IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

The tie between Moondrop, Softears and Tanchjim is a bit unknown. They are likely tied somehow but we dont know if they are simply friendly with each other, using same factories, or sister companies.

(alright, added Moondrop and Softears.)

2 Likes

Semkarch

Here’s a name I hadn’t heard for a while!

Whale looks promising :nerd_face:

giphy
BTW SR DTE900 - i read that he competes in the $2000 league :eyes:

2 Likes

I have a feeling Supernova and Aurora would be right up your alley. If slower decaying bass and staging are more your thing Aurora is the answer and it has warmer presentation. If more forward vocals and a less colored sound with snappier bass is what you like Supernova is it.

2 Likes

Don’t know, never owned a 2k set. But one thing is for sure, its very good.
Very resolving while staying on the fun side.
Bass that slams hard and fast, textured and good.
Mids that are on the thicker side, but no graininess or sibilance.
Treble that is detailed and has some air to it, might be best EST implementation I have tried.

My DTE900 is with custom design, not everyone’s taste probably :smiley:

Retuned together with Penon, has much of the Penon 10th DNA. But more open sounding and detailed, a very improved 10th to my ears.

7 Likes

I seriously need to consider this IEM. :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

4 Likes

And this is why I was shaking my head at all the “10th AE is the best IEM Penon has ever put out” tomfoolery. Because it wasn’t. It’s an okay IEM at a competitive price for the configuration.

But it’s not that great at all

9 Likes

I want to give a shoutout to Tony at Audio46 (https://audio46.com/). During my recent trip to NYC for the US Open I stopped by the store to have a look. I don’t have any brick and mortar stores in my city that sell high end headphones and iems so when I saw them on my google search I had to stop. I was able to listen to the Final A8000, D8000, and the Kinera Imperial Baldr (Bladr 2.0). Quick impressions of each. Also only had about 5min with each. Each was under his recommendation as I didn’t have any idea of what to try when I walked in.

A8000: first very high end iems I’ve listened to. These things are insanely engaging. That bery driver is putting in work. They have amazing bass. Were very clear. Also very comfortable. They were a bit hot for me in the 5k range (might be tips) but otherwise I would probably buy them if they weren’t so expensive.

D8000: first very, very, very high end headphones I’ve listened to. Very interesting experience. They are heavy because planar but you don’t really feel it when wearing them. When first putting them on the amount of outside noise I could hear caught me off guard. Made me think that they were like straight through open. But they’re not. The back of the cups are completely sealed from what I can tell. It might’ve been the pads. In terms of sound I think they would work very well with more acoustic music. There is a huge scoop in the mids and the few songs that I played the acoustic stuff sounded the best to me.

Imperial Baldr: I listened to these right after the a8000s so they sounded quite lackluster in comparison. The shells are also massive. I do have to say that the treble is done very well to my ear. The estats don’t seem to have that “sizzle”

7 Likes

I have to agree. Had high hopes since people praised it out the wazoo and I love v-shapes… But I bet I’d prefer the OH10 over the 10AE, especially considering the price difference

2 Likes

Panasonic = Technics
QCY = OEM for many of the cheapo TWS brands
Tangzu = formerly know as TForce, afaik
Moondrop = Truthear = Softears

3 Likes

Thanks.

I dont list renames.

Already listed.

I just got 10th on loan two weeks ago, and happy I didnt buy it myself. I skipped 10th due to horrible design choice, seems to me that most agree. I am one of few it seems who was not super impressed, it was okay and that’s that. But we are all different and like different sets :grinning:

9 Likes

So true…:+1::sunglasses:

4 Likes

I did not know that, strange that QC seems so much better on the Truthear Hola than most of the more expensive Moondrop IEMs I have owned.

Actually the Hola is the first IEM I bought two of that wasn’t tuned by HBB. I have one at work, and one at home, and I still rank it as one of my favorite along with the QKZxHBB.

1 Like

Seems that scammer Bob is at it again…
More long waits, more pre-order non-deliveries and no response from the company past bullshit - no idea how people still defend this or elect to buy & support at this point

Recent pages in these threads are crushing yet amusing to say the least

7 Likes

Not really that surprised tbh…

8 Likes

found this pretty interesting explanation on why ba or ests measure higher on the rig but they are heard less irl, it kinda makes sense because i can never auto eq any of my single dd iems(low resonance frequency) to oracle mk2s amount of treble because they will pierce my brain out immediately but on oracles the treble is so smooth and way less harsh compared to my flat measuring speakers yet they still remain slightly bright. ( my non eqed buds2 pros sound way brighter than them despite measuring less on treble to me fyi)

edit= now that im thinking about it more idk if this can be said about treble though since hes talking about bass leakage here on drivers that have bigger mass diaphragm or the way they react to ear canals etc… and treble usually get a boost if you have bad fit, but even with a good fit the acoustic impedance of different ears may react different to different drivers. so anyone knows better here can correct me if i got it wrong.

2 Likes

You should only buy pre-order anything from places/companies with a positive track record of providing their goods or services.

I would never ever buy (or suggest to buy) an IMR pre-order under any circumstances. If it’s not a finished, physical product you may as well burn the money

4 Likes