IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

You are my favourite person right now. I’ve been thinking of doing the very same thing to organize my tips, as it’s now starting to overflow on desks and various IEM zip bags, cartons etc.

Also, where did you get that nice tip “chart” in the lower left? Bundle with some IEM or can you buy that separately?

Speaking of tips. Your recommendation of the SpinFits really paid off. I bought myself a pair of CP360 M/S. Started with the medium, but then later swapped to the small as I wasn’t getting a perfect seal (the flange started crinkling if I pushed it too deep). Now the Starfields sound absolutely amazing with them.

On that point, currently running them to either the Hiby R5 or the SMSL SP200 (via SU-8). They do magnificent on low gain, although I have to dial the DAC down a bit in volume to get some play room. On high gain I start to get hiss. But damn do they pack a punch with 6W fed to them.

I personally haven’t purchased, but people seem to like these cables.

8 CORE
https://www.amazon.com/FDBRO-Earphone-Upgrade-Ear-Hook-Replacement/dp/B07V8F3HVX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=fdbro+8&qid=1596239679&sr=8-3

16 CORE
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-Replacement-Upgrade-Ear-Hook-Black-3-5mm/dp/B07ZYF5YZH/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=fdbro%2B8&qid=1596239679&sr=8-6&th=1

Currently rolling between Tripowin C8 and Yinyoo 16-core cables, along with my standard Tin T2 cable and the Starfield cable.

On first look the Starfield cable looked a bit dinky, but I’m starting to like it more and more, it’s very light and long enough for me to sit at my desk with it connected to the SP200. I have a silver/blue Yinyoo cable on the way to run the Starfields balanced, will be interesting to see how they change, if at all. It’s mostly a comfort upgrade for the Hiby R5 that I use on the move.

LOL! Really? :slight_smile:

Those are the tips that came with the FH7 and my introduction to Spinfits. I don’t think you can buy it separately but I could be wrong. It was a fantastic starter kit of tips to try.

That’s great to hear! I’m very happy a rec I made helped you. Thats all we can hope for here. To share our experiences and hope you help someone else. I’ve learned a ton from others here who have more experience than me. It’s a great community of people that all share the same passion for audio gear.

3 Likes

Are there any other iems that has a driver setup ( 1 DD = bass, 1 BA = mids and 1 DD = treble) similar to the Sony IER Z1R?

Having a DD for bass and DD for treble sounds very interesting.

1 Like

Not that I know of. I wonder why there haven’t been other companies that have attempted ripping off Sony’s design. I also love Sony’s design of the IER-Z1R being in a straight line directly to your ear instead of trying to get the sound to bend through internal hoses or cavities. Seems like a more natural transfer of sound to your ear.

AAW ACH has a DD, an open vented armature and a ceramic super tweeter.

2 Likes

The BQEYZ Spring II has a nano piezoelectric ceramic driver.

Have it lol (LZ A6 also has a piezo driver along with 1 dd + 4 ba´s)

1 Like

How is the treble on it. I hear it’s fantastic.

Check my review on it lol.

But yeah it is a very well implemented piezo driver. So much so that it doesnt sound like a piezo driver and more like a typical BA lol.

1 Like

What are your guys prediction for next year when it comes to iems?

Mine is that I predict that the Sonion EST´s are going to be cheaper/more refined so it will be much cheaper for us to try them out in a tri-brid configuration (maybe even a hybrid with DD + EST).

And that the current tri-brids with EST´s are going to have the bad stuff weeded out while the good stuff remains :joy:

I’d love to see a well sorted bery DD with an EST.

1 Like

Yeah that would be awesome!

We are getting a lot of bery DD´s right now so maybe bery DD´s will be the new standard for DD´s next year lol.
(well…“a lot” might be an overstatement when it is only Fiio that is pushing it :joy:)

My old Hifi set up I ran a set of bi-wired MKI Acoustic Energy AE 1’s powered by a class A amp and they were sweet…similar to the Andro’s in many ways…so a fast bery DD matched with a good EST would be dope for me :+1:

Sometimes keeping things relatively simple is the way to go?

Yeah, a simple configuration with a lot of refinement will be better than just throwing in all the latest stuff so the marketing is easier.

Not dissing but that’s a lot of the Chifi philosophy :man_shrugging: so we’ll see what happens :smiley:

And how many chi-fi iems are actually still relevant after a few months? :joy:

The ones that are still relevant and with its hype alive (or not dead) are mostly stuff with DD, BA or a hybrid of DD+BA´s.

Of course there are exceptions and I personally want to see more “exotic” driver configuration rather than the more oldschool style lol.

LOL…yeah there’s two schools of thought when it comes to IEM design
1- Ken Ball etc…R&D
2- Chifi throwing pasta at the wall

I’m glad we have both tbh they keep each other on their toes :+1:

1 Like

The good thing about the second way is that, that is usually the way for newer standards to be set.

For example, after the ultra hyped Urbanfun ISS014 with its bery dd, we are seeing a lot of other bery dd sets.