IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

XM5 seems like a mix of the XM3 treble with the XM4 bass. Seem pretty bright and very un-sony-like

1 Like

Just saw Simgot EM6L with a 25% coin discount on the AE mobile app. I won’t buy the IEM because I’m skint but some of you may want to. The seller is DD/Linsoul, so should be fine.

To apply extra coin discount, don’t add an item to cat, just choose “Buy Now.”

9 Likes

I only see 5% with coins, maybe it’s regional?

EDIT: Sorry, has to be found through the coins part of personal dashboard, I see it now.

For me it only applies 1050 coins ($10.50 savings) even though I have more coins than that.

3 Likes

I don’t normally talk about IEM cables but in this case I make an exception.
Thanks for the recommendation of the NiceHCK BlackSoul cable @AmericanSpirit_JP
Got it with 3.5 mm plug for 35€ ( NiceHCK BlackSoul Earphone Cable Silver Plated 5-element Alloy+Rare Earth Alloy Wire 3.5/2.5/4.4mm MMCX/0.78 2Pin for MAKE4 Aria - AliExpress).
It’s an absolute stunner. The look, feel, design and suppleness is top notch. Just ordered another one with 4.4 mm plug. The best thing really is the suppleness. so good.
Disclaimer: I only bought it for the bling. As I’m a firm nonbeliever in the “cables-change-sound” dogma.

Perfect match for the EJ07:

Honor shot on Aphex Twin LP

10 Likes

Awesome choice with the BlackSoul, it’s a fantastic cable that looks stunning :+1:

5 Likes

You avoided death. :joy:

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve developed Butastur with BlackSoul and H570 ear tips as well. This cable has very good potential especially for mid​:smile::+1:

5 Likes

Went treasure hunting today and found something by Flicker Ear from Hong Kong.
I am looking forward to the first impression. The specifications are interesting. Has anyone here already had experience with the manufacturer? Their custom options are also many and varied.

Specification
10mm dynamic (LCP+nanofiber+silk diaphragm+biodiaphragm)
Frequency:5Hz-20KHz
Sensitivity:110dB SPL/mW
DCR: 15 ohm

Flow (1DD) – Flicker Ear (flicker-ear.com)

Translated text:

Flicker Ear has always been known for its high CP value, and was the first to create a thousand-dollar customized headset for beginners to try the CM experience. This time, the male model headphones - Flow, bring high-quality sound to more users, bring higher craftsmanship with craftsmanship, re-improve the shell, and use metal as a conduit to make the sound enter the ear canal for final tuning. The single coil design makes the connection of high, medium and low frequencies smoother, and the 0.78 2Pin pin is changed to make future upgrades more convenient. The earphone case is handmade and is definitely a crystallization of one step at a time.
The inside of the moving coil uses a variety of different diaphragm materials to combine to form a moving coil, first with LCP+ nanofibers to improve hardness and provide a sense of speed, and then with silk added to the secret biodiaphragm, the benefits are good toughness, large dynamics, natural sound. A dynamic unit uses different materials to make the audio field that can be expressed wider, and the rigidity of different materials is integrated, so that the sound expression is complete, and the high, medium and low frequencies have good performance.

9 Likes

BWAHAHAHAHA

Set came up with an 898.00 price and I was about to ask if you’ve lost your mind. Then it translated to US currency and I was like never mind, now this makes sense.

LOL

Good luck that it’s treasure hunting and not dumpster diving!

4 Likes

Any one tried Geek Wold GK100? Really tempted to buy it from hifigo.

Love trying underrated iem.

1 Like

I am with you. I have tried a few, and I still think for IEMs my favorite is the BTR5. You can run it wired or over Bluetooth, and who doesn’t like options. I have an older model, but these are typically around $130.

The best budget deals are the Apple Dongle, at $8, and the 7Hz Sevenhertz 71. The 71 is only $35 and my goto for when I travel, and it uses a fairly recent AKM DAC chip.

The connector formerly known as QDC

I am really curious to see reviews on the Simgot EM6L. I loved the EA500, but thought the EW200 was pretty meh.

4 Likes

Jcally JA3 is hard to beat for dongle convenience.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003618977618.html

(tiny af)

5 Likes

I also have a Stouchi with the cx31993 DAC chip, that I bought before I knew anything, and it sounds pretty good. I think they are two for $15 on Amazon. My wife tends to leave buds and adapters in her laundry, so I always have a couple of these around.

1 Like

I have this and it’s pretty fucking good. Only 8 eurodollars.

2 Likes

Yeah love it. Wish there were more dongles like that.

1 Like

That shell design is super cool - love the holo effect

2 Likes

I have been pondering on something, and since im pretty new to the fieldmi thought i would ask people who have thrown more money and time on iem hobby.

I have seen more and more lesser known manfuctors releasing good products with good driver configurations. Manfuctors like sound rhyme, NickHck and so on have pretty decent sound in their iem. They are not afraid to keep the cost low, and still try to give good quality imo.

I know more drivers doesnt mean better sound, but in my head more drivers have potential to give a better and accurate sound signature. Like they can have DD for low, ba for mid and so on.

What makes a totl iems so unique then? Because why don’t the small manfuctors just buy totl iem, open them up and try to reverse engineer the part that sets totl iem apart.

I am wondering that smaller companies could just copy the ideas that the big guys use?

8 Likes

Sound Rhyme have good tuners. To make a name for themselves they may be issuing their near-TOTL best as loss leaders in order to undercut the competition, gain mind and market share, and build a following.

TOTL dynamic drivers, for example, use rare earth metals to make the best performing diaphragms, coupled with meticulously engineered magnet systems. It’s costly and difficult to source materials.

IEM makers have been trying to reproduce the magic in a shell that is the single balanced armature Etymotic ER4 series for generations now without success. No one knows why it hasn’t been bettered, or even equaled, at what it does.

5 Likes

May I introduce you to my friend Glamdring? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Sure, please do