IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Is there an IEM with somewhat similar sound signature as the Beyerdynamic T1.2?

Fiio FD5 coming soon: https://fiio.com/newsinfo/454678.html?templateId=1133604

3 Likes

I’ve been trying out the LZ A7 for about a day. So far, I haven’t been impressed compared to the FH3. I started on Gold-Monitor, switched to Gold-Pop and then Red-Pop, but it doesn’t really grab me. I’ve mainly been listening to death-, doom- and progressive metal, with a bit of classic rock. The bass seems to be lower and there’s barely any impact from it. The comfort is not as good either.

Of course, I’ll give it some more time, but I’d be interested if anyone has any suggestions.

Try all the configs. It does sound like you prefer to have more bass (like the FH3) and the A7 does have it but definitely less than the FH3.

I’ll try some more configs, thanks. I should probably try some other tips as well, currently using the same Spinfit CP145 as I had on the FH3, maybe something else will work better…

I tried listening to some Billie Eilish as a bass test and actually there seems to be enough of it on the A7, but I get the feeling it has a better quality on the FH3.

I use the final audio type e tips with them (and most of my iems).

Yes, the bass on the fh3 is better for me as well. With the texture being the biggest difference of the quality aspect.

The tips make a bigger difference than I expected. The included spiral tips improve the bass a good amount. I didn’t like the sound on the Final tips at all, although I think that was more about the mids than the bass.

I’ll give it some more time with these tips on pop-red, since it does seem to be more enjoyable than before. I couldn’t deal with the treble with the black filter, so I never bothered to try blue or silver. Apparently they’re more for the Eastern market.

Fiio FD5 is launching today and costs 300 usd: https://hifigo.com/collections/new-arrival/products/fiio-fd5

Looks very interesting.

4 Likes

That is pretty interesting. At that price point as a single dynamic driver it’s going to be competing with the JVC HA-FDX1. I’d love to see some comparisons between the two when these start to get out into the wild. I got the JVCs last week and I’m really enjoying them so far. Definitely a noticeable upgrade from the lower level, sub $100 chi-fi I’ve owned up until now.

1 Like

Ex800st and Ex1000(discontinued) come to mind as well, it looks vented so maybe big soundstage too.

They call it semi open back. (Google translate)

So I hope it will have a huge soundstage.

1 Like

Source: https://www.fiio.com/newsinfo/460135.html

I was seeing where they mentioned tuning filters so thats always a good thing as well, more variety.

1 Like

I saw that somewhere as well, but it was with translate. But on this latest post by fiio (link above), they dont mention anything about that at all.

“Taking care of your upper ear experience from accessories, the FD5 has an exquisite design such as an interchangeable front cavity mouthpiece, 2.5/3.5/4.4 interchangeable plugs, etc., taking into account the playability of the headset and the comfort of listening.”

That was from translate so that seems like it does stem meaning front cavity mouthpiece etc. as far as I know.

oh, I missed it. Yeah, I saw that description on an older post about the FD5.

They havent posted any pictures on it so I dont really get what it is supposed to be.

A ton of accessories and even a final audio mmcx assist tool.

Doubtfull about that.

1 Like

1607871653732.png

1607871661556.png

Tuning nozzles?

Reminds me of the Tanchjim Oxygen Asano Tanch version.

1 Like

This .75 and .78 2pin stuff I don’t get. Will switching hurt your iem or not.

Doesnt matter. Most iems use 0.78mm but I never bother looking it up and just use them on both sizes.

Then again, with chi-fi QC. Dont expect them to actually be 0.75 or 0.78mm lol.