IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

Maybe I should start putting effort in finding the best really portable high-end headphones instead of an IEM to look for a more natural reproduction of acoustic ensembles, orchestras, etcetera. But since I’m permanently travelling in developing countries with people sitting on my backpack or throwing with it I thought that wouldn’t be a very clever thing to do. But maybe if they pack really really small and I put them in a bomb-proof case…

drftr

You dont need to EQ it. EQ is only needed if you want a lot of bass like the X6.

2 Likes

But I want the bass! :rofl: Or at least a touch more than normal stock earbuds because I like a little punch regardless of what I’m listening to.

Maybe it’s how the MX500 shells fit my ears, but the X6 gives me enough bass for most genres (hip-hop subass is a bit lacking). Double foams makes X6s bass-cannons in my ears, but fit is only good for a few minutes before they pop out on their own.

If I can’t achieve near enough bass like the X6, it’s not on my radar. :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t either. But it has put it on the map for me. Something I wasn’t interested in is now a top player. My biggest issue is the connector is fixed? I switch between 3.5/2.5 all the time and 4.4 will be thrown in at some point. This is why my cables are dunu (which may also be having issues).

Indeed. I think seeing how the reviewer responds is often more telling than what they say. I am absolutely enamored with the Zen and Timeless. Both of them rip many/most over ears to shreds that I have heard. For me, it’s not close. I am having mmcx issues with the right unit on the timeless, and I am THIS CLOSE to ordering a second one just in case. And I am the guy that will avoid an entire brand because I got one dud. Yeah, it’s overriding my stubbornness. My wife can’t do that. She would love to know the trick. :wink: Apparently, the trick is timeless.

The zen can be shouty (not as bad as timeless, which, frankly I have adjusted to nicely) and they have rolled off treble. I wish they had a bit more bass, but guess what? they take EQ like a champ and I could fix it. They have been taking down headphone after headphone for me. They fell to the hp-2 in pure fun factor. But, sonically, they are honestly still competitive. An IEM can’t slam on 50mm dynamic closed back levels…

I wouldn’t risk it. Plus, you could have a whole group of IEMs with you instead of one headphone like the drop ether cx. I mean, an em5, timeless, 3dt or oxygen, zen or some subset of them seems like it would be amazing traveling companions. Like wow.

1 Like

The connector isn’t, but the cable is. That’s really a pity as I had the same thoughts as Z: Combine it with the FiiO UTWS3. Weighs nothing and gives you ultimate freedom. On the other hand I’be read the cable is really nice and at least it gives you the opportunity to switch to the included 2.5 and 4.4 mm plugs. Really a beautiful system.

drftr

1 Like

I was confusing it with the moondrop which is riku’s top earphone. Yeah, the EM5 is looking good.

Most of these are not on amazon which is often a deal breaker for me. I might jump to the fiio em5 for exactly that reason.

EM5 is not good according to a lot of people I know…

1 Like

Any chance you will get it first hand?

Right now, I am trapped in amazon world. And most of these are not available there. ( think gift cards ) :wink:

No I wont get it.

1. Aint good reported by reputable bud people.

2. LBBS is my (probably) endgame.

3. My budget is needed elsewhere…

3 Likes

Just for my reference: By Eastern or Western ears?

drftr

Who knows. I dont exactly go around asking if they are asian or western.

2 Likes

I had the EM5. Sharp, shrill FiiO highs however clean and resolute…

If you could get a good seal the bass was pretty impactful and airy, but still lacked extension of course.

When EQ’d they become pretty darn good. With acoustic music they shine.

3 Likes

I think that’s as important as knowing what sources, cables, and tips they use.

drftr

Just in case it’s relevant for you: They seem to have 3 pairs left in the .co.uk shop.

drftr

1 Like

I am in the U.S., and I have setup a price tracker on amazon for fiio em5. I will probably grab something like this if they go on sale during black friday insanity. Maybe sooner if I can justify it.

Still on the fence if I want to try oxygen, 3dt or some all-ba/hybrid to answer the BA question. Black friday options may answer that question for me. I am also expecting a mele. And I want to try that first before I make any decisions. No idea when that will arrive.

I also have the new topping dx3 pro+ coming in. Since I haven’t been happy with most more expensive stacks I decided to give topping another whirl. I had the previous dx3 pro and had I known how frustrating the more expensive stuff would make me, I would have kept that one.

Have a look at the single DD Softears Turii.

drftr

2 Likes

Just to point out: Some brands like Fiio don’t allow retailers to mark down their products on sale periods. Price regulation and whatnot. That’s why some retailers like Linsoul will do “20% off storewide” sales… with a small * saying ‘excluding Fiio, Dunu, etc. products’. If there’s a markup, they might lower prices to the regulated price, but not lower.

I understand how price maps work. Even the em5 was $50 off on prime day. If that happens again, it will likely trigger me to buy it. Should amazon have done that? No idea. But they did. (I use price history tools, which is yet another reason I prefer to purchase on amazon, sadly)

The less available stuff (meaning not on amazon or other “big retailers”), I typically just pay attention, and if a deal comes along I might buy. Apparently, the 3dt street price is really $319 most of the time. No need to jump on it.

Haven’t looked at this one. Though it’s entering price to performance category that makes me nervous. Still, crin rates it well. Which is usually a sign that it is at least competent.

Their RS10 and Cerberus seem to be fantastic as well but more expensive. Do you know the brand? If I remember correctly they share R&D with Moondrop with the latter doing the design while the former doing the drivers for both. Something like that and I may have it in the complete wrong order. Still it may unnerve Moondrop owners :wink:

drftr

1 Like