IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

1 Like

Please do NOT get the SV021/Robin, that is one of the worst headphones I heardā€¦

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why I said to post the enquiry in the HP sectionā€¦ Z disagrees with you lol.

Yeah i know and I hard disagree on it lol.

1 Like
1 Like

What do you think of the Kai in comparison to the P1 Max, spot any similarities?

1 Like

I havenā€™t heard the Kai in a very long time tbh but if my memory serves me well, Iā€™d say the Kai is far more laid back with lacking treble extension and a far more intimate stage. I just think that generation of single DD was not as capable as the current, take the EA500 as an example, the EA500 literally wipes the floor with the Kai in every single point of comparison. The P1 Max is just in a different league all together imo.

3 Likes

Interesting results and thoughts. If your not aware itā€™s somewhat known that Penon has pretty bad QC when it comes to channel matching. Well at least thatā€™s the way it seems to played out for a lot of us. Until recently it may have kept @nymz awake more at night than a new born baby.

Hereā€™s @rattlingblanketwoman Fan 2. Which has what I consider a bad amount of imbalance.

Hereā€™s @GooberBM Fan2. Which clearly has good channel matching.

Now hereā€™s where it gets interesting. Hereā€™s both the sets against each other averaged out. Damn near match isnā€™t it? So is Penon assuming average for L/R channel to hit the advertised frequency assuming that psychoacoustics will come into play to hit the advertised target or is this just a weird coincidence?

9 Likes

I watched HBBā€™s preview/initial impressions of of the EA500 and it doesnā€™t sound like itā€™s musical enough since he mentions OCD listening qualities to it.

1 Like

This one looks absolutely horrible. imbalance across the whole shelf, not a specific peak/dip.
You definitely hear something off here.

I mean, even this bothered me to hell.

Let alone this one.

But still looks better than the penonā€¦
And the Sora light 2019 costs like 35 usd msrpā€¦that penon fan 2 280 usd!

3 Likes

When I get my coupler up and going I donā€™t dare measure my ISN and Penon left and right side for comparison. What I donā€™t know wont ruin it :sweat_smile:

But seriously the Penon Globe I had was always louder on left side, both for me and a friend.

5 Likes

The Penon lottery is real (donā€™t say it on head-fi though). Best not to fuck around if you donā€™t wanna find out

7 Likes

Could anyone in here with both the Kai and P1 Max do a comparison of the bass between them? :slightly_smiling_face:

Not to change the subject, but wanted to share some early impressions on the Whizzer HE10. Going to be mentioning the EA500 many times here, so buckle up.

First thing to note is they have a 36Ī© impedance, so they take some more juice to power over the EA500.

Build quality is very nice. Looks and feels great. These are very small, even smaller than the EA500. Nozzle angle is definitely better than the EA500 for me.
They include 3 sets of tips: Wide bore, narrow bore and a pair with a longer end, something along the lines of their ET100 tips.

Sound: My impression is that they do indeed sound very similar to stock EA500 (red filter). Trying to AB, I struggle to find many nuances. Soundstage feels slightly wider on the HE10, but needs more testing to prove. Thatā€™s about it

For the price, the feel and quality of each individual thing you get, Itā€™s a real steal.
The cable looks fantastic, but came with some memory to it. Every end of the cable, from termination, split, to 2-pin connector and chin cinch (which works great!) are made out of metal. If this cable was made with no memory I would 100% buy it separately.

Early conclusion: The Simgot EA500 reigns as the best price to performance IEM, in my humble opinion, and the HE10 is definitely an equally great alternative. It is worth noting that the EA500 costs 80 USD, whilst the HE10 sits at 70 dollars MSRP. Currently itā€™s a toss up between which you prefer visually, if the 10 dollar difference matters to you, or whether you would want to mod the EA500. No real point in getting both though :smile:

9 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting to me - I find the EA500 very musical, but musical in a sense that itā€™s sound is not dry, nor too warm - itā€™s a sound sig that allows you to enjoy the nuances of the music with great separation and an extremely fun almost splashy like quality of the treble/upper mids but thatā€™s how my ears hear them. YMMV

6 Likes

Agreed the EA500 its a fun set and hella of a great value.

Lots of great stuff coming out now the Whizzer looks interesting.

Great time to be in this hobby!

4 Likes

Fostex T40RP mk3. Neutral, non fatiguing tuning. Closed back. 315g. Dongle can drive them to 107dB. They are kind of industrial looking, though. And comfort could be better for longer sessions.

2 Likes

The fostex planars are indeed KING, IF and Only IF you mod it.

2 Likes

I feel like a DD thatā€™s going to do something similar to that and closer to my tastes for me will be the Olina SE, especially when I look at itā€™s graph and itā€™s bass region. :blush:
Speaking of why hasnā€™t anyone experimented with the double filter mod on it yet, or if they had hasnā€™t shared their experience with it?

1 Like

I think that T40RP is a great choice for the price as is. Especially as there is little good closed back choice.