IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

My brother had one of these

And we had one of these too

I would have loved to have one of these:

I don’t always like translucency, but there’s something cool about seeing the internal, definitely feeds curiosity about how things work and how well things are packed into space.

4 Likes

I like how when it’s done it is screaming ‘this is TECH!’ with sunglasses on :sunglasses:

So just got and measured the KZ HBB PR2 and yeah they measure like everyone else’s. Pretty insane QC by KZ!

Using a single EQ filter: HSQ, 1500 Hz, -2.5 dB, 0.5 Q

Has them sound like the Tangzu Heyday but with more sub-bass at a fraction of the cost :upside_down_face: otherwise without EQ the treble is too spicy for me :hot_face:

4 Likes

I am betting the mods for the PR2 will be interesting.
At that price people will be more willing to experiment.

1 Like

The Z300s have arrived at my house today, I’ll see them fairly late tonight for the first time. A lot of choice for what to put in my ears and focus on at the moment!

5 Likes

Story time.

It’s my Day off today. Nice weather. Thought I’d take the ol’ skateboard out after being off it for a while. Well, long story short, I ain’t got it no more :joy: I bust my ass in the middle of the street unfortunately - brushed my self off and got back on as I usually do. Of course my BTR7 died a few minutes before falling so I threw it in my pocket. I skate my sad ass home, empty my pockets out and… my BTR7 is gone. I rush out the door, hop in my car and go back to the spot where I fell hoping to find the FiiO sitting there, unharmed in the middle of the street where I fell. I thought that maybe someone would see it and pick it up thinking it was a phone or something.

To my surprise and relief, it was still there but not unharmed.

Absolutely gutted, I had no expectations that it would still work. Sike!

Not only does it still charge and turn on, but it plays music and all the buttons work like nothing happened.

The BTR7 is a fucking tank. Confirmed, gents :saluting_face:

20 Likes

Dang, I hope that you’re okay (just bruises and a bruised ego)! Shame about the BTR7, but that’s some sturdy stuff!

4 Likes

LOL the ego definitely takes a harder hit :sweat_smile: I’ve fallen a lot worse before so we’re good. Just some scrapes on my hands, elbows and my right hip - but DAMN.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your accident, mate :frowning: Good thing it still plays!
Let’s hope it wasn’t just a last ditch effort to carry out it’s purpose :saluting_face:

3 Likes

It happens, brother. At least now I have a device that I can keep and reflect back on and maybe laugh at the memory :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

Dam Dom your unit must be a relative of Nokia :joy: LOL

Fun fact I just ordered a BTR7 this morning haha… so what source are you getting next? :rofl:

2 Likes

LOL I may just email FiiO and let them know that they’re giving Nokia a run for their money :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The BTR7 is such an amazing little device that I’m just going to get another one tbh. I love this thing and for the money, I don’t think another portable source would work better for my specific use case. But now I guess I’ll do some research :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

That’s solid marketing right there LOL If I were FiiO I’d just ship you a new one for free. Also, NX7 is solid if you need the juice, but ya BTR7 :metal:

2 Likes

That’s very true - but isn’t the NX7 just an amp with no Bluetooth? I’d need a Separate dongle and have it wired and all that bs - unless I’m mistaken? Also, wouldn’t it be dope to have them send me a new one? :rofl:

2 Likes

Righht forgot you wanted something portable - BTR7 it is then!

1 Like

Yup - it’s gotta be ultra portable, with Bluetooth and a 4.4mm output so the BTR7 just works for everything I need. If Qudelix were to come out with something rivaling it in the same price bracket, now would be the best time for me :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

yes, NX7 is a pure amp.
The Topping G5 is essentially the NX7 with a DAC AND BT function though.

4 Likes

Shanling M0 Pro with 4,4mm adapter.
More compact than BTR7. Not nearly as much power headroom for high impedance stuff (2,7V out) but IMO drives anything perfectly.

No PEQ in the device itself, but in BTR7 back when I had it it’s app sucked as hell. More convenient Bluetooth usage (just go on standby and it beats boot up time of Fiio easily). At least useful screen - it shows you name of the current song. And it is being full functioning DAP on top of that when you don’t have 4G or phone nearby.

Almost completely replaced Q5k to me, just missing the mic support :man_shrugging:

Full rec from me

2 Likes

My portable of choice at the moment is Topping G5. The sound is very powerful and clean.
At the moment I am feeding it with Q5K via AUX in so i can play around with PEQ a little
Q5K on steroids
Angry Sponge Bob GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

10 Likes

So you’re going BT into the G5 as an amp-out?