IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

The sundara and this are not all that similar. But, I would love to know what it was about the sundara that you didn’t like. If it’s the “planarness” then, no, timeless is probably a not worth it. If it was the tonality, then, yeah timeless may just blow your mind.

I have the tea in now, and this statement is interesting to me. What is it you liked better on the B2?

I agree on the b2 sounding like it is missing something. (dusk in my case).

Just want to understand your issues more before I throw my thoughts out there.

I talked about this a bit in the Tea forum here. Basically the Tea felt even more lifeless to me than the B2, like I don’t know how to describe it except that it felt like there was a curtain between me and the sound. It was basically the same thing I didn’t like about the Sundara. I hesitate to even describe it this way because it sounds like I’m talking about a ‘veiled’ sound, but the 6XX which is known for sounding ‘veiled’ doesn’t have this problem at all. I can tell that the 6XX doesn’t have the treble presentation of the Sundara and the 660S, it clearly doesn’t. But it feels ‘present’ to me, to have a ‘fullness’ that the Sundara and the Tea don’t and I don’t know how else to describe it. This mids and mid bass missing thing that Cameleon is talking about may be it exactly, it’s certainly the first idea I’ve seen that might explain what I’m hearing.

This looks like a problematic issue to advise on. What I can say, is the timeless has a fuller and more “complete” sound than most things. In content, resolution and tonality.

But with you differentiating between blessing 2 and teas in this manner, I really struggle with understanding the problem. So, I think I would need more.

As in “palpable”? Like a sense of full-bodied singers, a 3D experience, with texture or “meat” if you wish?

drftr

That might be a way to describe it? But it’s not just detail—like the Blessing 2 has plenty of detail.

Since I have a Qudelix maybe the first thing I’ll do is try boosting the lower mids and mid bass in the EQ and see if that does anything, to test @Cameleon30 ’s theory.

1 Like

4 Likes

QOA Affinity single DD IEM: QOA Affinity 10mm PEN Titanium Plated Diaphragm Dynamic Driver In Ear — HiFiGo

A cheap (by qdc standarts) single DD from qdc: QDC Dmagic Solo Single Dynamic Driver In-Ear Monitors — HiFiGo

3 Likes

My eyes are on that qdc. But i need to see a graph first :stuck_out_tongue:

I have very much the same interest. Never heard the B2s or actually any of the Senn 6’s but i ADORED the Focal Elexs for that very reason. Singers and vocals sounded alive, like you were at a really really well set up venue with a great engineer at the console. Neutrality be damned.

The Elex’s had comfort issues for me so I had to move on, but i’ve been searching for that sound in IEMs for sometime.

I’ll say some things like the Fiio FD3 or Dunu Zen are in that lane, but maybe not to the same extent, or the same refinement that the focal had. I’m taking a swing at the FD7 right now to continue to look for that sound.

But suffice to say I 100% feel your struggle on finding that in IEMs.

1 Like

Let me know if the FD7 does the trick for sure!

1 Like

Will do, i’ve only had them a day or two but so far it’s been very promising. Stuff like Dogleg, Carla Bruni’s Moon River, and Lightning bug really soar on these. The detail retrieval is more than good enough, but much more important to me the tonality seems to favor the vocal range, and the timbre is smooth and has a lushness that gives voices that “roundness” or smoothness.

Worth noting im using a Matrix Mini i 3, which has a higher output impedance, so that may be a factor here ¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 Likes

If you have the chance try what happens if you switch to low impedance. I know the FD7 has an average 50 Ohm impedance, but if that’s not even across the whole range then those areas will be influenced with a high impedance source. Please sure should you be able to test this as the FD7 is within the last 3 on my shortlist :wink:

drftr

Only other source gear i got is the Lightning port dongle, the 3.5mm out on the front of my Cambridge CXA81, and a Cavalli Tube Hybrid, but sure, i’ll give em a go.

1 Like

Seems like the extra output impedance might be adding a breath of extra oomph to the lower/mid bass, but really not a lot. Vocals/mids seem the same between them.

1 Like

Appreciated!

drftr

EQ doesn’t always work…
What you can do is buy cheaper IEMs with different sound signature to find of it answers some of your questions.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea!

1 Like

Hi, I think what you’re enamored by is the dynamic range of dynamic transducers.

Drivers that can convey larger dynamic swings will portray a an almost violent, spatially present & tangible sense of the music.

Only DDs can properly provide that bodily aspect of sound.

The Zen Pro may be of interest though it is pricey. ($899)
Sennheiser IE900 & SoftEars Turii for kilobuck+.

Have a look at the UM 3DT too ($330-400)

4 Likes

Before the 3DT, you can try the KZ DQ6 for $25. I’m waiting for mine atm, they passed custom on the 14th. :tada::sob:
3 DD may be the answer, however the tuning may have too much treble.

The Senn has def a more relaxed tuning. I’ve found the Finschi which has a similar tuning as IE900 for much cheaper. I don’t know if it’s good though.

1 Like