IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Hell yeah! When I was little, going to the music shop near my house yo check out drums and stuff was basically my favorite thing to do. When other kids were bugging their parents to take them to the playground or the toy store, I used to ask my mom to take me to the music store so I could walk around and check out gear.

Sounds like you better start saving up, Dad. Drums aren’t cheap ya know! :metal::sunglasses::drum:

2 Likes

Okay, so I have demoed the FH7s on a couple of occasions and I own the Andro 2020s and I have to say for the record that I disagree with him a bit. The soundstage on the Andros is quite a bit bigger, IMO and it’s 3D/holographic which the FH7s are not though they do have some good width and are no slouch. That said, I do think the soundstage proportions of the Andros have become a bit exaggerated over the years and I do think that it has become increasingly common to find IEMs with larger stages so the Andros are less of an outlier than they were when they were first released.

1 Like

I haven’t done A/B, but I wasn’t too impressed with Andro. It was a little wider and a little better 3D. But nothing spectacular to my ears. A much better IEM can be found in 2023.

I don’t disagree that better IEMs can be found these days, but I still think that the Andro’s soundstage is significantly bigger than the FH7’s. I also still enjoy mine quite a bit, but I can see why some wouldn’t. That’s just the nature of the game.

At any cost? I doubt! You made Andromeda a king of kings in the IEM world. However, I’ve only listened to them for 30 minutes, while I’ve been listening to FH7 for 2 years :wink:.

I said I DON’T disagree with you. As in I agree with you that better IEMs can be found. I haven’t made the Andros king of anything. I simply said they have a significantly bigger soundstage than the FH7s and that I enjoy them and left the rest of my opinions out of it.

OK, but I disagree that there is a “significantly bigger”. Maybe a little bigger, but significantly! :slightly_smiling_face: But the ears are different, the argument is pointless. I’m just saying that if you have to pay $1000 for an IEM, you should listen to it because it can be very overpriced. That is all!

1 Like

Hey, to be fair Thieaudio did a GREAT job on marketing them :joy: And personally I think the midrange and vocals on the MMK2 justifies the purchase alone - if you can get a good fit, then even better! But yeah, I totally get the sentiment on being attached to your sets :sob: It was the same for me with my Teas, but they were just sitting there in the dust, and I happen to find a very good home/owner for them as they were also just starting their IEM journey as well. Gotta know when to let your kids go :cry: But dw you’ll still have a decade or so before that happens haha.

I was also very lucky that my friend (who introduced me to this hobby - curse him XD) happened to own both the Z1R and U12T (along with many other VERY expensive headphones - he probably spent at least $10K on audio gear) since there’s no audio shops in my city to demo IEMs so I also kind of have to blind buy everything too. But ya, dw about the MMK2 I was just messing around (maybe…), HOWEVER, I will need a detailed 20 page comparison with the MMK2 if you do end up getting the Prestige :sunglasses:

2 Likes

bought myself a moondrop kato… is it bad that i kinda wonder if i spent too much… i know that there is more expensive stuff but it felt like i wasn’t getting that much more details in compared to my old TE zero. i mostly just wanted the TE zero with more mid bass (like tucking it at 200 instead of 150 hz) and a tiny bit less shouty. but i was also hoping for 100 bucks more that it would have amazing dynamics or a ton of microdetails but i dont really notice much… maybe its because i only had it for a couple days or maybe im overreacting because they look and feel expensive but i dunno maybe i bought the wrong thing

2 Likes

Not just different ears but also your source, tips play a role in the perception of soundstage.

I personally thought that the Andros had good stage and Imaging but tuning wise were “meh” for me. I really would have liked more Bass :smile:.

At one time I owned both og Andro and FH7 lets just say I still own Andro and enjoy them to this very day…are they perfect? no but they do somethings perfectly for me lol.
On a side note regarding eq (I don’t eq as I like sets to do what they do, if I really don’t like them then they’re gone) For folks that eq is there a noticeable difference between digital eq and analog?..just out of interest.

1 Like

You’re not gonna notice a big change in tech and dynamics for $100 more, especially if you’re jumping from 100 to 200. Maybe Timeless for tech, but definitely not dynamics unless you upgrade to $700+ based on my experience.

so what should i do… 200 was a lot of money and im wondering whether i should return it to get another zero or something else… but also maybe i haven’t had enough time with it (i used amazon so my return window is the whole month)

Nevermind, my drunk ass didn’t realize you already had it and it wasn’t clickin’ with you. Ignore me and carry on…nothing to see here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Edit: Though I would say to make sure you give it a thorough trial. Tip roll, source roll, and listen to only the Katos for at least a couple days before you go back to the Zeros and see how it hits you then. That’s the best advice I can give anyone for trying out a new IEM/transducer.

1 Like

There’s definitely a difference in terms of workflow and precision as in analogue requires using your ears where as with digital you can just look at the graph.

1 Like

I’ll just add that I don’t think there exists speakers with analogue room correction? Only digital room correction which is essentially what we’re mimicking when we’re EQ’ing headphones/IEMs.

1 Like

Try it for a week, and if you still don’t think the difference is big enough then return it :+1: Also Hexa is probably a better buy for half the price. With foam tips I like it better than the Kato. Similar tech.

With foam tips:

Which ones do you recommend?

2022 for me was great. I felt that I learned more about my preference in IEM and learned how to express it with words to you guys.

Also I bought and tried a bunch of good sets, my current favorite being: Prisma Azul (thanks again @Sonofholhorse for selling them to me), Timeless, P1+ and Cadenza.

In 2023, I would like to try U shape tuning (looking at you Khan…) and keep exploring for a fun IEM like Timeless.

2 Likes

The Azuls are a set I heard about a couple times and got intrigued about and then almost never heard about them again except the occasional reference or mention. I never got the chance to try them, but I wish I would have. I hear they have great timbre for an all BA set. Any impressions you feel like sharing? :pray::sunglasses:

2 Likes