IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

That’s the exact same for Softears though…

drftr

1 Like

The RSV model hasn’t been around longer than the RSV virus, which was identified in the mid 50s.

1 Like

Sorry, was referring to your corona/covid remark. I’m sure we use many pretty stupid words ourselves that mean something completely different in other languages. By the way, RSV = Reference Sound 5, so it’s not even our V but the Roman one.

drftr

3 Likes

That is funny, thanks, I didn’t know the underlying name meaning, or the roman V nugget

The KZ NRA was also an awkward name, so when we keep picking random three letter groups, bad things are bound to happen.

2 Likes

Also the word “Corona” itself is older than that meaning “Crown” in Latin, so there’s that

1 Like

May I know what is the black cable and the tips

The Blon Bl-max has been released, anyone plan on ordering them or have any thoughts on these interesting looking iems? :thinking:

Tanchjim upgrade cable. Nicehck blocc/xinhs version is the same. The splitter is different tho (see image below)

Tips seem sony epx11 but I think he’s still rolling and using UM mest tips (blue heart) atm.

4 Likes

I ordered them two days ago. :wink:

1 Like

Nice! Might have to get me a set too, I don’t mind that podlike design :ok_hand:

Enjoy yours!

1 Like

I am in the apple ecosystem. I would be in trouble if I didn’t like pods. :wink:

1 Like

Is that MK2?

No, same IEM of the photo you asked, EJ07m

2 Likes

I think we have to remember this hobby deals with the reproduction of music. That relys not only on our sense of hearing but our emotional response to what you hear. The graphs are great tools and if you understand them can lead you to iems to try. Teas gets varied response but so does the blessing 2 family. It is like the opinions of wine and paintings. There are few absolutes. We all say get the Mest but how many of us have heard it over extended listening ? I am sure if we all had the chance our opinions would vary.

5 Likes

Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying :grin: .

Talking about charting, any thoughts on how to compare DD bass with BA bass? I often read something like “Yeah, on the chart it looks like a lot of bass, but its BA bass”. The difference between DD bass and BA bass shouldn’t be only audible. I get it DD bass can sound a bit fuller, meatier, slower, perhaps more distorted, and many of us like its sound. But if I’m not mistaken a chart shows simply the amount of bass you get per frequency per fixed volume. So if a 50Hz note is measured on DD then it should measure exactly the same on BA. Then we repeat for 51Hz, etcetera. Is this the way it is done? If so, then we’d never see the effect of the slower DD base that may “clog up” surrounding frequencies. What I mean is that if we listen to music with many notes between 45Hz-55Hz a “fat, distorted, slow” DD note may pollute that whole range a bit, amplifying the neighbouring notes, while the same notes on BA may stay strict at the frequency they are meant to play. So I guess my question is whether these frequencies are measured one by one, or range by range, or all at the same time like with white noise. Anyone? @hawaiibadboy maybe?

drftr

1 Like

I have had the Mest MkII for nearly a month now.

When I first got it, it was very impressive but I was fatigued by detail overload from it. Brain burn in is a real thing and I use it everyday now and no longer find it anywhere as fatiguing. Though I no longer have the ‘oh wow. This is incredible’ feeling anymore. I suppose my brain takes it for granted.

That being said. Still very nice. Still using it daily as my first go to unless I’m tired.

Your point though still stands and I’m sure with enough people, YMMV.

3 Likes

Graphs are very helpful but only if one has experienced various types of sound signatures. I’m not experienced enough to have a “Target”.

The Meat FR looks very different that what everybody seems to like (O2, Dusk, …)

The Mest mkii looks like it has recessed pinna gain on a graph. Doesn’t sound like that to me at all. In fact upper mids/lower treble sound very full to me.

I suspect what @hawaiibadboy thinks may be true - that the bone conduction driver can’t really be measured by the standard measuring equipment and its contribution is missing from the graph.

Not everyone likes O2 and B2/D :wink:. The graphics of MK2 look fantastic!

1 Like