IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

On the driver type discussion:

drftr

1 Like

Hot damn! :drooling_face:

1 Like

Planar hype train coming through choo choo. If they can do a Timeless in the size of an IE900 shell with western QC Iā€™ll board the train again.

This one?

drftr

What do we all think of this? Seems a bit alarmist and over-the-top to me.

This really isnā€™t anything new and has been a concern ever since inears started to get popular, as more and more people get things that go deeper into your ear, it can be a real risk, although if you clean your ears properly once in awhile it shouldnā€™t be a big problem. Same thing with the whole potential hearing loss with higher volumes, if you learn to properly control volume itā€™s a manageable risk

6 Likes

If anyone is actually concerned about this, they should see an ENT doctor and actually get evaluated. I can tell you, as someone who often works in an industrial food-production facility requiring earlplugs for 8+ hours a day, youā€™ll know if itā€™s causing a problem. There is likely a much greater risk of damaging your hearing from excessive volume over long stretches than ā€˜gunking upā€™ your ears just by using IEMs on a frequent basis. Regular flushing of the canals with warm water and the occasional application of Debrox or a similar solution should do the job fine, I would think. Unless you wear them all day AND sleep with them in your ears all night, all week long, I canā€™t see this as more than fear-mongering clickbait.*

• I am not a medical professional; as I said, talk to an ENT if you are seriously concerned about this as a potential issue.
4 Likes

Alright, Iā€™m going to throw this out there.

I thought that the Moondrop Blessing 2 would be my endgame IEM. Itā€™s very good, and itā€™s better than the other IEMs I have tried. However, I feel like thereā€™s still something missing when I compare it to my beloved HD660S headphones, even on the same source gear. In short, the Blessing 2 feels dry and clinical by comparison, and I feel myself wanting more fullness, lushness, and presence.

But maybe what I want doesnā€™t exist at this price point? If I just had to stick with the Blessing 2 I donā€™t think that would be terrible because itā€™s obviously an excellent IEM. But I have this itch to see if thereā€™s something I would like more. I also found the Sundara too clinical and lifeless, for example, and I fear I have the same problem with the Blessing 2.

I also like the HD650 when I want something more relaxed than the 660S. The HD6X0 series is basically my goal sound, and Iā€™d like something ideally for $350 or less.

Right now Iā€™m considering:

• Fiio FD5 ā€“ my main concern here is that itā€™s semi-open and wonā€™t shut out noise as well and the whole point of an IEM for me is that I can walk around with it (at my desk I can just use the 660S).
  • 7hz Timeless ā€“ this gets amazing reviews, but Iā€™m concerned the planer sound here would disappoint me the same way the Sundaraā€™s did
  • O2 ā€“ might do the job since itā€™s a single DD like the HD series. I hate hate hate the angel logo on it, but I suppose thatā€™s minor in the grand scheme of things and I could cover it up.
  • Dunu Falcon Pro
  • Etymotic Research ER4XR ā€“ maybe?

Any other suggestions of what I could try?

IEMs Iā€™ve tried before and thought were inferior to the Blessing 2:

• Mangird Tea
  • Fiio FH5
  • Campfire Honeydew (I did like the impact and warmth of these, but the fit was not great and the bass could be a bit much on some tracks)
  • Ikko OH10
  • Moondrop Aria
  • Blon BL03
4 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that, if there is a 660s-like iem then Iā€™d snap it up in a heart beat. I donā€™t have an answer for you but hoping you find it and please share here if you došŸ™ŒšŸ¼

1 Like

Canā€™t tell exactly whether you want to focus on being as mobile as possible (like you can be with a true wireless IEM) or that you want to be ā€œsomewhatā€ mobile while still focussing on sound quality. If the first is the case then you may want to look into the Sony WF-1000XM4 which sonically is not too far from your headphones, while quality-wise they obviously are. What you do get in return is perfect mobility and (tunable) up to 100% isolation from outisde noise, depending on what kind of noise it is. A scream canā€™t be compensated for but an aircon 20 cms from your head you wonā€™t hear.

drftr

Hi, I donā€™t need a bluetooth IEM (I have a Qudelix 5K). The Blessing 2 are noise-isolating enough for me, Iā€™m just worried a semi-open design wonā€™t be.

Sound quality is the primary concern here.

I think youā€™d be restricted to all BA setups then because of the vents used with dynamic drivers?

drftr

Thatā€™s interesting. The B2 has DDs so I guess it has vents, and itā€™s fine? So maybe what weā€™re finding out is that the semi-open back design wonā€™t actually be a problem?

I canā€™t tell. I know thereā€™s single DD IEMs out there with 7 vents. Canā€™t imagine theyā€™re blocking much!

Iā€™m sure the shape of the shells and the tips youā€™re using are at least as important.

drftr

Letā€™s focus more on the sound quality and less on the noise isolation first.

What do you listen to? Doubt the Timeless would disappoint

Mostly rock and contemporary Jazz. Bands like BadBadNotGood, GoGo Penguin, and Kneebody are right up my alley.

1 Like

The bass on these are awesome. Gives a nice full sound without hampering the clarity of the rest of the spectrum. Those genres sound good to my ears.

1 Like

Disclaimer I am not an expert and I have not heard end game or TOTL stuff, but here is my opinion.

I believe what you are missing there on the Blessing 2 are the mids and mid bass. A lot of the sound from rock and jazz will be in that range. What you may want is a warm sound that doesnā€™t sound too muddy.

I canā€™t comment on those headphones but what you are describing with the term ā€œrelaxedā€ usually means that the upper mids and lower treble are not accentuated too much.

A picture is worth a thousand words (TLDR):

Campfire Honedew that you liked shows this also: more sub-bass, fuller mid bass and relaxed upper mids/lower treble (from 1k to 4k).

What you may like with the B2 and where the others where inferior may have been the technicalities of the IEM such as resolution, details, soundstage and imaging.

Edit: I have the Final E2000 which has a same FR as Falcon Pro and I love itā€™s warmth and soundstage and donā€™t miss the sub-bass unless I listen to some hip-hop.
IMO sub-bass focus is best for hip-hop and pop but not absolutely necessary for other genres.

2 Likes

This is very helpful! So would you recommend the Final E2000 or one of the other E series (E5000 maybe)? Or should I go for the Falcon Pro?