buy yourself a measurement rig and have some fun! :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

Random audio pic of the day (#RAPOTD):

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Gives new meaning to the phrase ā€œAdapt and overcome!ā€ Lol :joy:

1 Like

2 Likes

Overtones being more commonly known as hamonic distortion will refer back to the lowest and loudest frequency. You can infer a missing fundamental frequency from the overtones but the timbre of the instrument will be off. Especially as in mastering harmonics are frequently introduced to add excitement and impactfulness.

This article gives some audio demonstrations of this + distortion profiles which may be of interest

4 Likes

May be of interest:

5 Likes

So I just got back from the ENT and let me first say that it is something I highly recommend! I got my ears cleaned and also did a hearing screening since I was concerned about hearing damage from listening to music very loud for so long.

They cleaned my ears by using a micro-suction and put it on a big TV in front of me which was fun to watch haha. For wax that couldnā€™t get suctioned they used a small scraper with a light on it. I asked about my use of syringe with diluted and hydrogen peroxide and they said that while its fine to use they donā€™t recommend it for our climate because its so dry here. Instead she recommended I use DeBrox drops on a monthly to quarterly basis.

As for the hearing screening I am glad to say my hearing is top notch! There are no signs of hearing damage or loss and everything is in perfect working order. It was just a screening so they only went up to 8k. They said a hearing test would cover the range up to 32 kHz but they saw no reason for me to get that done.

5 Likes

Aful 5 arrived today
edit: not sure why the pictures turned out garbage they look fine on my phone lol

10 Likes

initial impressions - these can be pretty song picky but besides some outliers that made me cringe a bit Iā€™m enjoying them so far (first couple songs I listened to sounded congested af, and sometimes they struggle with bass)
build feels solid cable is nice but 2 pin qc may be iffy, my left unit had no issues but the rights 2 pin was so tight I couldnā€™t get the cable in, after I got it in and took it out a couple times it loosened up a bit though

4 Likes

Touching the topic - drivers themselves also harmonically distort in the same nature as musical instruments (because how would they differ?) - to much lower extent, but it is sometimes perceivable.

So if you have the sine frequency ā€œshotā€ in the input signal and record what comes out of the speaker you would see those harmonic frequencies in frequency spectrum of the output signal. Which is hella interesting and hard to comprehend if you try to think what is happening in such a complex wave as real music! :thinking:

2 Likes

Well Iā€™m jealous - when I got my ears cleaned a few months ago, they hit my ears with the loudest, most aggressive syringe filled with diluted peroxide - it was ā€¦ jarring. Threw up and everything once I got home :smiling_face_with_tear: I wish they had a little camera, that would of been so cool to see inside there. The doctor did say she saw scarring on my right ear drum and I couldnā€™t help but to wonder what the hell that would look like.

3 Likes

My take on the TANGZU Shimin Li

Not bad another contender for $40 certainly not a all rounder but does have a bit of special sauce with that wonky tuning!

5 Likes

Good for you, finding something in that wonky tuning. The treble was too awful for me to find it

I thought the Sennheiser IE 600 was my DD endgame but the Meze Audio Advar had other plans for me. What an intoxicating sound these beautiful iems make

4 Likes

Okay, so I know this is old news, but I canā€™t believe I waited this long to get my hands on an OG P1. After 30 minutes of listening to these bad boys I can tell you that they arenā€™t going anywhere any time soon. I have heard and or owned most of the major planar offerings out there and these P1s are, IMO, amongst the best.

I have heard folks call them bass light, shouty, too bright, etc. I disagree with all of that. Right now I have them on a nice graphene cable running out of the 4.4mm jack on my Cayin N8ii with some blue foam Tinhifi tips on them and they sound like a very nicely tuned neutral monitor with a lot of detail and clarity. In other words, the P1s are a low cost audiophile wet dream!

Right now Iā€™m listening to some test tracks that include stuff from Liquid Tension Experiment, Polyphia, Chon, Animals As Leaders, etc so basically fast, busy, detailed tracks with lots of layers, textures, and dynamics and the P1s arenā€™t just keeping up, theyā€™re chewing these tracks up, spitting them out, and begging for more. Iā€™m very impressed in the early going and Iā€™m actually fairly difficult to excite quickly.

Next up, Iā€™ve got to test it on some more nuanced and delicate tracks, but I couldnā€™t help myself and had to post this really quick. If you havenā€™t heard the P1s yet and you like neutral/reference monitor tuning with agile drivers capable of detail and articulation, then you owe it to yourself to grab a pair of these.

7 Likes

I havenā€™t had the chance to partake in forum discussions of lateā€¦been pretty busy with work as we close out the year. Just wanted to take the opportunity to give a shout out to @Sonofholhorse for being a great asset to the community. He and I had some exchanges via PM and he was willing to send me a pair in his collection to try out. It was my first ā€œexchangeā€ in this community and @Sonofholhorse just made it a great experience.

Never pushy in wanting to get his set back. Just a top quality guy. Unfortunately, I have decided to send the set backā€¦was very close in taking them off his hands. Regardless, it was a great experience and I am so grateful for the generosity in this thread. Thank you all for making the hobby so fun (at least in this circle!)

10 Likes

I second this - @Sonofholhorse is a top notch, stand up dude. I on the other hand, did take the headphones off his hands and I have 0 regrets.

This community is amazing. No doubt about it.

8 Likes

If you donā€™t mind me asking, which set did you end up with?

No worries at all, brother - I ended up demoing the Hexa for about 2 days before I decided I couldnā€™t part with them. Theyā€™re fantastic.