IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I am going bluetooth into Q5K, so basically I´m using Q5K only as a DAC with its features. Amplification is done by G5

I’ve always wanted to try the G5, so I may just look into it for the next device. The thing is though, it’s huge! I love how small the BTR7 is, and I believe in balanced the BTR7 outputs 320kw @ 32Ω which is plenty for IEMs. Idk if I need anything more for portable use

1 Like

I don´t find it to be huge and have no problem putting it in my pocket but ymmv
I was looking into BTR7 aswell but did not get it because of its pretty small battery and because of some review claiming G5 to be even better

G5 battery life is quite ok but I really don´t understand why battery life via usb is shorter than via bluetooth
In my usecase above (AUX in) battery life is maxed out

I don´t know if you are aware of it but G5 is not balanced, it just got 4.4 Pentacon for convenience

Also be aware that there is some issue that G5 is picking up interfering noice from the phone if it is too close which is a bit of a bummer…sometimes it does, sometimes not…i think it is when the phone got really bad reception and trying to find connection

2 Likes

That makes sense. I’ve heard that from a pure sound quality standpoint, the G5 is a touch superior, not to mention the overall power output is significantly higher compared to the BTR7. And yeah, I know it isn’t truly balanced but that’s okay. I used balanced on the FiiO for the power output. On the G5, it makes no difference to my knowledge.

If you are patient enough, not like me, you could also wait for Fiio Q15 which will be released in september but that will be quite a bit more expensive but i think it will be a big hit

Where have they confirmed it’s price? Also, I thought it was going to be a BTR5 replacement, rather than a device above the 7, but I could be totally wrong about that.

It will not be a BTR7 successor but a successor of an older DAC/AMP called Q5s (in the picture)
BTR5 successor will be BTR15

On head-fi they posted their complete release schedule with some explanations and I just also found it in their forum.

It will be 450$

https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202302141655156522094

1 Like

G5 big boy $100 more, BTR7 nice and compact :sunglasses: Unless you’re running the Serratus or something similar I don’t think anyone will need a G5 power wise

Yeah I know and I did not get it because of its power output but more because of that super clean Topping sound which gives more sparkle to Legend Evo (in high gain even more)…the pairing was just too good to return it :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Medium gain on the G5 is fine for Serratus and Storm, and Storm is thirstier than Serratus.

Did you also notice that there is more treble emphasis on High gain or is it just placebo because i read it somewhere? I am pretty sure it is noticeable

I have not but I can give it a shot later tonight and report back!

1 Like

I am totally mistaken, I read your comment wrong, I thought you said BTR15, my bad. Thanks for the clarification, brother :handshake:

1 Like

No worries bro :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have you guys tried the KZ ZS10 Pro X ? Im between the Kzs and the Kiwi cadenza for rock/ metal and Hiphop. What do you guys think ? Thanks

Low key, I’m selfishly hoping the choice was more 41T/EN1000 time while you have them :grin:

1 Like

Doing some cursory testing with familiar music and unfamiliar youtube vids, I don’t notice any uptick in treble that isn’t just attributable to volume increase.

If I were you I would consider Blon Z300.

Edit: I used to have KZ ZSN Pro X and they had really bad timbre and they were too V shape.
I would consider Cadenza a mild V shape and Z300 a neutral with bass boost.

1 Like

I would quibble with this, considering they graph pretty equally up to 2k. They are both flavors of neutral with a bass boost: Cadenza has a little bit of an upper-midrange notch with a treble cut t compensate, so it’s more of a Harman variant of neutral. Z300 is a warm neutral because of that relaxed upper midrange.

SGOR Venus is more of a mild V-shape, with early-treble emphasis

By ear Cadenza is slightly V shape because it sounds a bit brighter in the gain region and even slightly in the upper treble. That’s why I would call it mild V shape. But we are splitting hair at this point.

The reason I call Z300 neutral with a bass boost is because the pinna gain hits my neutral target really well. You could call it warm neutral but it’s not that warm imo.

2 Likes