IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Nice, I ordered Xelastics 2 days ago. I shall try them on both Meteor and KL and see which is wider on my ear.

On the other hand I switched back to my KL’s original white-black eartip and noticed that soundstage slightly got a little wider that it almost sound the same that I perceive with Meteor, I tested Meteor again with “Doors and Distance” I felt that it has at least 1/2 step back when the drums went further away. So I guess it’s just that CP100+ might have added more intimacy.

Tips do really make a difference here.
I also used CP100+ and Final Audio Type E before because i liked the increased bass but it comes at the cost of soundstage/air

The JVC FX9 Spiral dots are also fantastic on the EJ’S my favorite over the AZLA

But $20 a pair in Canuck Bucks

3 Likes

@domq422

Has the shilling gone too far or have we all missed a trick???

VE SIE @ $100
FatFreq Maestro Mini @$430 - Bass God tuning

Apparently VE SIE “far outperforms” in all areas including having better bass…
I’m struggling to believe this - has anyone graphed the SIE?

yeah I don’t buy it. I can barely find any information on the SIE to the point that the VE website doesn’t even have specs on them… I would need to see a graph and specs to substantiate that claim

2 Likes

Oh please not ShillFi…enter there and be like…

4 Likes

Interesting … I have not heard a single IEM from VE, so I’m of course skeptical. It doesn’t bother me, honestly. I know shilling is a popular hobby over on head-fi and I am perfectly happy with my pair of Minis. Of course there are better sets out there, but I never, not once, have regretted my purchase.

3 Likes

Thanks for the honest impressions and sane classification in context of lower priced products. Very appreciated.

1 Like

The mastering of these two bands has never been good. This is the reason they sound like crap from almost any IEM. There are modern rock bands with very good mastering.
Otherwise a very honest review, enjoy! :sunglasses:

1 Like

After seeing a youtube short from Super*Review where he mentioned that the Qudelix can now easily import AutoEQ profiles I had to order this little gem of a DAC. So far everything works as advertised and I find it much more pleasant to handle as APO/Peace on my desktop. I also only need to manage my eq profiles in one place and have it always with me on desktop and mobile in bt mode.

What I can’t make sense of is these “Auto EQ Presets”:

I mean it’s rather useless to have all these profiles while the device doesn’t know what my current plugged in IEM/headphone is. What point am I missing?

Anyway this import function is all I need.

2 Likes

While this is true, there is a huge leap from stuff like ‘Spreading The Disease’ to ‘Persistance of Time’ or ‘So Good So Far…So What?’ to ‘Countdown to Extinction’. The Storm only makes it that much more clear hahaha.

3 Likes

Ohh I was more referencing the laughable shilling/fanboy take.

The minis are definitely not a set to have any regrets over…
Keep enjoying them chap

1 Like

The shill boy takes are a dime a dozen over there, brother. The bias is clear. Especially when you’re referencing basically the default bass-head rec under $500 to compare it to.

Thanks, man - cheers

2 Likes

I hate that this works… I’m all kinds of curious for whether it’s even half or 3/4 as good for 1/4 of the price.

VE is a weird cult though. The boss is a very stuck up and proud guy, at one point he was banning anyone from his AliExpress store who had left less than 5 stars for the VE Monk… you can see the way he talks in posts and announcements too, just generally quite an acerbic character. Add to that special pricing for the “in” group, with periods of time when things are unavailable or deliberately overpriced to the general public, and of course a general lack of reviews (or as you’ve seen even specifications) alongside SUPER strong/bold claims of what the buds/IEMs/etc are capable of… and it at least leaves me not wanting to take the risk to find out if they’ve somehow bottled lightning of whether they’re just overblown.

4 Likes

Even if they figured out something amazing no one else could just because of these practices I will not buy anything from them. I have zero interest rewarding that kind of behavior

5 Likes

Don’t hate me, but I just spontaneously (and irrationally, completely not my style) bought those VE SIE because of this shilling… :person_shrugging: It has really nice cable being sold for ~60-70$ separately and worse case scenario I can image I could resell those IEMs for 70% of the price. There are couple of people mentioning those IEMs as really good (comparing to Serials as well), maybe those are shills, but I was always interested in this VE cult.

This is a strange company indeed - VE Monks are believed to be crappy AF, but I know couple of people that believe that their Sun Copper (very trustworthy in buds community like drew) is the best bud you could buy. There is a reason that it looks like TGXear Totem would be very similar to the Sun Copper tuning :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, I can keep my hands clean for now, and if we’re lucky you’ll share your impressions of them!

EDIT: Where are you reading people’s takes on them? Google searches leading to head-fi threads are trashed by people’s signatures being full of their lineup or past lineup so that any post by someone who has once owned them is positive result. (I do it to, with my “items for sale” listed in there, just a shame how it works out for search engines)

EDIT: I think I’ve fond it, page 19 on the head-fi thread.

Hmm the other user’s take, although they are very fond of it, is that it sounds like would be expected of the price range, and they still prefer their Serials.

2 Likes

Thought of Vision Ears when you guys mentioned VE lol. Their pricing looks pretty good aside from the DUKE. Weird thing is I can’t find what drivers are used in the spec which is empty on their site for some reason :upside_down_face:

The shilling on Head-Fi is, well… :joy: But - it worked because I’m genuinely curious now on how the SIE will perform vs other $100 sets. @pylaczynski LOL ma man.

2 Likes

Unsurprisingly mostly VE appreciation thread :smiley: Frick me, what have I done…

Let’s just say I am doing it for the community

2 Likes

Your sacrifice will long be remembered

2 Likes