IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

It’s pretty amazing what we don’t know is there in audio until we experience something new that shows it to us, isn’t it? Those lightbulb moments/experiences where something new occurs to me and/or sinks in are one of my favorite things to experience along my audio journey.

For $15 I absolutely cannot complain. I wanted a 4.4mm cable to go with my Monarch’s, I had all 2.5mm since I was running the BTR3K as a daily driver so all of my cables had 2.5. This thing does the trick for sure!

1 Like

I bought a QKZ Q1-Max, to try out on the MMCX earphones that have come into my possession, and as a $19 modular cable, it’s a winner. They fucking need to release the 2-pin version. Now!

I’d be done buying cables for a while if I can get a 2-pin in black

1 Like

Therefore I am one of those folks who is currently waiting for his pairs to get here, because I got curious about these and my 7Hz Zeroes needed a break as a backup, so I think it would have made sense to make the Cadenzas a good backup pair for my Airships.

You could go with a TRN T2 Pro (or T3 pro if you want SPC and 8 cores instead of 16). They go for around the same price and I have a couple that have served me well. Xinhs also has an 8 core SPC modular cable thats $19 normally, but goes on sale for as low as $13 pretty regularly.

2 Likes

Or looks a lot like the aria cable. I hope for you it is less memory prone.

I tend to prefer fabric/tissue for looks and touch on my cables, but I didn’t find that would behave as well as grapheme+plastic ones

After a quick google search, yup, you’re absolutely right. In fact, I’d go as far to say that it is the exact same cable. I’ve never owned the Aria so color me surprised - it’s the same exact cable.

From the short time I’ve had it in my possession, it’s behavior is not the best. It has some memory, but nothing that isn’t ridiculous. I have a SPC, 2 wire cable from XINHS that was triple the price that has far worse memory with the same SQ. While I prefer normal style cables that are rubber coated, cloth covered cables tend to feel nicer in the hands to me. Albeit, a little microphonic because of the material, it is a nice cable as far as I can asses.

1 Like

I do love the cable that came with the trn ST5: white 6-core. The perfect thickness, perfect behaviour. And white is kinda classy to me. It even is modular.

I should go and search for the same cable without the modular termination. It would be my default cable.

On another note, I compared trn ST5 VS olina VS s12pro VS P1Max.

To my great surprise, the s12 finished last: it’s v-shaped tuning isn’t too my taste.
To my great surprise again, the P1Max is the best set to me, thanks to its forward mids.

The olina and ST5 trade blows; they are very complementary. The olina sounded thin most of the time (the spring tips must not help in that), but the stage and detail retrieval save it. The ST5 has the best bass of the bunch: it is forward, of good quality and very pleasing.

The goal was to keep 2 sets on the bunch, but I can’t decypher olina and ST5. So I’ll have to a/b them again, but olina will get cp100s.

3 Likes

Did you get OG Olina or SE? If you have OG Olina, do the double damper mod (take the spare filters they packaged with Olina and put a second filter on each earpiece). That will improve the thinness. And I wouldn’t use spring tips on Olina, personally. But YMMV

Also: glad you enjoyed P1 Max. That’s a good one

1 Like

I have the og olina since its pre-sale :wink:

I tried the double-damper mode but found it too bassy at the time.

I compared the olina with spring tips, which tame the bass. I finally find them more balanced with cp100. If I ever feel for more bass, I may reconsider trying double dampening again.

About the p1Max, the weird thing is I spent 2 weeks listening exclusively to it , but it didn’t give me any wow moment. I must say I had a really hard time getting the fit right. The nozzle makes installing tips correctly a real challenge, to me

1 Like

What bothered me on the Tea was the dip at 6k. It made the upper-mids/treble sound off to me.

1 Like

Truthear Zero challenger?

3 Likes

Lol sure looks like it.

Must’ve jumped the gun because Linsoul pulled that real quick

1 Like

Yes…but I am going to wait…seems this is the one HBB hinted in his top 50 video which is coming sharing top spot along with Truthear zero. Eventually it should come out once ready.

I jumped on Planar gun with Timeless and sold it and bought S12 quiet happy with them and also cant resist PR1 Pro for 40…so no more planar for me though it seems its evolving nicest quickly…but many already tasted the flavor much i guess.

1 Like

Been listening to the Yume II the past 2 hours and honestly, I hate them… they feel flat, even with EQ something feels very off with them, not to mention they are super “in your head” sounding. Yume Midnight are my favorite IEMs so I thought hearing most people say these are better that I would be in for a treat… not at all unfortunately

2 Likes

Can you get your head around what sounds wrong to you? Very curious

Honestly I think it’s just how cramped everything sounds
I absolutely love the vocals on these though

Like as in compressed (dynamics)?