IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

We’ll see, now that you know what the air at Summit-Fi really smells like :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Storm is going to live mortgage-free in your head (because it’s more expensive than rent, you see)

2 Likes

I think around 1k USD is the sweet spot for a iem purchase. I don’t blame companies for making an iem that expensive, but I feel after a point you are paying for an experience rather than actual value.

2 Likes

Confounding. Creative’s Aurvana Ace 2 has boomy bass that’s not particularly resolving like other wireless sets I’ve encountered (even after updating + flat eq), but when you get something going that doesn’t token too much bass and highlights the treble I’m really taken aback. That uncanny feel I get when objects drop and clink in Yosi Horikawa recordings that I mainly get with the AMT16 kind of show themselves off here in the weirdest way, and I don’t know what to make of it, because once things get busy on most tracks, I’m back to feeling “meh” about the whole listening experience (vs my wired sets.)

I don’t have much experience with ANC, but it’s really excellent in my opinion. Fan noise almost vanishes where taking the buds in and out of my ear gets pretty trippy. First time using touch controls with the stems, and I don’t particularly like it (currently haphazardly tapping the whole bud just to register a “touch”.) EQ is really wonky, it’s just making a bunch of peak filters (plus the bass and treble shelves) on a touchscreen which isn’t very intuitive.

For its form-factor and the sound quality that’s produced, I can highly recommend for most casual listeners. I can’t really ballpark where this IEM sits compared to wired sets, it’s a decent TWS with a crazy treble party-trick.

I’m gifting these to a relative and will very much wait until we get a Cypress/full-range implementation or multi-XMEM set that covers all frequency ranges.

2 Likes

one trick pony with the Xmems tweeter I guess.

Have seen (non-audiophiles) call it basy but this graph really does not seem that way.

Does look warm though since the shelf starts very early.

2 Likes

I’m highlighting more of the quality of it rather than the quantity at least for my observations. Warm would be an apt description for it. Out of the box it was very bassy and a touch dark, but once you install their app and run the update, the EQ reverts to a flat setting which sounds more normal. I’d be in the process of dialing the EQ in more, but I think I’m just going to gift them instead.

1 Like

Can you show a picture of the EQ options in the app?

Screenshots

1 Like

Would xMems ever stop being xMemes and be able to be exclusively powered by amps that aren’t $2K+.

If it can be on a TWS I don’t see why not.

I’m no engineer, but I’m pretty sure that they work in a TWS package because you can build the DC voltage bias into the TWS itself. That’s not something you can just daisy-chain into a normal setup without engineering it that way from the outset (like the Diablo X) AFAIK.
EDIT: I think true electrostats are the same, but no one built them into a TWS because they’re too expensive/niche and the battery life would probably be abysmal in that form-factor.

1 Like

I wonder if you can just condense that into a dongle.

Should probably mention, if anything, they would probably be the best set for the ASMR folks lol. Forgot to include that have a good stage size and decent imaging.

For example, in the intro of this, the scraper sounds really lifelike and you get this really nice sense of separation, but once the bass comes in I’m :person_shrugging: .

1 Like

the Cowell model does not need any special amp for it. (used in the creative aurvana ace/ace-2 and I believe that Nobel iem as well).

I was listening to something on the KZ Castor Black and then switched to the Zero2. Don’t do that. The Zero2 is on the edge of not having enough bass for me, but it doesn’t compare well after 40 minutes with satisfying bass going in my earholes from the Castor.

4 Likes

I wanted to give a shoutout to the man himself, @Ohmboy - thank you so much for sending over so many tips completely for free.

You’re the absolute man and I can’t tell you guys how incredible this community is. Besides my family, all of you guys really do make the holidays feel special. So much generosity and care. It’s truly awe inspiring. Thanks for having me, gents :handshake:

17 Likes

You’re very welcome and happy Christmas :santa:t2::christmas_tree::beers: buddy…god dang that was quick getting there too, posted on the 12/12 UK and you’ve got them already :raised_hands: to the postal services for once :+1:

8 Likes

I think Elizabeth stamps get priority over Charles stamps :rofl:

GSTQ

7 Likes

Aye didn’t notice that till you pointed it out :smile:

2 Likes

This dude needs to stop doing IEM reviews and just focus on headphones. His measurements are inaccurate and he talks nonsense accordingly. :smile:

5 Likes

reviewer aside the qc of thie audio is questionable.
When they charge a pc or iPhones money for a goddamn earphone then the qc should be perfection, not like this.

all mk2s, look at the bass shelf.

All oracle mk1s, look like different iems. the bass shelf or the treble extension varies alot.

Mk3 with less bass and darker treble than mk2?

You might say its coupler variance, but the differences in graphs look more exaggerated on thie audios iems compared to other manufacturers.

7 Likes