IEM discussion thread (Part 1)

What amp are you using? Check the output impedance on it.

1 Like

Excellent review.

1 Like

I know, it depends on the source.

The ZEX/other KZ/CCA IEMs are specified at 24-25 Ohm input impedance and ASR has measured my amp at 2.1 Ohm. So there souldn’t be an issue.

I looked into the whole topic and it isn’t as easy as output impedance x 8 < input impedance, but I forgot the details to be honest. It is related to the very high sensitivity of the KZ/CCA IEMs though.

Different sources definitely have an impact on the volume of the static noise with those IEMs however (on after a while I even get used to the noise, depending on the source).

1 Like

Do you hear a hiss with some IEMs? I have that problem with my ifi Zen DAC v1: I hear a hiss on the Mele and Aladdin, while almost nothing from KZ ZEX Pro and Oxygen, and nothing from VR3000 and my Sundara.

I’m going to write to ifi customer service and see if they have an answer. Output impedance is < 1 Ω. I hear no hiss whatsoever from my Qudelix-5k.

Edit: @sebastien_chiu_iFi, any thoughts on the cause of the hiss in some of my IEMs? I’ve provided specs below.

Tripowin Mele: impedance / sensitivity: 16 Ω / 109 dB. Hiss heard through SE and BAL. @PopinTeddy has the Zen DAC v2 and doesn’t hear a hiss with his Mele.
Yinyan Aladdin: 10 Ω / 108 dB. Hiss heard through SE and BAL.

KZ ZEX Pro: 25 Ω / 103 dB. No hiss through SE.
Final Audio VR3000: 18 Ω / 101 dB. No hiss through SE.
Tanchjim Oxygen: 32 Ω / 110 dB. No hiss

or just ask @sebastien_chiu_iFi :+1:

2 Likes

Yep, I hear hiss with KZ ZEX and CCA C12. I also hear (less) hiss with FiiO FH9. I don’t hear hiss from 7hz timeless, MD Aria, B2 or VR3000.

As I said: It also depends on the source.

Aladdin: 108db/10ohm
Mele: 109db/16ohm
ZEX: 103db/25ohm
ZEX Pro: 104db/25ohm
Oxygen: 110db/32ohm
VR3000: 101db/18ohm
Blessing 2: 117db/22ohm
Timeless: 104db/14.8ohm

You see, it’s not straightforward. The ZEX has more impedance than the Blessing 2 and is even less sensitive (both factors making it seem the ZEX is harder to drive), but for the Blessing 2 I set the volume to double of what I use for the ZEX.

The effective sensitivity isn’t explained by those numbers!

4 Likes

Haha you beat me to these numbers. I hope an expert from ifi can offer some insight :). What’s your source that’s producing the hiss @lilhm?

1 Like

Z’s Planar off…

3 Likes

So confused - Z says the Timeless has wide and big open soundstage. Like a closed back Sundara…

Is the discrepancy in soundstage due to unit variance? Has anyone figured this out yet?

It could also be down to the tips used and the extra distance that they give.

This is not a certainty, just a guess.

It’s wide but it isn’t deep. I think most reviewers pointed that out so it’s not a unit variance.

1 Like

Yes I agree, but I don’t know what Z means by “open” soundstage. If he means wide but not deep/tall, sure…but does he?? Doesn’t clarify.

“Soundstage” some what of a moot point when it comes to IEM’s tbh…does anyone buy an IEM for soundstage :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I agree. Even my Sundara, which isn’t known for having a good soundstage with respect to other headphones, has a massive stage compared to my IEMs lol.

But I don’t want to feel trapped when listening to my IEMs either. I can get a sense of height in my Aladdin…wonder what the Timeless offers. Wish I could demo these before buying!

this one is fucking with me
clearly the dark souls logo/themed box art, but it doesn’t look like any official collaboration*
it’s also just the t-force yuan li
???

Timeless’s soundstage when driven by a Hybrid tube source is still pretty left and right with maybe a bit outside your head…the only IEM that I’ve heard that gives a true 2D ie left and right and up and down with a tad of 3D ie slight forward and behind is the Z1R…I’m sure there are other sets but I’m guessing they ain’t cheap?

1 Like

I’m going to be content with my IEMs.
I’m going to be content with my IEMs.
God damn it’s hard to be content in this hobby!

4 Likes

laughing so hard, thanks hifigo official discord

2 Likes

If you love music and listening is your thing then do just that…sets don’t make or break that…funny thing is I can still get lost in my music and enjoy my jam on a $50 set for real :+1:

3 Likes

Hiss is not a problem with the Zen DAC, rather an unintended outcome. All very sensitive IEMs hiss with all amp that has too much power (because it was output power set was more intended for headphones).

You hear no hiss with your Qudelix 5k, because it has variable sensitivity through the app, and you can set the output power to whatever you want, more or less.

As such, this is the reason why we created IEMatch. With it, hiss is solved!

4 Likes