IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

Beautiful shell

2 Likes

dunno how long itā€™s been with S08, would be a perfect IEM if not for the fit not being great on me

if it fit well, Iā€™d honestly sell a lot of other sets

1 Like

I was feeling adventurous, so I picked up the Dunu Da Vinci. They should be here tomorrow. Iā€™m pretty excited about this one, I think this set will be a great compliment to the 2 I currently have.

4 Likes

If only Project M wasnā€™t sibilant to me, Iā€™d actually buy this for my friend

1 Like

Some of my humble and quick impressions, if youā€™re interested:

1 Like

Nice to hear some more about those, they really flew under the radar at releaseā€¦ seemed like very little chat about them.

1 Like

same picture basically lol, enjoying these a ton, I was worried itā€™d be more veiled compared to S08 but these have been good so far

4 Likes

NICE! Honestly one of my favorite sets. Not that theyā€™re the most technically capable but they are capable of enjoyable long-term listening across the genre collective in my library anyway.

They work really well for me on the Hiby R4, theyā€™re my go to set for that DAP. Also quite nice on the dx180. I havenā€™t tried them on my M300.

1 Like

I only got an M300 for mobile and a schiit stack for desktop lol

Iā€™m absolutely loving them, theyā€™re incredibly relaxing sound wise and just an enjoyable time. Fit Iā€™m getting to make friends with, then again Iā€™m just forcing default tips lol

edit: Iā€™m pretty sure explorer graph wise has a bit more midbass but the way S08ā€™s planar bass hit is just so satisfying to me as well, I gotta find tips to make it fit perfect on me

I know itā€™s not supposed to be that technical but I think Iā€™ve found the lowest I enjoy treble wise, this is great

2 Likes

If anyone has Cadenza 4 and a mic, could you try to graph it with shallow insertion??
Iā€™m using wide bore and short tips like the Whizzer SS20.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Whatā€™re you hoping to learn? Shallow insertion will primarily affect the treble, and in a way thatā€™s highly dependent on the shape of your ear canal, and where couplers are already unreliable. What we can glean from measurements has serious limitations, as much as we wish it werenā€™t so.

1 Like

For sure, I know that graphs are not the whole story.

I just find the treble better balanced with shallow insertion and was curious to see what it may look like on a coupler. I know that my ear anatomy will be different than the couplerā€¦

As a side note, Z300 and QKZ xHBB graphs almost identical but the Z300 sounds warmer and has weird treble peaks somewhere but the QKZ is fine.

Just shift the graph a bit to the left and thats usually how a shallower insertion would graph.

1 Like

Hey guys. The Da Vinci is here. I want to try them, obviously, but there is a problem. The nozzles on these things are pretty big, and the tips wonā€™t fit over them. Iā€™m not sure what to do!

Anyone have this issue before? If so, what did you do? Iā€™m thinking I might have to stretch the tip somehowā€¦

What tips are you using, brother? You shouldnā€™t have any issues getting the tips on if you try to angle the tip against the side of the nozzle opening. I also sometimes try to invert the flange on the tip to better line up the stem on the tip.

3 Likes

This def helps with some nozzles and also for the OCD tip roller (like me) that wants to seat the stem of the ear tip at a precise depth. Sometimes I feel like I was a jeweler in former lifeā€¦ :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

On mine I went with tips that were specā€™d for 4.5-5.5mm nozzle. CP145s I think Iā€™m using on that set. I was able to fit some of the standard nozzle width (3.5mm) tips doing like what @domq422 suggested by flipping the flange back and then angling the tip against the nozzle.

2 Likes

OK, I got them on! I ended up stretching them across a pair of scissors for about an hour. I am using what they call the Candy tips. I got a set of those, a set of S&S tips and some foams. My instincts were correct, the Candy tips are fitting well. So we are in business! :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I need to look into these tips. I donā€™t know much about IEMs yet, but the nozzles on the DaVinci are noticeably bigger than the nozzles on the other two sets I have. In fact, Iā€™m not sure why they didnā€™t include something like that in the box. Oh well, perhaps my technique will improve over time.

@RBRIII @domq422 Thanks guys for the ā€œtipsā€ (see what I did there? :rofl: ) I reckon I need to practice a little. Main thing is, I got a set on and we are rockin and rollin. Oh boy, are we. First impressions are extremely good. The cable came with 2 options for amp connection. I am using the 4.4MM right now into the SA-1, the only amp in my system that has such a connection. Wow. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I got these IEMs I wonā€™t name because they get a bad rap for good reason but Iā€™ll be honest they sound pretty nice, Iā€™ll give it a wide berth but I am liking em, not too bad for how cheap I grabbed em for

I will say, the reason I bought the IEM for was a certain driver that I already own an IEM for, I think that one might be doing a better job but like I said, weā€™ll give this one some time

1 Like