IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

I’m sure there are some out there, but I’m not really a dongle man (more of a DAP guy), so I wish I could point you in the right direction. Asking around on here, Head-fi or the various headphone subreddits and Discords could probably get you there, as long as you have the specific dongle model in mind.
If anyone has successfully made one, if they aren’t readily available they can probably share the .STL or similar file for free, or will likely make one for you for the cost of fill & shipping.

I’m waiting for this
https://sl.aliexpress.ru/p?key=PmjEZ6z

1 Like

Well, i found something that could do the trick. ordered 2 for myself.
check the link

4 Likes

Just got all the possible nozzle and filter combos of the IMR Ozar up on FR MMagTech that’s 48 combos total if you were ever curious how they differ. Sorry I’m not here for discussion on the ethics or personal opinions on IMR. Just sharing, to my knowledge, what might be one of only few and possibly only databases with all combos. If you care to check it out head on over.

Now after all that nozzle and filter switching my fingers be like:

IMG_2760

Shootout to @GooberBM for the loan and also to the other members of the tour group for all the other additions we got into our community database this go around.

16 Likes

You are truly a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for your efforts! :face_with_monocle:

7 Likes

Back at cha for your trust and the others with your babies

1 Like

I’m using these.

3 Likes

Sharur often doesn’t even test the IEMs - he just mimics the FR graphs LMAO. A full-blown objectivist with some pretty disgusting racist / sexist tendencies to boot.

9 Likes

“Two IEM reviewers shown listening capabilities”: I sit down and be curious

“Shaur and ASR”: me pack up and leave

11 Likes

How do you keep them glued to your phone? tape, or magnets?

Not sure what the pic is showing. Have you an ae link pretty please?

Yeah, I feel like I need to clarify something: I think they are both terrible as far as IEM reviewers. BUT they are the ONLY reviewers who have shown any ability to pass a (difficult) blind auditory test. Ideally, more reviewers should be able to do this!

But, yes, like I said, those above mentioned reviewers are actually terrible as reviewers in many other facets.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I read on ASR or the other forum (SBF something) that Mr. Amir would fail the trained listener test by Harman.

As someone who puts a lot of time and effort into IEM reviews in last couple years, can’t say that I’m not offended by your statement :rofl:

3 Likes

Do we trust anything said on SBAF anymore then random statements made on ASR or YT though lol…
It would be nice if there was some nice easy proof of a persons listening abilities we could all link back at. Unfortunately there isn’t a diploma of listening… even the Harman training isn’t exactly what us consumers really would align with. I don’t much care if a reviewer can make out a specific harmonic at -50db, I tend to just care if a thing sounds great.
I’ve gotten to the point of just disregarding much of the detail and ‘techincal’ aspects of reviews, as it’s just so dang subjective anyway. Heck soundstage alone can be so dependant on your mood and what you’ve just finished listening to before it. Some days I think the SR-L700 has reasonable front / back imaging, other days I think it’s horrible. Sometimes I’m listening to the Clears all day and don’t pay much attention to just how intimate they stage, then cycle and anything sounds absurdly wide after it and I once again realise just how intimate the Clears are as well.

3 Likes

Use this type of plate on your phone,

Then attach magnetic tapes Ion your back of DAC dongles.

So you can attach and remove then at your will. It sticks pretty neatly. You can even pull up phone grabbing DAC.

The MagSafe or similar wireless powerbank is to deal with the battery drain of DAC. As you know apple sucks and they only employs weak batteries to the iphones, I’m already having battery :low_battery: drainage without DAC, so this will save you some peace of mind.

Streaming hi-res lossless sucks lots of battery, so you’d better have one of those powerbanks.

1 Like

Why that golden ears discourse lol

There are objective, describing aspects to sound. What you need to be sure is about your personal preferences. Know what you are getting.

2 Likes

Given the recent comments around trying not to make unverified accusatory statements and keep the forum more positive

Perhaps you are unaware of Amir’s background in the testing space and the MANY published audio based tests that he has provided…

Personally I, also, do not pay much notice to ASR IEM reviews due to being limited in their scope and nature. Whether I like Amir or agree to his brusk nature - I can still respect the huge contribution he has made to the audio hobby. If I was a reviewer I wouldn’t feel insulted about being grouped together and mentioned in the same breath - especially if it’s based on sharing high baseline testing results. Evidence that a reviewer has the capacity to actually hear what they are claiming to experience subjectively can only be something welcome, or at least IMO…

6 Likes

I think I didn’t make myself clear. It was not being grouped with Mr ASR that is “insulting”, it’s the statement that most reviewers do not know to listen, just buying, is what I say “insulting”.

For ASR failing Harman listening test, I can’t quite find the source anymore, so I somewhat wonder if I hallucinated the whole thing. I did see Amir criticising generalisability of Olive’s research result, and given how Dr Olive tends to respond on social media of results opposite to his research, I wouldn’t wonder the latter poking at the former as a “failed listener”. Again, can’t find source besides Amir’s poking at Harman research. I personally don’t read ASR review of transducers of any kind. But I do admire the highly technical work done by some users there like Earfonia.

7 Likes

:+1: - apologies I misunderstood

Could very well be. Dr Sean Olive is a member and contributor at ASR and him and Amir I believe have known each other for quite awhile. He takes a lot of technical/friendly jabs there - and handles it pretty well, better than I would :joy::joy::joy:

Regarding the idea of auditory tests for reviewers I am not sure it would ever work as if applied meritocratically it would skew young and create an entirely different divide. Maybe applying baseline pass/fail ranges for different ages/perhaps even genres would be needed and this all feels like WAY TOO MUCH WORK for a niche low revenue hobby…

Personally - after awhile in the hobby you really don’t need a test result to be able to work out who knows what they are talking about from the way they describe things, their enthusiasm, attention to details, etc even if you don’t agree with everything they say.

4 Likes

Nice discussion wrong thread…please if you don’t want to talk about IEM’s then please post your reviewer thoughts here :+1:

6 Likes

So I got the tws horn tips in and they are doing pretty good. Just got done listening to Chocolate Chip Trip with the Quintets and man… the stage height and the realism made it really feel like I was in front of the drum kit as he was kicking ass… I am still happy with no regrets on this yet!