IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

I chose Craft Ears as my go-to CIEM provider, mostly due to the fact that I could visit them, see their work, try a variety of their models - this gave me confidence that I can trust those guys and let them make something as personal as CIEMs.
They are okay with reshelling many third-party models, too. And it’s quite affordable compared to what different companies offer.

Actually, they have a planar based IEM in their catalogue - The One.

I can’t really agree with some of the reviews stating that it’s a bright set, since I’d mostly think of it as a mature V-shaped earphone with a marvelous soundstage. The bass is there and it’s a powerful one. Slightly thin mids were not to my liking.

Either way, I recommend CIEMs to almost everyone I talk with. In my experience, no ANC can compete with them. And you can forget about fiddling with tips, trying to get a perfect seal, etc.
It’s a very relieving thing.

4 Likes

Thanks - will take a look and being in Europe is even better.
Which model did you choose? and have you tried “The One”?

The biggest problem is that there is close to no resell value in CIEM and you cannot know for certain up until the last moment how it would work for you in the end. Or do they allow for some reshellings corrections free of charge?

2 Likes

No prob!
I got to know them only by chance, too. The audiologist that made my first earmolds used to collaborate with them and she recommended visiting their office.

Yes, I gave The One a spin - and just like I said: they’re definitely energetic, with great fun factor.

My history with Craft Ears began over two years ago: in Nov 21’ I opted for Argentum.
And to this day they’ve been my daily beaters used whenever I’m outside - leisure walks, commuting, etc.

Recently I indulged myself with their TOTL - Omnium. Should get it in a few weeks time…

Yep, you lose plenty if you ever decide to sell CIEMs and that’s the hard truth. They can be refitted for you, sure, but still…

If something doesn’t work out of the box and you don’t feel comfortable - minor corrections are free. They take time, but I wasn’t charged anything extra for a slight re-do.

2 Likes

Wow, custom or Uni? 2500Eur - that is really a commitment for something that widely unknown knowing all TOTLs existing in this price range :moneybag:

3 Likes

Customs. Universals were quite tricky to fit - no surprises here.

Well, not really €2500 - I made use of their BF sale and traded back Aurums, so in the end it didn’t hurt so bad.

2 Likes

The other caveat people overlook about CIEMs: Your ear anatomy changes, from the day you get your molds done. It’s like eye tests; your prescription probably doesn’t change too much from year to year, but looking back 5-10 years, there’s probably a bigger difference.

If you want the ideal fit and best sound, you’d have to periodically get remolded and reshelled.

6 Likes
1 Like

Why do most American companies make poorly fitting IEMs? :grinning: :frog:

I think the T10 is just a good warm planar, nothing special, but for its price nothing bad is decent. The build does feel like your buddy 3D printed it for you.

The $100 IEM/HP/speaker rant makes sense to me. I feel like earbuds deliver even more sound fidelity per $ than IEM, but do have different limitations.

2 Likes

If you want to like earbuds but fit has been a primary deterrent, I’d highly encourage getting a hold of @Rikudou_Goku’s Gen 3 buds. They are simply the easiest fitting earbud I’ve tried. If they can’t work for someone, nothing at all will!

Plus the AR3 and GAS3 I’ve gotten to hear sound fantastic!

5 Likes

A fun vid I did heh:

If anyone would like to be featured in the next video please pm your setup pictures!

Happy 2024~

13 Likes

So pumped for this! Just have middle school robotics before the end of the day.

4 Likes

Just got the TIMSOK TS-316, two day delivery from @MusicTeck to Norway is impressive.

One word to describe the sound: Musical

I know its a almost cliché word to use, but its just what TS-316 is for me.

I don’t have my Simgot EA1000 here now, but from memory this seem as technical but better tuned for my taste.
Warmer and less aggressive sounding, but still plenty of energy to sound excellent with speedy metal or other fast genres.
And a warm natural timbre that is wonderful with acoustic music like jazz.
Wonderful midrange, love how nuanced and emotional voices are.

16 Likes

I have a feeling I’d really like this set, especially with what you (in particular, as I feel like I have a decent idea of your preferences now) have just mentioned about it.

4 Likes

I took an inventory of all my stuff last night and since I had it out I decided to re-listen to a few sets I hadn’t recently and realized how much my preferences have changed. Below are quick impressions

The list is in order of preferences:

Aür Audio Ascension (middle row/middle column): My latest IEM and as such the one I am listening to the most. Still in the honeymoon phase but it has the best sound quality out of everything in my collection. The big nozzle required a lot of tip rolling and it took a while for my brain to adjust to it but after listening to the rest of my collection last night I kept coming back to this one. It reminds me a lot of the Prestige LTD but warmer with better bass impact and texture at the cost of clarity and resolution.

Aür Audio Aure (top row/middle column): My favorite IEM in my collection. Discontinued so ain’t no way I am parting with it. It has the best vocals out of any IEM I have tried, toppling big hitters like the EJ07m, RSV and Thieaudios lineup to name a few. Clarity is above the Ascension but that is mostly due to the dip in lower mids so note weight can be a bit thin and not as warm as the Ascension and others in my collection. Sub bass is surprisingly great for a small 8mm DD. Its not gonna wow bassheads in quantity but quality is top notch.

MB Glamdring (top row/left column): This one was tuned for me by the one and only Michael Bruce. Big planar bass that goes all the way into the lower mids yet vocals still pop and there isn’t an ounce of clarity lost. Honestly, if I had to pick one that had the best overall tuning it would be this set. The only reason the other two are ahead is because I just prefer DD bass to planar bass. There is an organic nature to the other two sets that is somewhat missing on this one.

P1 Max (bottom row/left column): My gym set although the P1 Max is worthy of desktop listening sessions too. This is my midcentric set and it absolutely kills it. Midbass hits quick and dirty, there is great note weight and things stay out of the mud. This set is a killer for ~$100 even to this day imo. My only real grip is things can get a little sharp up top (nothing a filter can’t fix) and the first isn’t the best for me.

Serratus and Rikubuds (Right column): All my buds have different uses and they all sound great although the PAC buds are a step below the Rikubuds and Serratus. My biggest issue is fit (Riku Gen 3 fixes that), isolation and bass. For my musical taste I rarely find myself reaching for buds. I use the Rikubuds for immersive gaming though and they are money.

Rosefinch (middle row/left column): These are great budget bass IEMs although I kind of destructively modded them so they are now more of my test bed for mods. I am no longer looking at budget sets so I never picked up another.

16 Likes

Awesome post - love it :dizzy:

Also, in other news, I was just scrolling through headlines, and we’ve hit the big time boys! (haha, I just squeaked in before the rush).

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/best-wired-earbuds

lol, none of those pesky two pin cables :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Welcome to HFGF :grinning:. BTW Ascension looks like an impressive IEM, but I’m disappointed to hear that it loses out in the resolution department.

1 Like

Lol welcome to you too!

I wouldn’t say they lose out in resolution. They are plenty resolving, just not as resolving as the LTD.

6 Likes

Well, seen much worse lists from mainstream sites :joy:.

1 Like