IEM discussion thread (Part 2)

Who is interested! :milky_way:

3 Likes

Guys whats the verdict on the kiwiears Forteza?

Skip if you dont mod it, awesome if you do but is a niche recommendation.

2 Likes

I got one, hoping for a fun set but was too fun for my taste. I think you can skip it unless you want a murdioys amount of treble.

1 Like

:sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

Noice *****

My opinion / review of the Hidizs MS3

Built to last
Pros:

1. Superb build Quality
  2. Lively playback
  3. Fantastic cable
  4. Attractive design
  5. Fit
  6. Price ( $120)

Cons:

1. Too spicey for some
  2. Pouch instead of case
  3. Unadventurous sound signature

I’d just like to say upfront I believe we are all biased when giving our subjective thoughts about IEMs be it a particular type of signature that works with our music library or how an IEM looks and feels in our ears. On the subject of ears everyone’s ear anatomy is different and this effects fit and seal which in turn effects the perception of bass response so I recommend finding the right ear tips that suit your ears to get the best of any IEM. I would like to thank HIDIZS for the review sample of the MS3. They didn’t ask for any input to my opinion on them and will be seeing this review at the same time as you.

When I started out on this crazy journey into the audiophile world I bought the Hidizs MS4 my first “quality” iem I loved it so much I bought it twice, my step son still uses it today plugged into a Fiio btr5.When I was contacted over X(twitter) and asked if I wanted to give the MS3 a try, I jumped at the opportunity.I’m not a follower of graphs and technical jargon so I leave that to the manufacturer

Dual Magnetic Circuits Dual Cavities Dynamic DriverHIDIZS MS3 HiFi In-Ear Monitors Earphone uses a 10.2mm dynamic driver with dual magnetic circuits and dual cavities independently developed by Hidizs, and its diaphragm is a bio-nanofiber composite diaphragm. The dual magnetic circuits and dual cavities composite diaphragm dynamic driver has higher magnetic induction than the ordinary dynamic driver. Under the action of higher magnetic induction, the diaphragm can obtain additional acoustic energy, thereby improving the transient performance of the dynamic driver and higher energy conversion efficiency. Dual magnetic circuits make the work of the diaphragm more stable. The dual cavities are based on the design of the dual magnetic circuits to form two relatively independent cavities, which brings many advantages such as strong and flexible low-frequency dive, clearer and purer image of the human voice and intermediate frequency. Dual magnetic circuits and dual cavities complement each other like light and shadow, bringing a pleasant acoustic experience.

Features:

10.2mm Dual Magnetic Circuit Dual Cavity Dynamic Driver

• Knowles SWFK-31736 Composite Balanced Armature Driver

• Aviation Aluminum Alloy Integral Molding Shell

Three Hidizs Pneumatic Tuning Filters

• Oxygen-free Copper Multi-conductor Cable with 192 Ultra-small Wires
  • Highly Approaching the H-2019 Target Curve, and HIDIZS Art Styles
  • “Shark Fin” 0.78mm/2PIN Cable Plug
  • Hidizs Customized Storage Bag

What’s in the box? A beautifully designed iem with superb build quality with 3 tuning filters (I used the Red bass filter as the others were too bright and shouty for my tastes) plus a really nice 2pin cable available in 3.5mm SE or 4.4mm balanced termination. Unfortunately there’s no case just a synthetic leather pouch a trend I’m not very keen on, I much prefer the rigid cases that give better protection to my valuable iems.

The MS3 2BA+1DD is placed in a very saturated price bracket with strong contenders from single DD and Planar iem’s making it difficult to stand out. The MS3 sounds good with a solid bass foundation with forward upper mids and lower treble. Is it a stand out sound signature? No, but its a terrific all round signature that works really we with Pop, Rock and edm. what sets it appart from all the other pretenders is its design language, superb build quality, fit and very nice cable.

Available to buy on the Hiizs webshop

I listened with my collection of DAPs and Dongles

Hidizs AP80 ProX
Shanling M3X
Hiby R6 111
Hiby R8
Sony ZX507
Shanling H2
Fiio M15
Cayin Ru6
Hidizs DH80S

I didn’t notice any real change in the sound quality with the different sources other than a little warmth from the Sony and Shanling. This is good news as I would say the combination of MS3 and AP 80proX makes a very compelling everyday carry.
The bass while not bass head is satisfying with decent thump and texture reasonable sub-bass extension not reaching the lowest notes.
Mids are slightly recessed, not thin or warm just smooth. Vocals are well presented perhaps lacking a little detail but fine for pop music overall they give a pleasant playback to most genres.
The area which could be an issue for some are the spicey upper mids and lower treble, I personally enjoy a little spice in the area to give a bit of bite to guitars.

Tonality
They have a pleasant slightly warm tone with slightly bright top end

ClarityOne of the high points of this set is the way they present the music with with unveiled clarity not a usual attribute at this price point.

Soundstage
Not one of the widest iems I’ve heard in the price range but its adequate for the price point

Separation
I was able to follow instruments in most songs without it becoming congested or confused so again decent

Some of the music listened to

Lorde - Royals

Queen - Another one bites the dust

Delta Saints - Some times I worry

Thin Lizzy - Dancing in the moonlight

Adele - Hello

Dire Straits - Private investigations

Lady Blackbird - Black acid soul

Ed Sheeran - Make it rain

Santana - Stormy

Steely Dan - Black cow

I was neither disappointed or excited by the playback it was just nice. I did find there was a hint of ba timbre at higher volumes but at safe listening volumes it was not a problem.I could wear them for hours with no discomfort or fatigue and never felt the need to turn them down or give my ears a rest. It may appear that I’m not impressed by the MS3 but that’s not the case I found that as a companion on walks and traveling on public transport with the Hidizs AP80 ProX they were the perfect pocketable solution,
Infinitely better than the multitude of TWS on the market. They’re not built for critical listening just enjoying some tunes especially on the move.For the money asked I think they are worth a listen especially if you want iems built to stand up to day to day rigours of life on the move while looking stylish and sounding pretty darn good especially for Harman fans.

10 Likes

Nifty little device

7 Likes

BT receiver with shuffle playback from local storage is a slam dunk!

6 Likes

A&K x Vision Ears…

https://www.astellnkern.com/product/product_detail.jsp?productNo=147

Is the Pula 01 worth getting?

1 Like

A question for all: If you had to choose an iem for mostly ambient, atmospheric music what would your choices be under the $300 price bracket?

1 Like

5 Likes

This is not possible. This is sabotage… :thinking:

1 Like

LOL wow that’s even worse than mine :rofl:
( I dropped it. On carpet. From hip height :expressionless:

1 Like

The Oriveti just keeps on getting better here with a superb synergy cable from IvipQ silver plated occ + Graphene cable that is only £15

9 Likes

IvipQ cables tend to be underrated. Even if one doesn’t follow the whole “cable sound” cult, they provide great hardware for the price.

3 Likes

thats painful. 300$ down the drain
didn’t know the audio might get all messed up after drops. drop the other one too and you have a free 2k$ maestero se.

3 Likes

So I have both the qudelix and ifi gryphon and something weird I noticed with the gryphon is that even though it has like 4 times the power on the qudelix I need to listen to it at a “higher” volume than the Q5k. For the same iem I would be at 81/106 on the gryphon whereas the qudelix is less than half. I wonder if the way the volume knob scales on each device differs :thinking: