IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

Anybody have the Hype 4 yet?

Honestly I really love the Holocene - I got a great price on a used one from the Campfire marketplace (normal used price plus 20% off plus 10% off) and I feel like I got a great value

1 Like

hi, how fiio fx15 vs fh9 or holocene? fx15 what is tone and sound quality? does it good without EQ to listen?

Between Holocene and Fh9:

The Holocene has a better timbre for me. His naturalness seems better to me.
The Fh9 has more bass impact, the only thing. The holocene gives less impact but I perceive more general resolution, a more stage and better instrumental separation.
Add that the Holocene requires amplification. It has very low impedance and will sound with everything but it will not sound properly.
The fh9 requires a little more energy at first but it doesn’t scale as much.
Honestly I expected more from Fh9. It is a good package since it has many things and a good cable but sonically it is below the €600 they ask for.

The Fx15 has not coincided in time to make an A/B comparison.

1 Like

thank you. do you compared holocene vs ara/?let me know how tuned FX15 and does it sounds for 700eur they sells.

Thanks for the help all :slight_smile: And great taste pylaczynski!

I think I will actually take your advice and save up for a more expensive pair. I just started EQing my Canons to different profiles based on the recommendations above, and have had some reasonable success so far. Like a profile based on the RSVs for more vocal-forward songs for example - I’m sure it’s not a patch on the real thing, but being able to switch to that profile at a touch of a button is preferable to me over spending a few hundred pounds on a hardware side-grade with different tuning.

Appreciate the help everyone - really helpful community! Merry Christmas all

7 Likes

Hrmm, I’ve used the Holocene with just the Apple dongle and it sounds fine to me. I’ve also used it with the Qudelix 5K but don’t see a significant difference in sound quality.

Try connecting it to a phone and then to the decent DAC dongle. For me the sound changes for me.
more than the fh9 for example.

Considering the very low impedance of the Holo at 5.4ohm and it being all BA (likely to have uneven imp curve), the output impedance difference on the Apple dongle (around 0.3ohm) compared to the 5k at around 1.1-1.3ohm) there should be a minor difference in the FR due to that.

The “problem” is that Holocene has 94 dB

It is not a problem at all since that “94” db is not at 1vrms nor 1mw which is the standard way of measuring sensitivity (db/mw or db/v).

its specified at 6.99mVrms.

So if you converted that to the standard db/mw or db/v, the sensitivity is actually a lot higher than the stated 94db.

1 Like

Why did they use 6.99. That’s so random

Yeah…CA and their memes lol.

I don’t understand that very well.
One question, then why does the FH9 require a little more energy (amplifier wheel) than the Holocene?
but, nevertheless, the fh9 connected to a mobile barely loses performance compared to what it gives if you connect it to a dac or amp dongle.

This is coming from the fact that 94dB SPL = 1 Pa in SI unit. This “reversed” for us iem lovers way of representation of sensitivity is actually the norm for how microphones sensitivity is presented in their spec sheets - this 6,99mVRMS would be the voltage that is induced on the output of the microphone with 94dB SPL sound coming in in analogous situation for mic.

If you calculate back from CA datasheet it should be around 114dB/mW, which would be quite high

5 Likes

It is not a black/white situation where “higher volume wheel setting = more energy”, the amp does not output the same power if the transducer have a different impedance.

1 Like

It’s close enough to the end of the year, I’m ready to declare my top IEM of 2023.

This mystery set that were DEFINITELY released 2023 take the prize for timbre, fun, organic naturalness, cohesion, and splendor. Over anything else I’ve heard this year.

Finally had the right lighting for a good photo of them.

24 Likes

You’re funny :no_good_man:t5:

3 Likes

I got my Cinno today, and I am really enjoying them. The flat pinna thing works really well for classic rock, since the guitars pop right along with the vocals. The treble extension is a bit more than I am used to and the details really stand out, but I never felt like the treble was harsh.

They are a great contrast from the more typical Harmon tunings. I tend to enjoy darker tonality, and am an admitted basshead, making my enjoyment of these even more impressive. I am looking forward to seeing what Ziigaat does going forward. Sadly the Jupiter is out of my price range, but I will keep an eye on them.

6 Likes

Awesome stuff, I’m so glad you’re enjoying them, brother. My pair should hopefully be here next week :handshake:

3 Likes